And I know better

Called home 2 weeks ago from PC, dialed 0 asked for Canada Direct, got an operator who was indicated she was the CD International operator, 9 minutes collect $58.90.
Funnelled through Codetel in Santo Domingo, another damn tourist scam, better learn to dial direct.
Or use some kind of code when you call collect and have them refuse to accept.<br>
Example:
"Collect call from PC Albright, do you accept the charges."<br> "No I do not know anyone by that name", and hang up, if everything is fine at home.<br> If your party has information to get to you, have them ask who is calling again please. Then say sorry you must have the incorrect number.

The key is that these companies are going to screw you so start screwing them with pre determined codes.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Or, a collect call from Mr. PickMeUpAtTheAirport@7pm
you think it would work?

Well I left the "warden" at home and she wanted to know how things were in PC. <br>
So PC Albright is a good code.<br>
And if anything was wrong at the home castle. She from now on will say "What is the name of the person calling again, please......No I am sorry I know no one by that name.
<br>
That will be my key to call back again.<br>I wud not be pissed if they had given me the connection I asked for Canada Direct, but to put my to Codetel and alude to the fact they were the CD International operator.<br>
On another board is the complaint of an Ohio man who called home collect using the *20 as indicated on a plastic card(the cheapest to USA) next to the phone in his room. His bill was $767 so I guess I was lucky.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
My son gave us his global cell phone number so we could contact him before we met up with him in Paris. I used it several times from relatives houses and it was fine...no problem. Called one from a public pay phone and used my credit card because we didn't have "change" in the local currency. Big mistake!! what should have been a $2.50 Euro call cost us $58.74! Next time I'll make sure I buy a "calling card" in the local currency for use with pay phones.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
hehe! First time for everything Wud! I figured it would cost a bit but sure got a shock when I got the credit card bill! Like I said....shoulda bought a $5 Euro phone card and used it. The call was only about 4 minutes in length!! I've a good mind to "protest" the charge and get it charged back but I'd need a receipt to do it! Have you ever seen a payphone that gives receipts????

S

SDecatur

MommC said:
hehe! First time for everything Wud! I figured it would cost a bit but sure got a shock when I got the credit card bill! Like I said....shoulda bought a $5 Euro phone card and used it. The call was only about 4 minutes in length!! I've a good mind to "protest" the charge and get it charged back but I'd need a receipt to do it! Have you ever seen a payphone that gives receipts????

No, but the telephone company that charged your credit card must provide a record of what they charged for

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
By gosh you're right SDecatur!! This old brain should have thought of that but probably never would have......hmmmmm.
Now all I gotta decide is if it's worth the hassle (last time I took on a "unfair" or "unknown" charge it took ten months, eight letters, fifteen pages copied in triplicate about $10. worth of postage and ten month interest on the $75.00 overcharge to get it "refunded/cancelled" (yeah....I made them charge back the interest too!).
Do I really want to go through all that again for the $55. or less????
Probably not but I probably will so hopefully if enough people do it the company that is overcharging (or at least over-billing) won't anymore!! ;)