Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Aftermath of Hurricanes Irma & Maria

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    The problem is she never goes out of our property. When we're there Mr. AE walks her down to the beach sometimes, but she's afraid of the water so that's not very often.

Today we heard that she was seen in Miracielo, which is probably 8-10 miles from our house, halfway to San Cristobal. Coincidentally, that's where we buy all our dog food, so he called AgroVet about an hour ago and told him about Rosita. Amazingly, he actually saw her too, but didn't know she was ours. Dominicans aren't anxious to approach a stray rottie. Told him her name, that she's a sweetie, there's a reward for her return and to please pass the word. Fingers crossed.
    please keep us posted...with good news

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

AE..I hope she is found, which I am sure she will be. Keep the faith...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

AE. The sightings sound promising for a safe return of your dog. I hope to hear good news from you with a happy ending.

Post Thanks / Like

I've held off about this, hoping for a happy ending, but so far it's not happened.

According to Mr. AE's cousin, who spends weekends at our house, our dogs [and those of others, from what I'm told] were acting nervous and abnormally leading up to Irma. We have a female rottie and a male viralata on our property. Mr. AE spoke to the caretaker, and told him to take the dogs and put them inside before the rains started, but he waited too long. Our rottie, who never goes far from the house, disappeared. The poor girl is about 9 years old and half blind.

Everyone knows we're looking for her, and we've offered a reward for her safe return, but so far there is silence. Someone thinks they saw her near a little bridge down the road a few miles. I'm sick about this, she must be tired and hungry and totally confused. I hate the "not knowing", and every day that passes means it's less likely she'll find her way home.
    Sorry to hear this. Hope she is found soon.
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

AE....I hope you get her back safe and sound soon ......the not knowing part has to be the worst ...but the fact she has been spotted a few times is a good sign

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is she never goes out of our property. When we're there Mr. AE walks her down to the beach sometimes, but she's afraid of the water so that's not very often.

Today we heard that she was seen in Miracielo, which is probably 8-10 miles from our house, halfway to San Cristobal. Coincidentally, that's where we buy all our dog food, so he called AgroVet about an hour ago and told him about Rosita. Amazingly, he actually saw her too, but didn't know she was ours. Dominicans aren't anxious to approach a stray rottie. Told him her name, that she's a sweetie, there's a reward for her return and to please pass the word. Fingers crossed.
    Got home late last night [Mr. AE in hospital, and I'd taken his phone home to charge and then forgot it there], I checked his phone and saw he had a WhatsApp message & photo from the Agrovet. Opened it and was overjoyed to see a pic of our Rosita, tied up on a chain, he had her! At first I was skeptical - I mean, all rotties look pretty much the same - but when I zoomed in I could see her left eye had white crusty stuff, which she's being treated for, so I knew it was our old girl. A flurry of phone calls to DR, and our cousin is picking her up this morning, paying the reward, and taking her home to our house. It was the only happy moment of the past 36 hours or so.

Thank you all for your supportive comments, pleased to report a happy ending.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

7. Likes Celt202, AnnaC, dulce, Matilda, Me_again and 4 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Got home late last night [Mr. AE in hospital, and I'd taken his phone home to charge and then forgot it there], I checked his phone and saw he had a WhatsApp message & photo from the Agrovet. Opened it and was overjoyed to see a pic of our Rosita, tied up on a chain, he had her! At first I was skeptical - I mean, all rotties look pretty much the same - but when I zoomed in I could see her left eye had white crusty stuff, which she's being treated for, so I knew it was our old girl. A flurry of phone calls to DR, and our cousin is picking her up this morning, paying the reward, and taking her home to our house. It was the only happy moment of the past 36 hours or so.

wonderful news. i can now uncross my fingers..

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful news.... great..

Now get back and fix that other old dog you have there...!!!
    Give Leo my best ...... get better soon

10. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    On a VERY short thread...
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading all the usual DR1 "stuff" this AM, your post was uplifting Happy to hear the pooch is safe and headed home

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sad to report that it was not Rosita, despite the same eye problem. Cousin got there and said dog was younger, was swollen with milk, so there are pups nearby, assuming they survived the rains. She's a stray, but not our stray. 

The search goes on.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast