Dominican History in Written works......

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thought some might be interested in the following:
Howard Wiarda's The Dominican Republic: Nation in Transition provides a good general introduction to the country.
The Dominican Republic: A Caribbean Crucible and The Politics of External Influence in the Dominican Republic, by Howard Wiarda and Michael Kryzanek, chart the republic's further political and economic progress.
Bruce J. Calder's The Impact of Intervention is an excellent study of the United States occupation and its effects. Trujillo: The Life and Times of a Caribbean Dictator, by Robert D. Crassweller, provides a vivid portrait of the dominant figure in the nation's twentiethcentury history. A broader perspective can be obtained from G. Pope Atkins and Larman C. Wilson's The United States and the Trujillo Regime.
The Dominican Republic: Politics and Development in an Unsovereign State, by Jan Knippers Black, deals effectively with the 1978 transition to democracy and subsequent developments.

I'm going to check my local library to see if any of these are available throught intra-library loan. If any of you come across them in a library perhaps you could post where here so the rest of us could order them throught library loan so we wouldn't have to purchase all just to read them.

Maybe we could set up an informal library of sorts for those of us who visit the DR regularly where we could "borrow" any books re: DR History to read while there????

N

Not registered

Try Frank Moya Pons "History of the Dominican Republic, " considered by most to be the "Bible" of Dominican History

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Not registered said:
Try Frank Moya Pons "History of the Dominican Republic, " considered by most to be the "Bible" of Dominican History
I recently read "The Dominican Republic...a National History" by Frank Moya Pons.I am not sure if this is the same book you are referring to Janice because I believe he has written several books ok DR history.I do recommend it.It is VERY dry but also very informative.It was recommended to me by Keith R.
ILoveDR

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
MommC,
The ISBN for Frank Moya Pons' book, 2nd edition, is 1-55876-191-8 for the hardcover version, 1-55876-192-6 for the paperback.
Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
The books

MommC,
The Wiarda book is ancient (1969), quite out-of-date, obsessed with Trujillo, and, if I recall correctly (it's been 25 yrs since I read it), too much in the vein of the time (i.e., trying to explain away why the US got into the 1965 conflict). I didn't like the book when I was a Latin American Studies student, and wouldn't recommend it now.

The Wiarda/Kryzanek book I've never read but I've heard some good things about it in terms of being a good intro to Dominican history. I assume you mean the 2nd edition, since the first was written in 1983 and is nigh impossible to find. The 2nd edition is 10 yrs old and out-of-print. But if you can find it, the ISBN is 0813382351

The Crassweller book is considered by many to be the "definitive" bio on Trujillo written in English, despite its age (written in 1966, I believe).

I would never bother to read a book by Dr. Jan Knippers Black after having plowed through one before. The one you cite is quite old (1986) and out-of-print. The ISBN is 0-8133-8331-5.

Meanwhile, I'm curious, has anyone read the following and can vouch that it's worth checking out:
G. Pope Atkins and Larman C. Wilson. "The Dominican Republic
and the United States: From Imperialism to Transnationalism" (The University of Georgia Press, 1998) hardcover ISBN 0-8203-1930-9; paperback ISBN 0-8203-1931-7.
I once took a course on Latin American Foreign Policy under Prof. Wilson at American Univ. and liked it, and have read some of his essays. Haven't had a chance to read this one.

Best Regards,
Keith

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Keith......I'll take your recommendations.
Now hopefully mu local library can find some of them for me and I don't have to wait two years to get them (genealogical records can take even longer but most books come in 6-12 months!). It can be tough when one spends so much time out of the country........anything I've ordered usually manages to arrive the day after I leave for 4-5 months and the library can only hold it for ten days. Then you only have it for two weeks after you've picked it up.....gotta be a better way!!