Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominican Driving licence - what is considerd validation

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moro View Post
    Hey,

Yes im a legal resident, i've just read somewhere if your countrys embassy doesnt validate the drivers licence you can get it done at the dominican embassy in your home country
    I have not heard that, but it might be possible.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just go to a driving school here. Pay 8000 pesos, licence garanteed! All in fee.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I have not heard that, but it might be possible.
    Im going to contact the DR embassy because so far its hearsay from a website :justlanded.com/english/Dominican-Republic/Dominican-Republic-Guide/Travel-Leisure/Driving-License

Valid driving license
    When your embassy validates the driver’s licence

You must present valid licences from your country of origin for certification from the Dominican embassy or consulate offices of your country who will verify the validity of the licence.

Once you have this you need to take your documents to be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Mirex). You will need to provide photocopies of all documents, and pay the applicable taxes

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm from London uk live in dr too if you have a uk licence Moro l would go and get a Dominican licence from the school there is a short theory test nothing like the difficulty of the uk test, then your asked to drive around a circle and park if you have your uk licence you will pass!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct
    They know you have a foreign license and can drive...

It's just a matter of satisfying the process

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

In the time it takes you to track down the correct info about validating a foreign license, you would have been able to get said license going through the regular start to finish process. For me, I was not prepared to sit on a bus for 11 hrs, spend several more hours in SD going from Embassy to Foreign affairs getting paperwork stamped. I went to the bank and paid the fees and taxes. Asked a local outside the licensing office to take me to the closest PN office to get a record check, listened to the driving class for the six important Spanish words I needed to focus on when doing the computer test and then went to to get my learners permit. It took 3 hours (including travel time to and from Puerto Plata) and $RD 2000 for the class. The class was a big help because my Spanish was worse than awful at the time. I did the computer test on my own and had no problems.

It was disheartening that I had to go back in 45 days to do my practical driving test but nowhere near as annoying as sitting on a bus and dealing the the SD traffic, bureaucracy and indifference. Of all the processes here, getting a driver's license is one of the easier ones.

If you happen to live close to SD or you have to go there for another reason, maybe it can be worth the effort to get a foreign licensed validated to save some time. The computer test takes 30 minutes and the practical driving test takes about 15 minutes. If you have to spend 3 or more hours shuffling documents, save some time and just the take the tests. One advantage of the test, you'll learn that it is an infraction to honk your horn at livestock standing on the roadway...

With the new rules cutting the wait period for a practical test to 15 days, it will be even quicker.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good advice Buster

There are ways to comply with the system without too much hardship.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
    I'm from London uk live in dr too if you have a uk licence Moro l would go and get a Dominican licence from the school there is a short theory test nothing like the difficulty of the uk test, then your asked to drive around a circle and park if you have your uk licence you will pass!
    Hey,

Sounds decent,

How long did it take you?

What was the costs involved?

Whats the name of school?

El moro,

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    In the time it takes you to track down the correct info about validating a foreign license, you would have been able to get said license going through the regular start to finish process. For me, I was not prepared to sit on a bus for 11 hrs, spend several more hours in SD going from Embassy to Foreign affairs getting paperwork stamped. I went to the bank and paid the fees and taxes. Asked a local outside the licensing office to take me to the closest PN office to get a record check, listened to the driving class for the six important Spanish words I needed to focus on when doing the computer test and then went to to get my learners permit. It took 3 hours (including travel time to and from Puerto Plata) and $RD 2000 for the class. The class was a big help because my Spanish was worse than awful at the time. I did the computer test on my own and had no problems.

It was disheartening that I had to go back in 45 days to do my practical driving test but nowhere near as annoying as sitting on a bus and dealing the the SD traffic, bureaucracy and indifference. Of all the processes here, getting a driver's license is one of the easier ones.

If you happen to live close to SD or you have to go there for another reason, maybe it can be worth the effort to get a foreign licensed validated to save some time. The computer test takes 30 minutes and the practical driving test takes about 15 minutes. If you have to spend 3 or more hours shuffling documents, save some time and just the take the tests. One advantage of the test, you'll learn that it is an infraction to honk your horn at livestock standing on the roadway...

With the new rules cutting the wait period for a practical test to 15 days, it will be even quicker.
    Thanks,

I didnt see your comment,

10. Likes La Profe_1 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=It was disheartening that I had to go back in 45 days to do my practical driving test [/QUOTE]

I politely told them I lived in the north and could not come back in 45 days for the driving test, they said Ok come back tomorrow... I did and left with my license.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast