I guess all good things do come to an end :(

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
So for 15 years La Costera has been my breakfast spot. A hidden gem in the heart of Sosua - a Cheers of sorts where everyone is always familiar and the food always rocking. Well as some of you may know Franklyn and Amarlylis recently sold the place and went back to Germany :( With high hopes on this trip I faithfully returned and went the other night for dinner. Aweful!! omfg The sopa de ajo just loaded with salt, it was so bad I couldn't even finish when in the past I could've eaten buckets of the stuff. The tangy salsa on the chicken burger completely different and yuk. Tried to go back this morning for breakfast - that has changed too :( No more plates and plates of food and I don't know what happened to the home fries but they do not taste the same at all. I think Franklin personally prepared a lot more of the food then people gave him credit for. No familiar faces either in terms of other regulars I normally would see there. Any whoo now I am in a percarious position to seek out a new spot to eat.

Anyone know of any La Costera type little gems in the batey that serve great food for good prices? I am wide open to recommendations because I now feel lost in the world.

PS sorry for the typos - I rushed this post.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Try El Rancho, on Rosen on the right side on the way to Playa Alicia
... Andy is TOP SHELF.. His wife is also always there and they are pretty hands on.
And talk to him, tell him since LaCostera closed , if he can maybe incorporate some of those dishes from La Costera ( like the 2 meat Grill dish, etc ) into his menu..

He pretty much sticks to German and THAI..
it is my Go to spot for German food.

Orchidee is also very good , but its not street level, and they are not open very often unfortunately.

Yes it used to be my favorite breakfast place. I will never go back. I used to leave full now I leave hungry. The waitress refused to answer us two different times if it was new owners bc the difference is hard to miss. You are the 5th person who I know is extremely disappointed with the change.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A few years ago I thought Costera was great and I ate there probably 3 times per week (especially for fish), but I had some friends come in from outside one week and we hooked up a big group and went for dinner. Not only was the service poor the food was wretched. I mean inedible. My 8-year old step daughter cooks better. I have not returned. Nothing lasts forever except maybe street crime in the DR and crooked police.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I second El Rancho which is consistently good, also for dinner!
Try Charlie's Bar next door (to La Costera) @ Club Residencial.
He makes a good German breakfast with cold cuts, bread, fried eggs juice and coffee.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
La Costera is not closed. It was sold to a new owner from Canada. My wife complained about the new portion size as being "Tocano".

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Very sad to hear that La Costera has changed ownership and it seemed that it is not that good anymore. I enjoyed my dinners at this small restaurant. I have had some nice and interesting conversations with the owner over the years. Very nice guy.

As some others have mentioned also - El Rancho and Charly's are good breakfast places.

I found it funny that people enjoys the "conversations" during breakfasts at New Garden.. :). It is a nice restaurant though I have to admit.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Oh no, what are we going to do?
I am going to have to watch Hound Grog's Day now.

Costera had some sort of a horse fly convention at breakfast, not my bag.
Dinner was off the hook, second to Orchidee, back in the day.

NG Hoe-Tel does have a good breakfast if you want to listen to the trials & tribulations of Camron & Moshe at 10am.

How is the breakfast now at Cafe Cubano?
When Brian was there is was pretty good.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
News Caf? across the street and down a block or so is also a good breakfast spot.

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I assume you mean she meant "taca?o". Didn't know Toucan is a a dish now too? :D

Yes I did mean exactly that. Thank you for pointing that out. Hopefully the new owners will hear about this before they drive a spot out of business that has been there for years.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my days of making recommendations are over. i used to read on DR1 about this great place in Sosua for breakfast. the reviews waxed rhapsodically about the grandeur of the repasts. one day, i took my laptop to the German guy behind Baileys, and since i had some time *to kill while he fixed it, i decided to have some breakfast at the 5 star palace. well, it licked the wiggie big time, which reminded me that one man?s trash is another man?s treasure. i thereinafter recused myself from the recommendation process.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Spring of 2014 I was eating there every other morning. The breakfast used
to be the most bang for the buck anywhere in Sosua. I guess all good things
do come to an end at some point. New Cafe is just across the street and their
breakfast is pretty darn good.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Besides good breakfast at New Garden you may learn to "talk New York". By going from time to time it saves me a good deal of money in air fare as no need to go back for a visit.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Went to New Cafe this morning. Only 4 tables and were full. Then went across the street to D'Charlys - also full. Passed La Costera - not a single person �� Ended up at Plan B WORST breakfast ever!!!!!!! Will try New Cafe again in the morning and if full will jump in the car and head over to New Garden.*

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
New Garden Breakfast is Pretty Good.. it was even BETTER years ago..but I would also recommend it for being very consistent, just not as spectacular as it once was . Prices have also gone up a little bit though, and portions did not stay the same .
sigh... nothing stays the same forever .

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Should start a thread - Diaries of trying to eat breakfast in Sosua. So... yesterday at 1pm I venture out to eat - yes I know 1pm is not exactly breakfast time but after a late Saturday night out I couldn't wake up. First to New Caf? - they were closing! Then to New Garden - they were closing. Then to Bailys argggghhh but after 2 places I needed somewhere I knew would be open because I was starving. Baily's service - terrible. Breakfast - the eggs were o.k., only brought 1 slice of toast??? Normal sausages (not like those weird alien ones at Plan B), home fries 2 out of 10 because they were like French fries - no effort. This morning I luck out at New Caf? and got a table. I liked the ambience because I ran into someone I knew there so good conversation, did not like the bathroom - I'd give the breakfast a 8 out of 10, best so far of all the places I have gone - not a ton off food though. Good home fries (much better than the new La Costera), sunny side up made right, 2 pieces of toast - normal sausages. Will try New Garden tomorrow.

Keep the recommendations coming though because I am pretty motivated to find somewhere else like La Costera that I can call home. Also would love to hear of some lunch places as well.

PS. Anyone here know Hugo the Aregentenian furniture maker who always ate at La Costera? Would love to find him to share a meal but every morning when I drive by the place is empty and I see none of the regulars. :( If you have his # please PM me :)