Solido, Como Sammy Sosa

Apr 26, 2002
Danny Almonte, Pepe Goico, Ramon Baez Figueroa and now slammin' Sammy Sosa. My impression with the Danny Almonte incident was that most Dominicans thought that the JCE should have gone along with the lying about his age. Over 40% of Dominicans will vote for Hipolito Mejia again. What next: We find out that the new Dominicana Ms. Universe has implants and bribed the judges?

I'd ask if there is a crisis in Dominican ethics, but that would be like asking if the Pope is Catholic.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Until Major League Baseball doues "Steroid" and other "Performance Enhancing Drug&quo

we can NEVER believe in the "Sport"!People want to see "Homeruns",and MLB is going to be sure they see them! When Macguier and "Sammy" were in a "Homerun Derby" a few years ago,attendance was up all over the league! Pitchers can "doctor" the ball,batters "Cork" their bats,anything is "acceptable" if it puts more fans in the seats! Cris colon

Apr 26, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Danny Almonte, Pepe Goico, Ramon Baez Figueroa and now slammin' Sammy Sosa.

CHICAGO (AP) -- Sammy Sosa's 76 bats confiscated by baseball officials showed no signs of cork in X-rays taken the day after he was ejected for using a corked bat in a game..."The bats were clean and had no foriegn substances in them," said Sandy Alderson, executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office. "That is consistent with Sammy's explanation of the incident last night."

Uh .. never mind. Sorry Sammy for prejudging. I'll be sure to tip real big on my next shoeshine in San Pedro to make up for it.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Porfio: We all know that the root of dominicans and for that matter the whole latin american culture's lack of ethics comes from the fact that we were all colonized by the spaniards. Columbus and his bunch...real stand up guys they were...

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Typically you need to blame somebody else for Dominican,s shortcomming. That in itself is a lack of ethics.

What ethical problems did Columbus have in his actions?

Apr 26, 2002
Tony C said:
What ethical problems did Columbus have in his actions?

Where do we begin to answer that question?!?! Perhaps you should read "The Early Spanish Main" by Carl Sauer. Columbus was a total huckster in his business dealings and communications with the Spanish monarchs - and brutal to the natives.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Coming up next: in defence of the Spanish Inquisition, by Tony C

Shurely shome mishtake!

Chiri

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Where do we begin to answer that question?!?! Perhaps you should read "The Early Spanish Main" by Carl Sauer. Columbus was a total huckster in his business dealings and communications with the Spanish monarchs - and brutal to the natives.

Brutal to the Natives? Perhaps in today's moral climate but we are talking the 15th century here. But lets not forget that the Indians in the New world at that time praticed, Canibalism, Ritual human sacrifice and slavery even beyond what the europeans ever imagined at the time. So spare me the whinny Brutality excuse!

A huckster? Pure conjecture. Sauer's book has been discredited by many historians!

Apr 26, 2002
Tony C said:
Brutal to the Natives? Perhaps in today's moral climate but we are talking the 15th century here. But lets not forget that the Indians in the New world at that time praticed, Canibalism, Ritual human sacrifice and slavery even beyond what the europeans ever imagined at the time. So spare me the whinny Brutality excuse!

A huckster? Pure conjecture. Sauer's book has been discredited by many historians!

I honestly don't know if you believe the stuff you write or if you just like being contrarian, but you've crossed the line into the absurd.

As confirmed by Las Casas, the Tainos never practiced canibalism, ritual human sacrifice or slavery. Las Casas also confirmed the brutality, even by contemporary Spanish standards, of Columbus and his brother, Diego.

As for Sauer's book, could you please site one historian who has discredited his book, or any evidence that you have read it or have any clue of the details in it. (If you had read it, you'd know that the book focuses on Columbus' own letters to Madrid and Seville.)

Lines like "pure conjecture" and "discredited by many historians" indicate that you're out of ammunition on this topic.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
The Russians' Cut!

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Lines like "pure conjecture" and "discredited by many historians" indicate that you're out of ammunition on this topic.

Sammy Sosa to Columbus.

This board is going down like the Zeppelin.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Interesting article even though some of the facts I wouldn't exactly call cheating.
Pam or Silicone were legal at the time. I have no problem with somebody thinking of ways to get an advantage over his opponents as long as they don't break the rules.

A great book to read, if you are a racing fan, is "The Unfair Advantage" by the late Mark Donahue.

What Sosa did is expressly against the rules of MLB. there is no grey area there!

BTW The Caribe Indians, who were Caninbals, had a prescence on the Island of Hispaniola! Las Casas was openly envious of Columbus so anything written by him cannot be considered unbiased.

Apr 26, 2002
I presume that sports are like any other business: Those who (1) have skill, and (2) excel in the gray area, do best. It's all about being able to do a good risk/benefit analysis on what you're doing.

Tony, as you are aware, Columbus did not limit his brutality to the Caribs. According to Sauer, when the Pope ordained that the Arawaks must be treated like human beings (but was ambivalent about the Caribs), Columbus simply decided that Arawak tribes that were not compliant were really Carib.

I hadn't heard that Las Casas was "openly envious" of Columbus. Wouldn't seem to be in character for a friar concentrated on the well being of the native population. Maybe you meant to say "revolted by" Columbus, in which case nobody could disagree with you. In any case, if you have a source for "openly envious", let me know. (And I'm still waiting for that long list of historians who have discredited Sauer.)

As I'm sure you know, Cristobal and Diego were both removed from governing positions in Hispanola to face charges in Spain of brutalizing the native population. And, of course, the genocide speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I agree with Tony C. He didn't bend the rules, he broke them.
It's no different to an athlete taking drugs, it's against the rules
of the sport and offenders need to be made an example of.

I wonder how many other times he has hit home runs with illegal bats?

I'm sure his PR team are earning their money right now :)