Car and Driver Boca Chica to SD $$$$ ?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
My friend and I are looking for a taxi for a flat rate for the day from Boca Chica to several spots in the capital , preferably a taxi van owned by the driver and for much less than the pirate-like rate of $50 US round trip incl. 3 hours waiting then $10 US an hour after that since there won't be a hell of a lot of driving and will be a lot of sitting around.

We figure from 10 a.m. to about 8 or 9 p.m. Which at the Boca Chica tariff is $120 US for 10 hours. AKA RD$4200 which is more than a months pay at the required minimum wage.

Stops in the colonial zone / malecon area, maybe el conde, maybe near the games if there is something with tickets (and it appears there are lots of tickets since they have yet to sell them).

Anyone who has the e-mail or # of a good reliable (e.g. not drinking while driving) taxi , preferably with a taxi van and not a beater of a 10 year old car who wants some $$$ ( and not $120 - $130 - $140 US for a days work) let me know here and I will call on arrival.

For $120-$140 US we could rent a car and have a lot of change left over, so we are not being cheap but practical.

Needed Saturday August 2 all day.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Ricktoronto

Ask Aguilles at the hotel, he has a friend who has a newer full-sized sedan, Honda/or Toyota. Tell him it is the driver Yesenia and I used. Yesenia and I spent a few hours from BC to Santo Domingo, went to a few areas in Santo Domingo with an older Dominican man, sorry I can't think of his name but he only charged 800RD. That was for a round trip from BC to Santo Domingo, and he waited a few hours(approx 4 hours in the capital for us). I was flabbergasted and he was such a nice man that I gave him an extra 200RD. By the way, I sent the email to the place and when I have response will send it to you.
dale7(Howard) ok, Howie to you, lol

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Thanks for the tip, Howie

I will ask him. I can pay more than RD$1000 but we'll see if he is reasonable. He has to know SD inside out though.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
He knew Santo Domingo fairly well, went to the consulate, shopping at the acropolis, etc. If not available, Aguilles has a couple of friends who are trustworthy and aren't out to gouge you. He doesn't get a share of anything, they are just friends of his, he tries to help out. I wager any of his friends wouldn't charge you more than 3000RD with that long of a day, 5US when I see you if I am wrong, I take you at your word, lol.
dale7(Howito)lol

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Rick you might do what we used to before we bought a car.

Take the bus into Santo Domingo then hire a taxi in the city. Ask to driver what he will charge you for the day (you can usually find someone after asking only one or two) and they'll give you a flat rate which is always very reasonable. The drivers in Santo Domingo are much more accomodating than the taxista's in either Juan Dolio or Boca Chica who all seem to be highway robbers!!:)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: Rick you might do what we used to before we bought a car.

MommC said:
Take the bus into Santo Domingo then hire a taxi in the city. Ask to driver what he will charge you for the day (you can usually find someone after asking only one or two) and they'll give you a flat rate which is always very reasonable. The drivers in Santo Domingo are much more accomodating than the taxista's in either Juan Dolio or Boca Chica who all seem to be highway robbers!!:)

What a good idea! Or we could do one way in a taxi which is no $50 ( I am not sure I want to learn to travel in gua-guas but it might be fun) and then use SD drivers for the day. What about heading home? Would a SD driver be interested in a non-pirate rate to Boca Chica?

I presume these SD taxis look like taxis and are not beater cars with drivers who are just anybody.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Take the gua gua's, they are much cheaper and a fun experience. Around 1US to go from BC to Santo Domingo. Even if you and your friend have to pay a taxi a dollar or two each to go here and there, you will be all right. Then a taxi from SD to BC should be about 600RD. There are beater taxis and nicer ones. No matter what, between both of you, this way you would spend around 15US each. Taxis are all over in Santo Domingo.
dale7(Howard)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Update

We hired a proper camioneta (taxi van) for 12 hours for US$ 85 (vs. $140 US) and the driver pretty much looked after himself, usually waiting in taxi stands near the colonial zone, Jaragua etc., which is pretty handy vs. parking a car since taxis are taxis everywhere and they can fit in nicely.

We did not drive a whole lot so he didn't lose a bunch on gas and this guy had to be the most even tempered and cautious yet not intimidated driver I have ever seen in La Republica. And he knew how to get from every point A to every point B in SD.

The trick was to start with the dispatcher to arrange a one way trip from BC to SD for RD$500 (they regretted quoting that on the phone) then talking to the driver out of earshot.