Dominican

Karen Milton

Apr 26, 2002
I totally disagree with what I have read about the Dominican Republic. I have been there 4 times, as my boyfriend is Dominican and I love the country - it's great. The people are friendly, happy - even though they have little money. Happiness is everything. I live in England where everybody is stressed out and people take things for greanted. My boyfriend is trying to get a Visa to come over here, but frankly i don't think he would like it , people are miserable and the pace of life is just so fast. No-body appreciates what they have - they always want more, more, more. When the times is right I will be moving to the DR, and not think twice about where I am now.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Karen.....

Run a search through the archives on "visas".....or look through the earlier threads from this year. It will give you an idea of what your boyfriend is up against in regards to visa applications.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For god's Sake, please read "Buscando la chambra"below

this is so typical and I feel sorry for you.

You are one of many, young lady, and while your take on things Dominican is pretty close to the truth, I would feel very sorry for you to get mixed up with this man.

Just to save you some time, since I am sure that someone else will recommend them, here are Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for getting serious with a Resort worker or any other Dominican for that matter:
1) He has a bank account equal to your own-in pesos, not dollars or pounds (You have 100 pounds, he has 100 pesos, that's all.). He has a Credit Card and can write a check (cheque).
2) He has a Visa to travel to the US or Canada
3) He is educated to the equivelent of your own level: High School, Tech School whatever.....

If there is a "no" to any one of these, then essentially you are wasting your time....

I am getting to be known as the curmudgeon of this board, but time and time again I have been proven right...Sorry to have to tell you this, but better now than later..lass..

HB

Karen Milton

Apr 26, 2002
Hillbilly, how have you been proven right? Just because Dominicans don't have much money and are born into countries they can;t get old of, doesn't been they are not worth it.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Not a fight you're going to win

HB trumps everybody with his time and experience in this country.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I've said it before and I'll say it again. " You can tell a child the stove it hot" BUT! Everyone needs to have their own experience and talking till we're blue in the face isn't going to help anyone that doesn't want to listen. Look how badly most will react. Maybe they will be lucky and find a good one maybe not. That's life. That walk in the damn cold weather took all the steam out of me.LOL

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Maybe we should......

give a crash course in Spanish to some of these starry eyed people (girls and guys) and take them to where their "animacion" friends really hang out and let them talk to the people who really know their friend.

But I think Anna's got it........

My hubby works at a dive shop in a resort when we're there and I hang around the office a lot. Have gotten to know much of the staff quite well (especially the ever changing line-up in animacion-soon as someone finds a girl or guy to take them away, they;re gone!) Much of the talk during the "quiet" time of the day centers around who picked up who last night, who's got which tourist on a string, who's "friend" from US/Can/Germany/Italy etc sent them a gift or money. Also "do you remember that (insert a country) girl/guy that was here three months ago who fell for (insert a name).....well she/he is coming back (to much laughter!).
Wonder how many other "girlfriends" this guy has......'course he'll only have one soon as he gets a visa....that is until he gets his "residence" papers for whatever country he makes it too!
Sheesh.......

Karen Milton

Apr 26, 2002
ACTUALLY, my boyfriend does not work in the Animation department. I know what guys like that are like,.
LOCA

Karen Milton

Apr 26, 2002
In every country there are guys not worth a second thought, not just in Dominica. Some people need to get it into their heads that not EVERYONE is perfect and not EVERYONE can help being born into a country that they can't get out of. My boyfriend doesn't really want to get a Visa, he is happy where he is - he just wants me with him.

Mar 21, 2002
Karen Milton

I am Dominican. Don't get defensive. Everything Hillbilly is telling you is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Please don't fight him. He is trying to get into your 20" thick skull that the majority 99.9% of poor men in my country when confronted with someone like yourself are seeing a ticket to freedom.

Get yourself a guy in the DR who is equal to you economically or else your facing a disaster.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DR1 vrs. KM

director.gif
cheering.gif

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Karen, I don't blame you for longing to live in the D.R. I am Dominican. Dominicans,especially those that live on the island, are generally happy people. They are also poor people,and as poor people do, they gravitate to what they don't have: money.
Keep that in mind as you pursue your relationships with islander men.

if your daughter asked you a naive question, would you mock,ridicule and debase her?
edited to add: question not directed at you, Karen

D

Dubld

Karen-please take heed in what people say here. Yes-perhaps your boyfriend is an exception, however-does he pay the tab when he calls you? Have you met his family? Have you seen where he works? I speak from experience-being lucky and always on the defensive when it comes to this type of thing-I have met 2 decent guys from the DR-one made it to Canada by himself through hard work and connections, works in the DR for tourist season only. Met and stayed with his family and still keep in touch when I visit. The other has no intention of leaving-just wants to find ways to make his family's lot in life better (they run a beach restaurant in POP). He and his family were very good to me, made a special celebration (none of which I paid for)when I completed my diving certification, and invited my father to dinner as well. He calls on his coin, and I do what I can to steer people to their restaurant through this board and word of mouth. Yes, I will return and visit (for the 10th time now). In summary-be very careful-there are silver tongued devils everywhere male and female!

Karen Milton

Apr 26, 2002
Dubld.

Yes, he calls me every Sunday, I've met his family 4 times and seen where he works on numberous occassions. Believe me I know what some Dominican's are like, he warns me about them himself - he tells me a lot just want money, a good time until more tourists come etc etc. And I admit sometimes at home I do get skeptical about our relationship, but i'll just c how it goes

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Ask yourself why he likes you. If you really believe the answer and not just want to believe it, and you like the answer, then steady as she goes. Be careful and don't jump ship just because it is unlikely to float. You can always jump ship later if it does start to sink. Just don't get too far from shore right away.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Karen, those are the nicest words you have written. That is all I would ever ask for.

Take it easy. Be very skeptical....

I never demean, mock or debase any poster. I might do that to their long lost lovers but never the poster...

Oh yes. In the DR "marriage" means one thing..and in Canada or the US or the UK something else.

Here a man and woman can live together forever without any papers.. and say that they are married....

HB