Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extension (Prorroga) of Tourist Card in SD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extension (Prorroga) of Tourist Card in SD

Hello,

Has anyone managed to successfully extend their tourist card at Migracion in SD? I have read through the majority of threads on the issue, but all I see are people posting requirements for the process as opposed to their actual experiences doing it.

My situation: I plan on going to SD for three months, after which time I will go by bus to Haiti and spend two weeks there before flying back home (the US). Since I am doubting you can pay your tourist card overstay fee at the land borders, it's best if I just extend the tourist card in SD itself for the duration of my stay. I'd like to know:

- How time-consuming the process was AND/OR
    - If documents like the "medical certificate" were actually solicited during the experience (I am 29 years old and fit, if appearances matter)

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I physically went to the immigration office in Santo Domingo.  They denied it was possible and handed me a printout of the overstay fines and said to just pay when I left.  You’re probably too young to know what a “bum’s rush” is, but that’s what I got.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

3. Likes bienamor, SKY liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I physically went to the immigration office in Santo Domingo.  They denied it was possible and handed me a printout of the overstay fines and said to just pay when I left.  You’re probably too young to know what a “bum’s rush” is, but that’s what I got.  

Maybe will be more easy to get a Dominican visa stamped in your passport, every body just pay the fine before leave.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to think the only people who are
    really concerned about whether or not gringos
    are in this country legally... are the gringos.

Post Thanks / Like

On the one hand, I agree that there is probably an undue amount of worry on the part of gringos given how lax the government seems to be re: overstaying. On the other hand, I have been in too many situations where some low-level government employee all of a sudden tries to enforce the otherwise ignored rules as they are literally written, either for a bribe or just because, "But...the rules!!!"

The issue in this case is my exit via the land border, as I can imagine some "official" there deciding to not let me leave or otherwise severely delaying me because I've overstayed with no extension. I'd be more than happy to pay the overstay fee at the land border, but I haven't been given any indication that that's even possible.

7. Dislikes DRob disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm overstaying the 30 days in January and was told by the Dominican Embassy here in Ottawa that I pay when I leave. No big deal.
    On another note my Dominican husband gets bothered way more than I ever have coming into and leaving the DR. A lot of those airport immigration workers seem to expect something from him!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Although discussed often, I don’t remember one instance of hearing about a granted extension 

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The system is really simple. You enter the DR, leave the DR, and pay what you owe for overstaying when you leave.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

And every agency will tell you that 

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast