Dominican Driving licence - what is considerd validation

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I politely told them I lived in the north and could not come back in 45 days for the driving test, they said Ok come back tomorrow... I did and left with my license.

That type of good fortune doesn't find me very often. Since I wasn't going to SD, I went to Puerto Plata. While a pain to go back 45 days later, it's a fairly quick trip down the street from Sosua so it wasn't too bad. Getting the license within a few minutes of completing the practical test, without having to go back later, not being asked to produce yet another document and without having to fill someone's outstretched hand was satisfying for this newly arrived person. That success was exactly what I needed at the time.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I am British and because it was too much trouble and expense to go to the British embassy to get my UK licence validated I didn't even try. I found it easier to take the test. And I wouldn't bother with a driving school - not necessary if you have a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish to take the theory test.

The schools are pretty funny too. In the Dominican version of what we call the "Highway Code" in the UK, it gives two different sets of speed limits. I stopped by one on the driving schools by the Puerto Plata test centre to ask which were correct and after much discussion they had no idea!

Eyes

Apr 30, 2012
Can't remember the price of the theory and practical and the card licence but it wasn't much.