Aftermath of Hurricanes Irma & Maria

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
IRMA in numbers:
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...so-inundaciones-y-miles-desplazados-FE8116744

regarding the power: i think edenorte may be switching off whole circuits to do repairs. each circuit has subsections and while only some of them might have been affected or damaged, they need to take down the whole area to do repairs safely. they have been working in PP practically non stop since thursday night. a technician we spoke to yesterday already had been on the streets for 16 hours - and not going home yet.

so fingers crossed that everyone will be reconnected soon.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
[computer translation. Rain bands from Irma still plaguing some areas]

Irma did not leave human victims, but caused floods and thousands displaced

SANTO DOMINGO. Without reports of fatalities, thousands of displaced people, isolated areas, bridges, houses and affected aqueducts are part of the aftermath left by Hurricane Irma as it passes through the country.

The Emergency Operations Center (COE) reported that 12,829 people continue to be sheltered and 1,899 displaced in family homes. In addition, 966 homes were affected and 108 destroyed; 38 localities remain incommunicado, 30 affected aqueducts and four affected bridges.

General Juan Manuel Méndez, director of the COE, said that a reduction of the displaced is expected in the next few hours, as many are returning to their homes.

He further stated that because the phenomenon moved away from the country, alert levels were lowered, leaving only San Juan and Montecristi in red. In yellow are Samaná, Maria Trinidad Sánchez, Puerto Plata, Dajabón and Valverde.

On the green alert are Azua, San Cristóbal, San Pedro de Macorís, Monte Plata, Sanchez Ramírez, La Vega, Santiago, Espaillat, Hermanas Mirabal, Santo Domingo, El Seibo, Hato Mayor, Monseñor Nouel, Barahona and Duarte.

Francisco Holguín, of the National Office of Meteorology (Onamet), warned that cloud bands associated with Irma will continue to cause precipitation for another 24 hours, with greater intensity in the southern and border area. The forecasts are that in Monte Cristi, Puerto Plata, Santiago, San Cristóbal, Azua, Baní and San Juan there will continue to be rains of considerable values.

Aníbal Piña, of the Port Authority, reported that the docks of the port Duarte in Samaná, the old one of Puerto Plata and of Manzanillo suffered damages.

"By way of consequences are not open operations, however the other ports of the country if they are operating normally," he said.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health formed directives for patients exposed to diseases with contaminated water.

The National Institute of Hydraulic Resources (INDRHI), a spokesperson for the Dams and Reserves Operation Committee (COPRE), stressed that dams are normalizing.

In the case of the Tavera dam in Santiago, which had been established at the 315th margin, it is now at the 320th level which allows it to accumulate 7 million cubic meters per second.

While the Sabaneta dam, in the southern region, the water received forced the free spill so the population is asked to follow the official guidelines. Meanwhile, 31 aqueducts and several points without power remain outside services.

328 displaced families in Mesopotamia, San Juan:
Before Hurricane Irma passed through the southern region, 328 families were displaced from the vulnerable sector of Mesopotamia, San Juan de la Maguana, due to the large entrance of water that had the Sabaneta dam because of the flood that the rivers presented San Juan , Maguana, Dajay, and La Rubia.

From this place, which was hit by Hurricane George in 1998, a total of 1,640 people were forced to move to relatives and friends with the help of members of the Armed Forces and the National Police, according to the provincial director of the Civil Defense, Sandra Matos.

As of yesterday 1, 170 people remained in displaced status. Matos said that the vulnerability of Mesopotamia is due to the fact that it is located in the middle of the San Juan River, so that its residents are in danger of a flood of the tributary.

Also in the communities of El Capá, Lavapiés, Los Fríos, El Gengibre, La Ciénaga de Mogollón there were displacements of people residing in vulnerable homes for a total of 2, 232 evacuees throughout the province.

Matos also detailed that members of the Civil Defense follow the refugees.

The figures left by Irma

People have been displaced by the rains left behind by Hurricane Irma.

Homes affected, 966 damaged and 108 destroyed.

38 Incommunicado towns. Public Works carries out debris removal and tree fall in: Seybo-Miches Road, Sánchez-Samaná Road, Yuma-Higüey, among others.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...so-inundaciones-y-miles-desplazados-FE8116744

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Just to add to the power mystery.... told by my electrician that a main power line is down but should be repaired today. That indicates to me that once the main line is restored they will find lots of other problems that they don't know about yet.

I'm going to shut off my main Edenorte breaker so I don't get power surges and on/off/on/off that that mess me up more.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Just to add to the power mystery.... told by my electrician that a main power line is down but should be repaired today. That indicates to me that once the main line is restored they will find lots of other problems that they don't know about yet.

I'm going to shut off my main Edenorte breaker so I don't get power surges and on/off/on/off that that mess me up more.

yes. they are working on the biggest problems first (fallen electricity posts, transformadores blown away, broken cables). then they reconnect the power and go after the small stuff like blown fuses and so on.

some of the issues when the power comes back on come from the fact that many people are dumb, greedy, desperate asswipes. they do not know how to manage their household and when the power comes back on everyone overloads the grid charging inversors at max capacity, they turn on all the lights, water pumps, whatnot.

yday when our power came back we turned off the heater and warmed up water for washing on the stove. the inversor stayed off until just before we wen t to bed when we connected it again and put it at slow charge. we stayed all evening with only one light on and did not plug some unnecessary stuff until this morning.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
5:00 PM Sat. East of Sosua.

Good points dv8. I'm thinking with 1,000s of refers, AC units, inverters/chargers, water pumps, pool pumps, TVs and stuff demanding power that the grid is going to go nuts with surges and brown outs that can/will really screw up a lot of appliances and electronics. Then they need to look for other problems so power may go on/off/on/off causing more surge and brown outs. Not good at all. That's why I cut my Edenorte main breaker and will wait some time to let the grid stabilize.

On an up note? Since my gen. is doing so nicely, I'm enjoying a lot of AC, have my inverter batteries fully charged in case I need them, running our greenish pool 24 hours to get it clean ASAP and have filled my cistern via well and purification systems.

Hope to reinstall my solar panels on Tues. wind allowing. :)

Edit note: Edenorte not on yet!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Work is apparently being done on this ongoing outage. EdeNorte estimated power to be restored between 6 - 7 pm tonight which has now come and gone. My power switched on and off three times this afternoon/evening and I am west of Sosua.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Work is apparently being done on this ongoing outage. EdeNorte estimated power to be restored between 6 - 7 pm tonight which has now come and gone. My power switched on and off three times this afternoon/evening and I am west of Sosua.

I think I counted 8 times until I a very loud explosion around 8 Pm. Now almost 9 PM. I suspect tomorrow will be another day.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Power restored in Lomas Mironas 30 min ago.

Flickering off and on

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are already burning tires in PP today because of the power not being back on in some areas. i was thinking how some places in the states did not have power after sandy for weeks and that PP would be literally burned down to the ground if the power was not restored within one week tops. i gotta hand it to this backwards bananaland government that they can handle emergencies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there are already burning tires in PP today because of the power not being back on in some areas. i was thinking how some places in the states did not have power after sandy for weeks and that PP would be literally burned down to the ground if the power was not restored within one week tops. i gotta hand it to this backwards bananaland government that they can handle emergencies.

i have had nothing but praise for them...the place looked like hell when it was over in the evening, yet there were people who had electricity by midnight..

what i wonder is how internet service was not interrupted.

i will not bother to discuss earths singularly most foul service, Telecable POP.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If DR had actually received some strong tropical storm force winds or even hurricane force gusts, I hate to think of the consequences.

It got off real light as weather station reports confirm with barely a gale.

In TCI which got perhaps Cat 1 plus winds north of eyewall they expect a week without electricity. Been there done that and it is horrible days on end without power and water.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If DR had actually received some strong tropical storm force winds or even hurricane force gusts, I hate to think of the consequences.

It got off real light as weather station reports confirm with barely a gale.

In TCI which got perhaps Cat 1 plus winds north of eyewall they expect a week without electricity. Been there done that and it is horrible days on end without power and water.

actually, the hit on the DR was not that much, either. at least not in POP. i hear Nagua took a shellacking, but i did not see anything that devastating in this neck of the woods.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
actually, the hit on the DR was not that much, either. at least not in POP. i hear Nagua took a shellacking, but i did not see anything that devastating in this neck of the woods.

Check the weather station records.

Gale or near gale on Beaufort scale for parts of the north and sub TS most elsewhere. Non wind event thankfully for DR. It surely cant handle a real strong TS direct hit at best and historically that never happens thank god.

Too much hype here. The island impacts were massively huge in comparison.

Nagua had fun with the storm surge because it is so very flat as posted earlier on their twitter page....reminiscent of the tsunami surge in Thailand but way far less in the videos of water rushing into the town with people running away.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Check the weather station records.

Gale or near gale on Beaufort scale for parts of the north and sub TS most elsewhere. Non wind event thankfully for DR.

Too much hype here. The island impacts were massively huge in comparison.

Nagua had fun with the storm surge because it is so very flat as posted earlier on their twitter page....reminiscent of the tsunami surge in Thailand but way far less in the videos of water rushing into the town with people running away.

i saw some footage of places like Barbuda..that place is just about done..

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
i saw some footage of places like Barbuda..that place is just about done..

My heart bleeds. Spent much time on that paradise.

The videos shocked me at the extent of the damage to everywhere I know, but the people are strong and have hacked it with just one death. Now that was Irma with all its initial fury.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Same here west of Kite Beach. Odd thing is, we had power after IRMA passed and now it has been off for 23 hours. Edenorte works in mysterious ways. I just spoke to Edenorte. They have no idea when power will be restored. Could be new transformer requirement is what our problem is as well since we are east of Lomas Mironas. No power was visible last night along the highway where I normally see street lights.

"Edenorte works in mysterious ways". Sums it up perfectly. Expats are not alone in this. The Dominicans have no idea what is going on with their electric company.