AIDS in the Dominican Republic

naskapi

Sep 23, 2003
I guess the question I posted in this thread should have been posted in the Debates thread. I didn't mean to cause any distress between people on DR1. I was just asking a question, based on what was supposedly heard on a US news station. Thank you for so many people answering my questions. Personally, I don't see the Dominican Republic as being any more "AIDS" populated than any other Caribbean island that I have visited. It is still my favorite, and that will never change.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chirimoya said:
Robert, the question I asked was "WHOSE agenda does it suit to say that unprotected sex leads to HIV/AIDS?" So - who are the individuals and institutions you mention, and why would it make any difference what the cause was?

What is so contradictory and confusing about the options you mention? It is pretty clear that option 4 is the most practical and sensible choice for most people.

Condoms are not such a luxury. In any case they are available at no cost from various institutions active in the DR: if people are convinced about the need for them they will seek them out. Even if you have to pay for condoms, why should that be any different from paying for food, medicines or whatever if you have your health and survival anywhere up on your list of priorities.

If anyone's interests are being served by all this it would be the condom manufacturers... ;)

Chiri

Whose agenda? In my particular case, a university in order to get funding for equipment to keep them ahead of their rivals.

This is a very simplistic overview of my real life experience.

Prof: We really need one of those fancy new lasers just like X university has. Actually if we got the new model, that would really aggravate them etc.
Bean counter: We do not have X funding available, maybe next year.
Prof: No problem. Isn't X group giving out funding for AIDS/HIV research?
Bean counter: Yeah, I think so.
Prof: No problem, I'll just write up a grant proposal and link it to AIDS/HIV in some way. How about. Is macular degeneration more prevalent in patients that contracted the virus via unprotected sex or intravenous blood transfusions?
Bean counter: That might work, we have been doing really well of late getting money that way.

The end result. A legitimate well meaning uneducated group pays out funds thinking it will help in the fight against AIDS/HIV, but in reality, it just helps boost the ego of a small group of individuals. Plus the sales figures of the laser manufacturer.
Does he care that funds could be better used in other areas, of course not.
His agenda is to lift his status and if it takes a little more misinformation, so be it.

Two years on, the Prof wants a new laser, the cycle continues...

Condoms: Whether the issue is about availability or education. As I see it, the outcome is the same right now. Neither are readily available or should I say, have penetrated that particular sector of the community.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Quote:
and maybe comments about Larry were p[artial speculation, but even he has made comments about women wanting to scare stright men from fun sex.---ItsSnyder

I have no idea what you are talking about. What?? Please explain.

And I think Roberts last post adds some validity to my theory that people are manipulating AIDS and subsequently we have been showered with false statistics and misinformation in general.

Larry

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
No larry. . . .

Actually Roberts post does the exact opposite, it says that people looking for reseach grants try to tir reseach into a subject that has funding.

-Lee

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: No larry. . . .

ltsnyder said:
Actually Roberts post does the exact opposite, it says that people looking for reseach grants try to tir reseach into a subject that has funding.
-Lee

What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Re: Re: A refresher course for the uninitiated to DR1

Robert said:
Your right, I surface rarely. I inflate my post count numbers as well. Must have learnt that trick from my years in medical research. Hahaha, your have to do better than that ;)

Off topic, but actually you can inflate your post on this program, because I have a similar program unless you got this program watered down. But even then since you must have the source code, you can.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Re: Re: No larry. . . .

Robert said:
What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Geeze, I guess the Flat Earth society really does have a point.
Actually neither the Chiken or the egg come first, first, is the scientific method.

-Lee

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Robert said:
Whose agenda? In my particular case, a university in order to get funding for equipment to keep them ahead of their rivals.

Condoms: Whether the issue is about availability or education. As I see it, the outcome is the same right now. Neither are readily available or should I say, have penetrated that particular sector of the community.

Research - I accept that AIDS is the buzz of the moment as far as research funding is concerned. But again, wouldn't it get it anyway, no matter what the cause was? Whose agenda is it to say that unprotected sex with multiple partners is the cause?

If anything, wouldn't it be an absolute SENSATION in the scientific world if someone was to show conclusively that this was not the case? Resulting in more kudos and money than all the others put together?

condoms - the reasons they have not - ahem - penetrated the local culture is not their cost, it is the other reasons I mentioned earlier: aversion to using condoms, denial, ignorance, misinformation etc.

This thread has been thought-provoking for me - and mercifully low in the usual personal attacks that characterise these debates - and my conclusion is that one of the best ways to fight AIDS in countries like the DR would be to FIGHT POVERTY.

Chiri

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
Re: AIDS in the Dominican

naskapi said:
A friend just heard on the news that the Dominican has the second highest prevalence of AIDS in the world. I know that Haiti has a high prevalence, and no doubt, they are carrying it over to the Dominican. But, I never thought that the prevalence was that high. Does anyone have any input on this topic for me?

There is alot of information in the link below regarding AIDs in the RD.

http://www.usaid.gov/dr/

As far as why Sub-Sahara Africa has such a high AID's rate- I read the strain of the Virus there is much stronger and lives much longer outside of a host.

I just read most of this thread and again any discussion of AIDs' in this forum morphs into how AIDs is spread and who is at greater risk of getting aids.

Basically I agree with the Posters that if you are on the receiving end your changes of getting AID's are far greater than if you are giving the Injection. But, I still think you can contract AID's thru
heterosexual sex.

Bottom line - Syphillis use to kill before priot to WWII and Penicillin. This disease has been around for thousands of years and still exists today.

I hope a cure if found for AID's but, ain't no way people are going to stop having sex.

To all the Abstinence

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Chirimoya said:

This thread has been thought-provoking for me - and mercifully low in the usual personal attacks that characterise these debates - and my conclusion is that one of the best ways to fight AIDS in countries like the DR would be to FIGHT POVERTY.

Chiri

That may be the biggest hurdle to the disease..poverty and ignorance..:) Pam

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
World Health organization has a report on the subjet of AIDS 2003

Seems to indicate the the DR has a 2.5 % rate among pregnent women. no indications the level is going down beyond it's drop drom early 1990 levels of 5% at a peak. Prosttiution is the major factor in the spread in the DR.

-Lee

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
DR, dominican THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, la republica dominicana

Guys......... we are posting messages on a DR forum, is it REALLY such a big deal is some people spell the name of the country wrong? If someone spells 'USA' 'ESA', then that is understandable.
The poor person only wanted a reply to something that wasn't even her own opinion, she had heard it from somewhere and wanted to ask if it was false or based on anything at all. Can't we just reply without making people feel small for not being perfect at spelling, seeing as this is a 'la republica dominicana site', surely we know what they mean.
Is that not fair?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Dang! I didn't realize this was a new thread since we have another on the go. I fixed the title. That should make you all happy.

naskapi you can also read the other thread
click here