A Hipster's Guide to Santo Domingo

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I would like to disagree. I've noticed over the last few years how the Dominican middle class has been growing in size in Santo Domingo. There are some very cool bars and places to eat in the Colonial Zone, and these aren't all packed out with Vicinis and Bonettis, there are plenty of middle class Dominicans. The examples in this article are not great - I assume whoever wrote it didn't do much research - but places like Bio bar on Sanchez, Espiral or Mamey on Mercedes are very trendy, by anyone's standards. And regarding the hotels, the Sheraton, Catalonia, Nicolas d'Ovando and a lot of the boutique hotels are currently in a bit of a price war so you can stay pretty much anywhere for about US$ 100 plus tax. In Miami it costs you about US$ 40 for overnight parking and another US$ 40 for breakfast, before you even think about the cost of the room. So this is a great option for a weekend getaway.

Santo Domingo does attract a lot of US visitors coming over for the weekend. I own a hotel and this is a big part of our business, seriously anything this type of article can do to help promote that is entirely welcome. Even if the population stats are incorrect, the general message is one that we really need to get out there.

I agree with you. Many of my friends working in the tourism industry are now upper class in income level. They do go to the trendy places often.
I think the older members of DR1 are still stuck in the older days where Dominicans could only afford the local colmado. 
The article isn't totally spot on but it does reflect current times in SD.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree with you. Many of my friends working in the tourism industry are now upper class in income level. They do go to the trendy places often.
I think the older members of DR1 are still stuck in the older days where Dominicans could only afford the local colmado. 
The article isn't totally spot on but it does reflect current times in SD.

the older members of DR1 do not know dick about the country outside their gated community. they have no contact outside of their immediate significant other. they have no clue what goes on in the greater society. they think all Dominicans are medievals, because they dont ask for Grey Poupon.

there is a very well known guy from Bonao, whose name i wont call at this time, who is a friend of mine. i remember 15 years ago, this guy would get jazz cds the day after they came on the market. he had a friend in Miami who would pre order them, and would ship them Fed Ex the same day. he would have them the next day. not too many DR1 members could sit and argue jazz with him..he would eat them alive.

these guys are not as backward as people want to think.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I do agree with other posters, there is a tendency for some to think of Dominicans living in Santo Domingo as the poorest people who live in a shack in Guandules, and forget that all those towers in Bella Vista, Naco, Piantini, Esperilla etc are inhabited by Dominicans. They can't all be politicians. There's definitely quite a lot of money in this city.

I'm quite amazed how quickly Santo Domingo is developing, driven mainly by this rise in the number of what I'm calling middle-class Dominicans. Look closely at the people eating at even top end restaurants like Pat e Palo, they're mainly Dominican. I was wandering around Sambil yesterday and it was rammed, hard to find an empty table in the huge food court, almost everyone Dominincan families (and even in a food court a meal for 4 will come in at about RD$2000). Even IKEA which was always a graveyard except at the weekend is getting busy with Dominican customers. It is a city on the up, and it's right that the foreign press is picking up on this, even if they aren't getting their facts entirely correct.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.... I was wandering around Sambil yesterday and it was rammed, hard to find an empty table in the huge food court, almost everyone Dominincan families (and even in a food court a meal for 4 will come in at about RD$2000). Even IKEA which was always a graveyard except at the weekend is getting busy with Dominican customers. It is a city on the up, and it's right that the foreign press is picking up on this, even if they aren't getting their facts entirely correct.

Sundays at the beach for middle class Dominicans has been replaced with Sundays at the food court in one of the Santo Domingo Malls, and they are not ordering plato del dia. Those who don't get out often still think la rep dom is third world. There still remain parts that are but the country as a whole is far from it.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I do agree with other posters, there is a tendency for some to think of Dominicans living in Santo Domingo as the poorest people who live in a shack in Guandules, and forget that all those towers in Bella Vista, Naco, Piantini, Esperilla etc are inhabited by Dominicans. They can't all be politicians. There's definitely quite a lot of money in this city.

I'm quite amazed how quickly Santo Domingo is developing, driven mainly by this rise in the number of what I'm calling middle-class Dominicans. Look closely at the people eating at even top end restaurants like Pat e Palo, they're mainly Dominican. I was wandering around Sambil yesterday and it was rammed, hard to find an empty table in the huge food court, almost everyone Dominincan families (and even in a food court a meal for 4 will come in at about RD$2000). Even IKEA which was always a graveyard except at the weekend is getting busy with Dominican customers. It is a city on the up, and it's right that the foreign press is picking up on this, even if they aren't getting their facts entirely correct.

I think you must live here for many years. 2000 Pesos, 35 Euros? For 4? 
Man, we would not even cook anymore in northern Europe.
Ikea? That's for the poor in EU.
Ok it is developing I assume, but not exegerate please.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
the older members of DR1 do not know dick about the country outside their gated community. they have no contact outside of their immediate significant other. they have no clue what goes on in the greater society. they think all Dominicans are medievals, because they dont ask for Grey Poupon.

there is a very well known guy from Bonao, whose name i wont call at this time, who is a friend of mine. i remember 15 years ago, this guy would get jazz cds the day after they came on the market. he had a friend in Miami who would pre order them, and would ship them Fed Ex the same day. he would have them the next day. not too many DR1 members could sit and argue jazz with him..he would eat them alive.

these guys are not as backward as people want to think.

That's great Gorgon. 

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Some of the older posters here are whore mongers who only hang out in the skankiest and sex touristy parts of town like Boca Chica, Av. Independencia, 12 de Haina, etc. Which is why some of them have such image of DR, because they dont know any better. The only dominicans they hang out with are all sanki pankis.

I remember once, back in 2006 when the real estate boom was starting to take off in Santo Domingo, someone opened a thread here showing all the new projects and constructions in town and i remember reading all the comments saying that these buildings were all mean't for tourists and expats, and not for the dominican middle high class, because that doesn't exists here. Mind you, Santo Domingo was not touristy at all back then. If you were in Santo Domingo and you didn't know any spanish, you were pretty much screwed. But for them DR was all Punta Cana (resorts), Boca Chica, Cabarete, Sosua and Las Terrenas. They didn't know any better. That's because they don't get out of their skanky sex touristy villages.

Obviously not all of DR1 thinks that way, but back then it was definitely worse.

Last edited:

Natu

Jan 20, 2013

I remember people in this forum saying that all those buildings were made for tourists and expats. That no dominican could afford to live in these buildings... And no, i'm not joking, people in this forum really believed that.

For them, there was no such thing as a middle class dominican. You weren't dominican, unless you lived in a shack with zinc roof and your main job was to be a sanki panki.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The article is nonsense from the first mention of 1,000,000 population.

If you didn't know better you'd think Santo Domingo is a cool, hip medium-sized town where hipsters can free range in luxury on the cheap.

Reality could not be further from the truth.

Why is the article nonsense? Numerous posters have broken down the 1 mil population number, and why the author may have come to that number. It is not that difficult to understand. What is difficult to understand is your reluctance to grasp that there is indeed "a cool, hip" section of businesses that the 21-35 demographic seem to be flocking to....and enjoying. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but why rain on the parade that exists for others? Sounds more like sour grapes to me.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some of the older posters here are whore mongers who only hang out in the skankiest and sex touristy parts of town like Boca Chica, Av. Independencia, 12 de Haina, etc. Which is why some of them have such image of DR, because they dont know any better. The only dominicans they hang out with are all sanki pankis.

I remember once, back in 2006 when the real estate boom was starting to take off in Santo Domingo, someone opened a thread here showing all the new projects and constructions in town and i remember reading all the comments saying that these buildings were all mean't for tourists and expats, and not for the dominican middle high class, because that doesn't exists here. Mind you, Santo Domingo was not touristy at all back then. If you were in Santo Domingo and you didn't know any spanish, you were pretty much screwed. But for them DR was all Punta Cana (resorts), Boca Chica, Cabarete, Sosua and Las Terrenas. They didn't know any better. That's because they don't get out of their skanky sex touristy villages.

Obviously not all of DR1 thinks that way, but back then it was definitely worse.

it's the same guys today. only the names have changed. they don't know that there are upscale Dominicans who are up to date on some of the modern offerings of the world. they think all Dominicans are like their 'friend', the guy whom they tag along with them to talk to the girls they want to pick up. you know the guy. he goes to all the bars with them, and he gets his free beer and a few pesos if he succeeds in getting them a real looker.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
So nice to see other people who have a more positive view of Dominicans on this forum. I think there is a massive divide between those of us who speak Spanish and mix in Dominican society and those who don't, so are stuck with the sanky pankies and chapidoras as their only link to the resident population.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I always remember a north coast-based poster stating that no Dominican would ever eat sushi.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So nice to see other people who have a more positive view of Dominicans on this forum. I think there is a massive divide between those of us who speak Spanish and mix in Dominican society and those who don't, so are stuck with the sanky pankies and chapidoras as their only link to the resident population.

try to remember this...a large portion of the expats who end up in third world countries do not go there because they want to be a part of the scene. some are running away from things back home, and are basically in refugee status. others were never able to fit in where they are from, and believed that they could make it abroad. so, they moved to lands where they can't speak the language, and will never fit in.

then there is my pet category...the ones who go for the easy, cheap sex. they could not get dogs to bark at them back home, but they have a bank account which allows them to pick up a string of hotties. the first time they visitied the country they knew they were going to live here.

none of these categories know squat about the country. if you ask them where to score the best Angus beef, they will tell you 10 places. if you want an inverter, they will direct you. they can tell you which brand of air conditioner works best in the local climate. but they do not have the faintest clue about the people.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Along with what you mention I believe location is a key factor. A lot of expats live on the north coast and their only knowledge of Santo Domingo is a one day trip to do paperwork for residencia and cedula. OK, they may also do a quickie in la zona and lunch in plaza espana. Outside of that they have no clue what SD Centro is really like.

SD Centro is about as first world as first world can be.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anytime you can put together a few million people.... the world follows..

Retail, restaurants, products... I have said for years, you want for nothing in SD.

I don't necessarily partake - but I see the opportunity ....
It's all there for the taking/enjoying - whatever.

Beyond the budgets of many....ex-pat or otherwise...
but there are enough spenders to carry the community...

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I've said hat SD is good for Hipster but not for the reason mentioned in the article.
I don't know how you guys defined hipsters but for me hipster are kinda like the new hippies.

Hipsters like to start trends, they would be found in a bohemian  type joint rather than a high-in place. They would rather drink a Past Blue Ribbon than a Craft beer (unless they made it themselves ). They stay at hostels or boutique hotel rather than 100+ night tower.  

SD offers many places for Hipsters, I just think most places mentioned in the article are not hipster spots. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The hipster identified here is the Craft Beer variety by my estimation 

Not the freeze dried hippy type.....

Look into Laurel some weekend for a flavor

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The hipster identified here is the Craft Beer variety by my estimation 

Not the freeze dried hippy type.....

Look into Laurel some weekend for a flavor

I am an oldster but that is the type of hipster I also thought the author was speaking about.