Is there such an animal?

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Looking to locate in the DR to escape the US winters for about 5 months out of the year. I've been traveling to the DR for about 6 years and absolutely love the place. I've driven all over the island and the one thing I can't find is a beach house! The North Coast has "communities" near beaches (Costambar, Sousa, Cabarete, Sea Hourse Ranch) but nothing on the beach. Plus the North Coast is not to appealing for beaches in winter because it averages about 5 degeees cooler than the South. The Punta Cana/Bavaro area is warm and beautiful but the all-inclusives have gobbled up all the beaches. Santo Domingo has no beaches and west of SD twoards San Cristobal is no mans land. La Romana has Casa de Campo but most of the houses on the beach are on bluffs and that area is a little to pricey for me. I checked out San Pedro but there was not a tourist to be found much less a beach house. Boca Chica I have not checked out because of the sleeze factor but if there were a place nearby I would consider.
By process of elimination I have focused on Juan Dolio. Close to Metro Golf Course, 45 minutes fron SD for nightlife and shopping and it looks like they have great beaches that actually have beach houses. Can anyone on this board suggest a good real estate broker for the Juan Dolio area or better yet know of a beach house?
The East and West Coast of the US have literally hundreds of thousands of beach homes. Am I overlooking a part of the DR I should be considering? Samana has no golf. Luperon has no shopping. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks, Golfer

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Why don't you come on down and rent in Juan Dolio before making up your mind. Mail rmallen@codetel.net.do or r.mallen@codetel.net.do (not sure if with the dot or without).
She has just remodelled her beach house in Guayacanes (fronting the beach) and recently told me she would be renting for the winter months. Then you can make up your mind of the area is right for you.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There are several beach houses in JD for sale!

I'll take a walk down the road tomorrow and email you eith brokers names and phone # altho' the best thing for you to do would be to come on down and have a look.
Have you thought of buying a place in Metro Golf and Country club?
It really is a short distance to the public beach in JD.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Thanks for the help and suggestions. The place in Guayacanes sounds great. I've played the course at Metro many times and while the course and surrounding homes are beautiful the idea of staying in a gated community does not appeal to me. I know that most of the houses on the beach in Juan Dolio have walls and gates for security but somehow waking up and looking out at the water beats looking at fat guys in shorts playing golf. Plus, I saw that they were constructing an Embassy Suites inside the complex near the golf clubhouse. It will be impressive when completed but I'm sure will change the character of the neighborhood. Besides, what I like so much about the DR are it's people and inside those gates the only Dominicans I met were working in service and maintenance jobs. A couple of other questions for the Juan Dolio experts on the board:
When I was in the area it appeared as if tourism was way down, empty restaurants, golf courses, and resorts and then I drove through Gary Player's Guavaberry Resort on the main highway. The scale of complex was staggering, almost like another city. Are there actually going to be enough tourists to fill these places?
I know violent crime is not a big problem in the DR but with the omnipresent security is thievery a major concern? Thanks again for helping a neophyte.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My friend whose house I referred to above is single with a little four year old daughter. She spends her weekends at the Guayacanes house alone with her daughter, so I would assume violent crime is not a major problem, although prevention is always the best way to avoid crime.

If you do not keep cash or major valuables in the house, you will not lure crime. Most crime is the result of insider information. For example, you may have a maid who innocently comments to a friend of hers that she works at the house of a foreigner who keeps cash in the house. Then that friend may comment to another and before you know it, someone may attempt to break in. If it is known that there is nothing worth breaking in for, no one is likely to bother you. Also, once you are there you should network with the neighbors and the people in the area so that they become your friends and interested in your well being. Again, our suggestion is that you first rent and get to know the area.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
As I sit looking at the beach from my balcony....

I must agree with Dolores........

Yes tourism is way down. Also the smaller hotels at this end of JD are all closed at the moment (are they going to re-open????). However we like this end because there is more contact with the locals, less people at the beaches,less noise and it's very relaxing. Only a short bike ride or long walk to either Guyacanes or the new part of Juan Dolio.

We also advise anyone who is interested in buying a place here either for winters only like us or who are planning on moving permanently to come down, rent, travel around and then decide.

Good luck and stay in touch....we're leaving for home this week but will be back in Nov. Maybe we'll see you around......

PS I'll email those real estate #'s a little later......just drinking my coffee!! :D

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Muchas Gracias

Thanks Dolores and MommyC. Sounds like renting is the way to go. I'll eagerly await your info. BTW Mommy C which end of Juan Dolio is your end?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Jaun Dolio is extremely slow right now and I don't think it will pick up to where it used to be. The reason I think it will not pick up is because now the tourists are going to East instead. I was there for the month's of Feburary and March to see if I wanted to move back to the area. Most stores and resturants are for sale because the streets are empty. Last year there were several phone/internet centers and all but 2 of them are closed from lack of business. I still like the area very much because of the small town atmosphere. It is also close enough to the capitol and San Pedro to travel to make purchases. Crime in the area is on the increase because of the lack of employment but this trend can be said of any depressed area of any country. It is possible to live there safely by learning from others who live there how to protect your property . It is true that there are many properties for sale or rent in the area but I feel that the prices are too high for the area now. Guaycanes sounds like a good choice for you to go and spend some time to see if in fact you want to buy something in the Jaun Dolio area. If you have any personal questions please feel free to contact me via e-mail. I can give you some names of people who live and own businesses there who will give you an honest opinion and advice. Good Luck

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
The old JD......

as opposed to the "new" JD in the Metro/Villas del Mar area.
Actually we live in the very "center" of JD at the crossroads to Playa Juan Dolio and Los Conucos.
We like it here.....yes it has been VERY dead this year however it suits us as we "live" here as opposed to being tourists. There are still three good restaurants this end and a bar and a gym for workouts. The beach is great!! and the street quiet for bike rides,walking etc. (just not at night.....!) There is little crime except for "purse and jewellry " snatching but if you don't wear or carry any you're ok! :D
It's a very convenient area, close to the golf club,buses to SP or SD, taxi stand right across the street, two mini-markets plus the local colmados across the highway.
We have a car which makes it easier to get around but it really isn't necessary (more of a want than a need). We like to go with one of the area dive shops to Catalina and Saona a few times each year.
One question for you Golfer......you said you want to get a place to "winter". Isn't it kinda late this year to be looking? You really need to come down when it is winter to see what it's like.
There are a couple of condo's in our building that are rental units (mainly long term rentals) and from the tone of your posts I gather you're looking for a place that is fairly "Upscale" as opposed to middle of the road. This would be one of the places where you would feel more comfortable.
Yes prices are high in the area but I believe that is due to the fact that it IS a desirable area to be in. I've heard lots or things about other areas and that is one of the reasons we bought here (been here 12/13 yrs now).
The gov't has plans to revitalize the area (when is anyones guess-hopefully the PLD will be re-elected as it was their plan) however at present it looks like we'll soon have "Potable" water and they are in the proces of installing sewer lines also (when the sewer will function remains to be seen but water should be established in the next few weeks).
If you like I can give you phone # of rental units and you can call if your interested.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Remax....seems to be the one!

At least they have the most signs up around here. The Santo Domingo # is 809-686-2020. There are several different agents but all list this number.
There are a few Century 21 signs further down both ways on the street but I didn't go that far today to get the number for you, however the nearest Century 21 office to you will have an internationaql listing for the Santo Domingo office (also on their website).
Hope this helps......
I also spoke to two of the owners that have rental units in the complex I am in. One has no vacancy until after June 15th and the other has nothing until sometime in July.
Did you want to contact them???
Let me know on this thread and I'll email you with their names and #'s.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some babbling and a couple of ideas...

I, of course, am a proponent of the North Shore. Better golf being the operative thing here. guavaberry will be magnificent, no doubt, but you will have to pay thru the nose for that Gary Player name plate..

And we have better beaches. Problem is you really have to look for them. they are there.

Have absolutely nothing against the South, especially since my partner and lots of friends are down there. And I don't like hot and muggy. I prefer hot and breezy.

Now all that and RD$2.00 will buy you a good cuppa coffee. Do take MommC's advice, as well as Dolores', and do a rent, visit all over the place and maybe you will find a sport that is perfect for you that none of us has even thought about.

Since you are a golfer, I would be happy to host part of your visit to our half of the island and hand you over to some of the north Shore folks....

And, just for you:

The Golf Widow

Tired of being a golf widow, a woman took up the game and
wound up playing with her husband on a country course one
day. He hit his drive way off
into the rough, behind a barn. She came over to take a look,
surveyed the situation, and suggested that if he opened both barn
doors he could hit his ball straight through the barn to the green.

He saw this as an excellent idea, complimented her for her
suggestion, then opened the doors and stepped up to the ball. He
made a swing and great contact. Unfortunately, the ball was off
line, careened off the door frame, hit the wife in the head and
killed her.

Years went by, the man finally remarried, and this time found himself
a golfer for a wife. Incredibly, the same situation occurs. The man
is in the rough behind the same barn. His new wife took a look at
his ball and suggested that he could make the green if he opened both
barn doors and hit through the barn.

"No way," he says. "I can't do that."

"Why not?" she asks.

"The last time I did that something terrible happened."

"What?" she asked.

"I got a double bogey."

HB, chucklin'.....

Last edited:

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Hillbilly,
I hoped you'd find this thread. Thanks for your .02. I don't know if you remember me but I sent you the pictures of snow from Wisconsin. I know that the North Coast has beautiful beaches, Playa Grande is my favorite, it's just the lack of beach houses and the 5 degrees in winter that sends me south. I also share your opinion on the Playa Grande Golf Course being the best on the Island (if not the Carribean). I have even played your Las Aromas a few times in Santiago, a gem that they're letting go to seed. If I knew how to do pics on this board I'd post one of the course manager at Las Aromas pumping up our cart tire with a hand pump-a true classic. If I find a spot on the South Coast for next winter I will be making many forays to the North Coast for golf and I will be happy to take you up on your invitation.

Mommy C:
Thanks for the SD phone # and yes I would like the names and numbers of the owners of rental units in your resort. You can email them to me at your convience at tommaj@aol.com. Thanks for everything.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sent you an email......

Hope things work out......
Take your time and don't rush into anything........
email me or post any questions you have BEFORE you buy and I'm sure myself, HB or Bushbaby will give you honest answers.
Maybe even Golo and Criss will add their .02
Enjoy!!