AIDS in the Dominican Republic

naskapi

Sep 23, 2003
AIDS in the Dominican

A friend just heard on the news that the Dominican has the second highest prevalence of AIDS in the world. I know that Haiti has a high prevalence, and no doubt, they are carrying it over to the Dominican. But, I never thought that the prevalence was that high. Does anyone have any input on this topic for me?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Purposefully overblown numbers. Anyone dying of anything in which their immune system eventually breaks down from the infection or whatever the cause is listed as an "AIDS" death because they technically died because their immune system failed. The country recieves more medical remittances as a result.

For example, you contract TB. You go untreated. You eventually die. Why did you die? Because your immune system eventually broke down because it directed all its energy toward fighting the TB. You are listed as an AIDS death for statistical purposes.
Larry

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: AIDS in the Dominican

naskapi said:
A friend just heard on the news that the Dominican has the second highest prevalence of AIDS in the world. I know that Haiti has a high prevalence, and no doubt, they are carrying it over to the Dominican.

I would help but who are you talking about?
The Dominican what? Is there a high incidence of AIDS among Dominican Friars? I know that many Catholic Priests are closet homosexuals but you would think they would be smart enough to practice safe sex.

You don't know how much I hate it when ignorant people call the Dominican Republic "the Dominican"!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Which Dominican?

naskapi said:
A friend just heard on the news that the Dominican has the second highest prevalence of AIDS in the world. I know that Haiti has a high prevalence, and no doubt, they are carrying it over to the Dominican. But, I never thought that the prevalence was that high. Does anyone have any input on this topic for me?

Jose? Pedro? Jahira? Tell us please.

Learn the name of the country first then check sub-Saharan Africa figures, e.g. Mozambique (14% of adults) Botswana, even South Africa. You're off base.

And the Haiti as the source of it all and the highest infection rate etc., is I think more myth than fact. Also it appears the Bahamas, Barbados and Belize outrank the DR.

I'd think people in Haiti seriously ill with AIDS are not commuting to the DR to spread it since many migrants are agricultural workders and it would be doubtful they could manage the effort.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Naskapi:

Although others have rightfully had a field day with you post, if true and accurate this information interests me, from a personal point of view so to say :classic:. Therefore I have a few questions for you:

1) Are we really talking about the Domenican Republic?

2) What rate are we talking about? HIV-infections per capita, new HIV-infections per annum per capita, AIDS-cases per capita, new AIDS-cases per annum, per capita? People dying from AIDS relative to the population?

3) What part of the population are we talking about? General populace, college-girls, sex-industry workers, Santo Domingo area, Ha?tians?

4) How high is the actual rate?

5) How recent are the numbers? I know of a report that has just been published (I think two days ago) that mentioned 3 Mio dead of AIDS last year and it being the first cause of death in sub-Saharan Africa and the fourth world-wide.

I have attached a link for everybodies convenience to the BBC-website that discusses the report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/health/3236200.stm

Last edited:

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
No where in this report talks about the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC stop creating rummors and write THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC and read below. (PATAN) lol!

Global HIV rates at record high
A record number of people were infected with HIV around the world this year, a report says.
Figures from UNAids and the World Health Organization put the number of new infections at five million.

The report also estimates that three million people died from the disease this year.

But it warns that the figures could rise sharply in the years ahead, with Eastern Europe and Central Asia on the verge of epidemics.

Africa hit hardest

The report, which is published ahead of World Aids Day on 1 December, estimates 40 million people around the world are infected with HIV/Aids. Of these, 2.5 million are children.

Around 14,000 people are infected with the disease every day.

Officials say the figures are more reliable than previous year's estimates, following improvements in the way the data is collected.

People living in sub-Saharan Africa continue to be most at risk. About 30% of people living with HIV/Aids are in this part of the world.

South Africa, alone, is home to 5.3 million people with HIV - more than any other country in the world. In Botswana, 39% of the population is HIV positive, the report says.

Two out of three new HIV infections occur in sub-Saharan Africa. Three out four deaths from the disease occur in this part of the world.

Emerging epidemics

However, the report also shows that other countries are standing on the verge of major epidemics.

The number of reported infections is rising sharply in China, India, Indonesia and Russia, mostly due to HIV transmission through injecting drug use and unsafe sex.

The report says better prevention programmes are needed to stop the spread.

It says countries around the world must introduce better treatment programmes if millions of deaths are to be avoided.

Dr Peter Piot, executive director of UNAids, praised recent efforts to step up the fight against the disease. However, he said much more needs to be done.

"It is quite clear that our current global efforts remain entirely inadequate for an epidemic that is continuing to spiral out of control.

"Aids is tightening its grip on southern Africa and threatening other regions of the world.

"Today's report warns regions experiencing newer HIV epidemics that they can either act now or pay later - as Africa is now having to pay."

UNAids and the WHO have drawn up a strategy to bring antiretroviral treatment to three million people by 2005 - the so-called "3 by 5" initiative.

Drugs strategy

Dr Lee Jong-Wook, director general of the WHO, said details of the strategy will be released on World Aids Day next week.

HIV PREVALENCE WORLDWIDE

However, he said more money is needed if the strategy is to work.

"This represents an unprecedented drive to increase the number of people receiving treatment," he said.

"For '3 by 5' to succeed, however, and for treatment access to increase further in the future the international community must continue to increase its financial and logistical support."

Nick Partridge, chief executive of the UK charity Terrence Higgins Trust, welcomed the report.

"The HIV epidemic continues to devastate communities across the world and we're increasingly feeling its impact here in the UK.

"Now more than ever, we must step up our efforts to tackle the epidemic in this country, as well as fulfil our responsibilities in the international fight against HIV.

"We will fail if we don't understand that we are all part of a global epidemic," he said.

"Strong political leadership is vital to promote education, access to treatment for all and renewed vigour in the quest for vaccines and a cure."

Derek Bodell, chief executive of the UK's National Aids Trust, said: "Today's statistics continue to cause us concern.

"By now it should be evident to all that HIV does not respect borders." <-----ARE THESE PEOPLE STUPID> by now? oh lord!

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Thank you, Tony C

"You don't know how much I hate it when ignorant people call the Dominican Republic 'the Dominican'!" - Tony C

See, people! I'm not the only one.

naskapi

Sep 23, 2003
I appologize for calling the Dominican Republic, the "Dominican". I didn't think it bothered anyone, since there are other posts on here where people call it Dominica, which is a different island altogether.

For answers to MerengueDutchie, what I was asking about was the AIDS cases per capita among the general population. Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. New to this, so I guess I wrote to general of a question.

Unfortunately, I don't know where my friend heard this information about the Dominican Republic being the second highest country with AIDS (no idea what the news article was even about). My friend and I have been to the D.R. (is this alright?) a couple of times in the last year, and we were planning a trip for January. But, now she is saying that she might not go because of the AIDS rates that she had heard of. I thought getting some feedback about the topic on here might ease her mind a little bit. Thanks for everyone who answered.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
naskapi said:
My friend and I have been to the D.R. (is this alright?) a couple of times in the last year, and we were planning a trip for January. But, now she is saying that she might not go because of the AIDS rates that she had heard of. I thought getting some feedback about the topic on here might ease her mind a little bit. Thanks for everyone who answered.

From that statement, I can only assume your friend sleeps around and is into unprotected sex. Is that the case?

The catching it off of a toilet seat myth was dispelled years ago.

It must be a real pain lugging all that "clean" ice here...

naskapi

Sep 23, 2003
The sad thing is she is not involved with any men when we go to the Dominican Republic. I don't know what her reasoning is for not wanting to go.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
naskapi said:
The sad thing is she is not involved with any men when we go to the Dominican Republic. I don't know what her reasoning is for not wanting to go.

Maybe we can hook her up?

Living Deaths Orphan
Bahamas 6200 610 2900
Barbados 2000 * *
Cuba 3200 120 1000
Dominican Republic 130000 7800 33000
Haiti 250000 30000 200000
Jamaica 20000 980 5100
Trinidad and Tobago 17000 1200 3600

US
Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported approximately 362,827 persons in the United States living with AIDS.
of those who have it
42% were in whites,
37% in blacks,
20% in Hispanics,
<1% in Asians and Pacific Islanders,
and <1% in American Indians and Alaska Natives;

UK
At the moment in the UK approximately 41,200 people are living with HIV/AIDS, about 30% of whom are undiagnosed.

Canada
People Living with HIV
It has been estimated that at the end of 1999 there were approximately 49,800 people in Canada living with HIV (including those living with AIDS). Furthermore, of the 49,800, an estimated 15,000 were living with HIV but were unaware that they were infected

Total in Africa - 28 Million
Top 3 Countries in Africa

% of Country who have AIDS Total with AIDS
South Africa 20% 4.7 Million
Kenya 15% 2.3 Million
Zimbabwe 33% 2 Million

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican Republic is the 4th larges exporter of:

Prostitutes in the World! Ranking just behind Brasil,Thailand,and the Philipines.That is one reason for the high rate of HIV/Aids here!Not bad since those other countries have huge populations when compared to the DR.

Who needs coffee,cigars,or sugar?

The DR,"Pussy" is our most important export!!!

Cris Colon

Why doesn't "Hipolito" slap a 10% export fee on Dominican "Snatch"? That would solve the Country's economic problems overnight!!!Or at least lower the "SIDA" rate!

Last edited:

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Re: The Dominican Republic is the 4th larges exporter of:

Criss Colon said:
"Prostitutes in the World! Ranking just behind Brasil,Thailand,and the Philipines.That is one reason for the high rate of HIV/Aids here!Not bad since those other countries have huge populations when compared to the DR."

Amen!That right there is the primary source of the DR's soaring aids/hiv rates.Not haitians!The DR has the highest percentage of sex workers(per pop) in the western hemisphere and has the 4th largest in the world.So,it's inevitable that aids with continue to flousrish there.I even have a hunch that the actual hiv/aids rate in the DR is much larger than the government claims.

"Who needs coffee,cigars,or sugar?

The DR,"Pussy" is our most important export!!!

Cris Colon"

Sad,but true! what else is the DR know other than baseball?In a way I think that the abundance of impoverished,yet beautifull & fit black & brown women in the DR,is a curse in disguise.As it makes dominican women especially sought after for prostitution around the globe.Some would say a target!

Carl E.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
The reason why the "AISD" rate is so high is some African countries is because the people are STARVING. Their immune systems are extremely weak to begin with so they contract all kinds of diseases through everyday life (malaria,TB,etc). Then they eventually die due to malnutrition and a lack of medical care and they are listed as "AIDS" deaths (because their immune systems failed) for remittance purposes. Other countries are pumping $$$ into these countries in an effort to help. If the "AIDS" numbers were lower, they wouldnt be recieving as much attention. Did you think that in some of these African villages where the "AIDS" rate is through the roof that it was due to unprotected sex? Stop equating these "AIDS" numbers you keep reading about with unprotected sex.

Larry

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
naskapi said:
My friend and I have been to the D.R. (is this alright?) a couple of times in the last year, and we were planning a trip for January. But, now she is saying that she might not go because of the AIDS rates that she had heard of. I thought getting some feedback about the topic on here might ease her mind a little bit. Thanks for everyone who answered.

If your friend likes to sleep around and have unprotected sex with strangers but wants the smallest odds of getting HIV then I would say DR is not the place to go. They have the 2nd highest AIDS rate in the Carribean. Haiti the highest and I believe Cuba has the lowest even though they're the largest carribean country but they identify and quarentine people who have the virus and it's just not an epidemic there. So if she wants to play Russian Roulette with her life... DR- No Cuba-Yes.

You can check this link for AIDS statistics worldwide. Africa by far has the most cases of AIDS. But the rate in which people are becoming infected, the Carribean and Latin America is 2nd in the world.
http://www.avert.org/caribbean.htm

But your friend should be practicing safe sex anyway to reduce her chances of a possible transmission. I would try to encourage that more than anything else.

Smooches..Clip.

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
The reason why the "AISD" rate is so high is some African countries is because the people are STARVING. Their immune systems are extremely weak to begin with so they contract all kinds of diseases through everyday life (malaria,TB,etc). Then they eventually die due to malnutrition and a lack of medical care and they are listed as "AIDS" deaths (because their immune systems failed) for remittance purposes. Other countries are pumping $$$ into these countries in an effort to help. If the "AIDS" numbers were lower, they wouldnt be recieving as much attention. Did you think that in some of these African villages where the "AIDS" rate is through the roof that it was due to unprotected sex? Stop equating these "AIDS" numbers you keep reading about with unprotected sex.

Larry

Larry, Do you mind citing your sources on this theory? I'm not saying it's not true but this is the first time I'm hearing this theory and I'd like to reasearch this further.

So you're saying if a person dies in Africa due to malnutrion, there death is listed as AIDS but there's a chance they did not necessarily have the HIV virus?

Could you supply a few links? Thanks. I"m interested in reading more about this.

Smooches...Clip.