Extension (Prorroga) of Tourist Card in SD

jgolak

Dec 8, 2017
Thanks everyone.

Some other searching had reference to going to the airport to get an "extension" on their 30 ay card. Has any of you heard of someone being able to do that without coming in on a flight that day?

jgolak

Dec 8, 2017
As a fellow Dominican citizen, I support this statement 110%. Historically, it's the expatriate community which takes exception to the long running practice, thereby creating more complications for themselves then necessary.

Thank you, from what I understand is that getting the car insurance is not the problem. It's getting them to pay if you're there beyond the expiration of your 30 day Tourist Card. Has anyone heard of this happening?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks everyone.

Some other searching had reference to going to the airport to get an "extension" on their 30 ay card. Has any of you heard of someone being able to do that without coming in on a flight that day?

No................

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thank you, from what I understand is that getting the car insurance is not the problem. It's getting them to pay if you're there beyond the expiration of your 30 day Tourist Card. Has anyone heard of this happening?

No........................

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
At the risk of sounding bitchy, I'm wondering if those who consistently responded "just pay the overstay fee when you leave" actually read my post.

I am taking a Haiti-bound bus and leaving via the land border. I am NOT leaving via the airport. To the best of my knowledge, there are no "overstay fee collectors" at the land border crossings. Hence, I am forced to get the extension unless you can somehow access the "overstay pay area" in the Santo Domingo airport without actually having a flight ticket.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
And again, I would love it if the immigration officials at the Haitian border didn't care if I overstayed. But I'm not rely on somebody's whims like that.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
At the risk of sounding bitchy, I'm wondering if those who consistently responded "just pay the overstay fee when you leave" actually read my post.

I am taking a Haiti-bound bus and leaving via the land border. I am NOT leaving via the airport. To the best of my knowledge, there are no "overstay fee collectors" at the land border crossings. Hence, I am forced to get the extension unless you can somehow access the "overstay pay area" in the Santo Domingo airport without actually having a flight ticket.

Many posters with a wealth of knowledge have responded, but I believe you may be waiting for an answer that does not currently exist.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks Sky, just don't want to lose what we've saved to move to the DR to someone trying to pin a claim on a non-resident.

Insurance companies are under no obligation to pay for an accident if you are here beyond your legal time. They might pay. Being stopped and let go by the police, as SKY mentioned, is no indication as to what the insurance company will do.
A far better question is did all of those staying without residency who had accidents have their insurance companies pay for the accidents?

I have never heard of anyone extending their tourist card successfully. So you just hope for the best and pay the exit fee when you leave. Maybe someday a new visitor's visa plan will exist.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Insurance companies are under no obligation to pay for an accident if you are here beyond your legal time. They might pay. Being stopped and let go by the police, as SKY mentioned, is no indication as to what the insurance company will do.
A far better question is did all of those staying without residency who had accidents have their insurance companies pay for the accidents?

I have never heard of anyone extending their tourist card successfully. So you just hope for the best and pay the exit fee when you leave. Maybe someday a new visitor's visa plan will exist.

As to your question about people with no residency getting paid by Insurance companies, I know more than one or two that were paid. And I have never heard of any that were not. Granted it is a very small sample but until someone actually comes forward that was not paid it is all we have to go on.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
jgolak
Listen to Windy.... that is the best answer you will get.

We had another experience reported here related to visitors-
an 'overstayer' had a serious medical operation --- a few thousand US$$ - using his local health coverage.

It was reported that the 'fine print' stipulated a lower limit for nonresidents... aka visitors.
Cost him quite a bit..... and was a surprise

Not a good idea to 'play the odds' -- IMO
Although many do

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If a Hospital paying or not paying out of the DR medical insurance is your example you have a long way to go. I am a DR citizen and would not even attempt to use out of the DR insurance here. The point that he was paid anything was pretty good.

The bottom line is the guy is asking about staying more than 30 days and you want him to jump through hoops and spend a lot of money to do so.

Totally obnoxious..............

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Consider the messenger shot............

I just reported what we have seen her - DR1

Personally.... I have never overstayed the card..........
Lived here for 9 yrs... got residency before moving...2008.

RD is one of the few (if only) countries with no minimum stay requirement.

We all walk our own path..... I asked nuttin' from nobody when I did it....
Hence had no signal interference

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I once went to the office on the Malecon west of Churchill and paid my overstay fee so I could get through the airport quickly. I think it was one of my long overstays (like over a year). I don't know if they still do that but at the time they had the overstay fees posted at the window where I paid.
I crossed into Haiti and back and my passport was not stamped or even really checked much (maybe because although I speak Spanish I have an obvious gringo accent.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
I once went to the office on the Malecon west of Churchill and paid my overstay fee so I could get through the airport quickly. I think it was one of my long overstays (like over a year). I don't know if they still do that but at the time they had the overstay fees posted at the window where I paid.
I crossed into Haiti and back and my passport was not stamped or even really checked much (maybe because although I speak Spanish I have an obvious gringo accent.

This is super helpful! I am keeping my fingers crossed that that they can still do this at the Malecon office, because I'm not interested in leaving anything to chance at the border. I am visiting the Dominican consulate here in NYC next week to see if they can tell me if this is still possible.