Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Hipster's Guide to Santo Domingo

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Now I think I am catching on. Saying the population is 1,000,000 is misleading because people will think it is 1,000,000 hipster rich folks?
    No Bird -- No.

It's inaccurate reporting to start with....wrong population cited.
    It misleads the reader about the size of SD---not 1M but maybe 4m... big diffy diffy

If you think the writer missed the boat on the population,
    how much faith have you got in the reports of the various venues he covered ?? Huh ??

The who;e thing falls apart in my eyes...
    Not unusual to start with a headline and write the story to fit the bill....

instead of the reverse... report accurately and apply a headline./ title

not saying he did that but .....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    No Bird -- No.

It's inaccurate reporting to start with....wrong population cited.
    It misleads the reader about the size of SD---not 1M but maybe 4m... big diffy diffy,,,,,,,,,,,

If you think the writer missed the boat on the population,
    how much faith have you got in the reports of the various venues he covered ?? Huh ??

The who;e thing falls apart in my eyes...
    Not unusual to start with a headline and write the story to fit the bill....

instead of the reverse... report accurately and apply a headline./ title

not saying he did that but .....
    Guess that all depends on how you look at what is and what is not Santo Domingo. Anyone who lives just west of the airport all the way to the autopista toll plaza heading towards Santiago will say they live in Santo Domingo. Maybe if he used Santo Domingo Centro or Santo Domingo Distrito Nacional would have been better?

As previously mentioned there are four Santo Domingos. If you group them all together than the population would be 3.4 mil but if you take just plain Santo Domingo would not the population be 1 mil.

Keep in mind there is SD este, oeste, norte, and DN.

3. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Santo Domingo - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_Domingo

In 2010, its population was counted as 965,040, rising to 2,908,607 when its surrounding metropolitan area was included. The city is coterminous with the boundaries of the Distrito Nacional ("D.N.", "National District"), itself bordered on three sides by Santo Domingo Province.

That being said I can see where the author is correct as his article had absolutely nothing to do with the surrounding metropolitan areas. No hipster is going to hang out in SD este.

5. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i remember times sitting in Vesuvio and watching the Ferraris and Maseratis rolling by...the DR does have its upscale side. the issue is the discrepancy between the people who have had access and exposure, and those who have not.
    I miss eating at Vesuvio. Always wanted the real reason it closed even though it had gone downhill over the last couple of years.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you've got it Bird.... exactly the point....

But that's like talking about South Beach in Miami and just measuring the neighborhood... not Miami.

Technically, yes but when Sto Dom is mentioned, I doubt many break it into the 4 pieces we're talking about

Anyway....
    I bet the Tourismo dept would use a larger number than 1M to advertise the capital....
    Makes it more attractive to some - a bigger number

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hard times doug View Post
    I miss eating at Vesuvio.
    Me too.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Actually , saying 1,000,000 is an injustice to the reading audience (and to RD)

It's misleading at best - if not flat out innacurate
    Ah, but now you have learned a simple trait of the so called millennials (21-35), for better or worse. Fact checking does not enter the equation in many situations. They are not sticklers for details as such. This conflict is global within this demographic.

10. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hard times doug View Post
    I miss eating at Vesuvio. Always wanted the real reason it closed even though it had gone downhill over the last couple of years.
    Vesuvio closed because they could not maintain their high quality of product and service. It was a beautiful experience that succumbed to modern pressures.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Ah, but now you have learned a simple trait of the so called millennials (21-35), for better or worse. Fact checking does not enter the equation in many situations. They are not sticklers for details as such. This conflict is global within this demographic.

Hahaha
    I have two of them.... just turning 33&31....
    Girls.... my two are huge sticklers....world travelers too...
    One 4.5 yrs in Australia, now London...just bought a house after 3 yrs

But generally they are ... would frivolous be right ?
    Other than the house, the U.K. Girl just floats on trips... good job but heavy travel

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You are blessed sir. May I recommend a bottle of J.P. Wiser's Dissertation for you.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast