Do some children develop faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
trina said:
Glad to hear all is well with you, I saw your wife's post. There are many adjustments for Dominicans when they move, be patient, and work through the bad times, as times should always get better. Angel has been in Canada for nearly 4 years, and we're happier now than ever...expecting our 3rd son in February. It must be something in that Dominican blood that makes them so advanced (Dominic walked at 9 months plus three days, so trust me, I believe you). He started getting proficient on the computer at age 2.5! He can go into the internet, choose favorites, and get any game he wants to play - we never have to help him with anything on it. Also at age 2.5, he could spell his name out loud for you. He's starting to be able to spell his brother's name, as well as daddy and mommy (now age 3). Heck, he writes his name and it's nearly as legible as his daddy's writing (trust me, that doesn't say much ;) ;) )! Always glad to hear that through everything, you've been a good dad - keep working on your relationship, because marriage is hard work, but it's worth the rewards you reap.

We live in Calgary, Canada, so our weather is probably close to the same as yours. Trust me, they get used to it, but be prepared to fork over huge heating bills during the winter in the meantime!

Thanks for the update!

Your statements about dominican blood having somthing to early child development may be correct, to some extent. It's common knowledge in the medical fields that children of some degree of african descent(which includes many dominicans) typically develop sooner than caucasian and asian kids. Interesting, ain't it?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hold on I want to see a link to that "common knowledge in the medical fields" ;) I have blonde grandchildren that can use a computer and spell their name and change the font and font color and font size. :laugh: The four year old has been doing it for more than a year

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Hold on I want to see a link to that "common knowledge in the medical fields" ;) I have blonde grandchildren that can use a computer and spell their name and change the font and font color and font size. :laugh: The four year old has been doing it for more than a year

Oh yeah? WELL, MY boy can recognize any letter of the alphabet, recite the alphabet, count to 20 in English and Spanish, and is bilingual (he does talk more in English than Spanish, but completely comprehends both). He can hit a pitched ball, play a pretty mean game of hockey, and shoot a basket (size-friendly hoop) from about 6 feet. And he's only three. Beat that. Lol - just playing with you, Anna. You need to send me some updated pics of your beautiful grandchildren!

borruga

Aug 26, 2004
Originally Posted by Anna Coniglio
Hold on I want to see a link to that "common knowledge in the medical fields"
Both my children (7 and 1) are of african descent and both their pediatricians have independently mentioned the strikingly early development within the ethnic group - in regards to physical skills/motor function. When I asked if they had any scientific proof, they denied, but said that they had themselves come to this conclusion empirically in their every day work. This in a very much predominantly caucasian society.

so there may be something to this after all (please apologize for the farfetched DR-related content and going off topic with this thread)

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My son was managing his own company by the time he was three years old...man that african blood is some good stuff...just kidding

Dale: Are we sure this is not Yesenia posting? But seriously though, I'm glad you guys worked everything out if nothing else for little howie. As you know (or may remember) I live in Michigan too (Adrian). I would love a chance to meet you guys, as I'm always looking to meet other Dominicans or people who have an interest in my country. Someone posted earlier that you should try to make it to The DR as often as possible. I think this is great advise, as I can tell you from experience it can get very lonely up here in MI, without many other Dominicans around to make you life a bit more bearable in this frozen tundra. I for one, have decided that I will travel to The DR every time I get a chance. Minimun twice a year, you wouldn't believe the difference it will make.
Make sure to speak Spanish at home for Little Howie's sake. It's a big mistake I made with my kids, which I regret dearly today.

Take care and keep warm...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
So maybe it's the latin blood.......my son walked at 8 months

and my 3 1/2yr old randson plays on the computer (shape ,colour, alphabet games etc.) can read certain words (mommy, daddy, kitchen, happy, yes, no, his name etc.) so ethnicisity may ave something to do with it altho' it sounds to me that with the proper nourishment (physical, mental and emotional) Howie Jr. is just doingg what comes naturally.

Sr. as discovered tat all things can be worked out if two people are honest with each other and truly care for and respect each other.
Isn't that what a successful relationship is all about?? and also whhat is lacking in so many of thhe sankie situations we hear/read about???

Congrats on making a freshh start Howie and Yesenia and may all the best be yours in 2005 and beyond! ;)

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:

Anna,
I firmly believe that In the grand scheme of things, we as human beings are one. Yet, there remains some rather inexplicable differences between the races of mankind, in many different areas. I'm not suggesting that all caucasian and asian children can't develop early or that all black children mature sooner than all caucasian or asian children. I'm talking about averages etc... In addition, black girls also reach puberty sooner than white girls, on average.

Here's some diologue elaborating my viewpoint. Trust, I've cross-referenced such opinions thereof against a variety of sources:

http://www.arthurhu.com/2000/02/baby.txt

Last edited:

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Difference between White , Coloured or Asian

I lived several years in Africa as a teacher and have noticed rather big differences between black and white children . I had never seen children able to record , recall and remember things as rapidly as African children . They have apparently a "Tabula Rasa" and everyhting you teach them they learn quickly except when it came to mathematicas ..black children had difficulty to make relations, links between given data and especially to think in an abstract way .. As far as Asian kids are concerned all is concentrated on studies .. well-off Japanes people sent their children to the best kinder garten ,then to the best primary school and then if they succeed to the best college and University .. They are trained to study and have a maximum of discipline .. therefore for those who don't succeed it becomes a real drama (suicides eventually ) . As far as white children are concerned believe that the highest level of pre-uiversity degree is reached in Europe .. one of the problems is that children in Europe stop to be children to early ..their childhood is also to computer oriented ..and could finally end up in an a-social society where the "others" are far away from me .. Dominican people in general love their children a great deal although many men just leave their children with their mother as they often have more women in their life than 2 or three .. this ends in an unstable society.. as in Africa.. I know that not all people are a-like (the better for us ) but there is for sure a risk in creating a society without fathers ...and the thing of being proud about children well,if Dominicans have the opportunity to develop themselves they are so Dominicanly (??) proud about their children that it's sometimes boring .. In one of the texts one person cites what all is little boy can already do with the computer ,in that text if I remember welI he uses "playing " and the word " Playing "is correct and the one I like in this context . ..Competition or comparisons between children although it comes very naturally should not be pushed nor measured .. it will come later believe me ..and it will be though enough ..
By the way on maturing for sure Italian and Spanish and Greek girls are more mature (??) at least physically than the girls of the Northern countries .. That's climate related ..

carl ericson70 said:
Anna,
I firmly believe that In the grand scheme of things, we as human beings are one. Yet, there remains some rather inexplicable differences between the races of mankind, in many different areas. I'm not suggesting that all caucasian and asian children can't develop early or that all black children mature sooner than all caucasian or asian children. I'm talking about averages etc... In addition, black girls also reach puberty sooner than white girls, on average.

Here's some diologue elaborating my viewpoint. Trust, I've cross-referenced such opinions thereof against a variety of sources:

http://www.arthurhu.com/2000/02/baby.txt

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Please do not post in bold - it's very hard on the eyes, and makes it not worthwhile to read. Thanks!

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
hugoke01 said:
I lived several years in Africa as a teacher and have noticed rather big differences between black and white children . I had never seen children able to record , recall and remember things as rapidly as African children . They have apparently a "Tabula Rasa" and everyhting you teach them they learn quickly except when it came to mathematicas ..black children had difficulty to make relations, links between given data and especially to think in an abstract way .. As far as Asian kids are concerned all is concentrated on studies .. well-off Japanes people sent their children to the best kinder garten ,then to the best primary school and then if they succeed to the best college and University .. They are trained to study and have a maximum of discipline .. therefore for those who don't succeed it becomes a real drama (suicides eventually ) . As far as white children are concerned believe that the highest level of pre-uiversity degree is reached in Europe .. one of the problems is that children in Europe stop to be children to early ..their childhood is also to computer oriented ..and could finally end up in an a-social society where the "others" are far away from me .. Dominican people in general love their children a great deal although many men just leave their children with their mother as they often have more women in their life than 2 or three .. this ends in an unstable society.. as in Africa.. I know that not all people are a-like (the better for us ) but there is for sure a risk in creating a society without fathers ...and the thing of being proud about children well,if Dominicans have the opportunity to develop themselves they are so Dominicanly (??) proud about their children that it's sometimes boring .. In one of the texts one person cites what all is little boy can already do with the computer ,in that text if I remember welI he uses "playing " and the word " Playing "is correct and the one I like in this context . ..Competition or comparisons between children although it comes very naturally should not be pushed nor measured .. it will come later believe me ..and it will be though enough ..
By the way on maturing for sure Italian and Spanish and Greek girls are more mature (??) at least physically than the girls of the Northern countries .. That's climate related ..

I agree with most of what you've written. To that I'd add that; although black children develop quite sooner than others. It's been proven that over time white and especially asian children usually catch up and surpase black children in intellectual capacity. I don't know exactly how much environment, family life and the socio-economic standings of black children's families' adds to the equation, but I'm sure they're indeed factors.

World-wide blacks tend to lag behind others in mathmatecal abilities, which has a great deal to do with their lower recorded IQs. Yet, they show strength in verbal accumen and picking up new languages. Not to mention that they collectively have a high degree of artistic & musical talent.

*Generally speaking*

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
LOLOLOLOLOL

I totally feel you on this one...I'll let it go and have a good laugh.

But I can't help but mention this: While the family breakdown is a legacy of slavery, in that most people were bartered for, bought and sold, without regard to family structure, it should not be an excuse for irresponsible trifling behavior by grown arse folks who know better.

Deelt, another mathematically inclined negress.

xamaicano said:
Oh sweet lord!

signed,
Xamaicano, mathematically inclined negroe.

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
The survival of the fittest

There is one aspect we can't forget when speaking about development of coloured versus white people ..and that is the survival of the fittest ..When teaching in Africa (Burkina Fasso and Ivory Coast ) have known many families who had 7 to 10 children but only three or 4 survived ..the strongest ... there was a natural selection which no longer exists in more developed countries ,where early born children survive thru medical care .. This survival of the fittest makes that at least in Africa most children were strong and healthy if they were living under normal conditions at least.. Assume that slavery (lot of black people brought to the US as slaves came out of the region I was working in ) had same impact .. the survival of the fittest ...
The same occurred to Jewish people , in general they have a survival instinct, a survival intelligence .. intelligent and clever and very close to each other, helpingeach other out when needed etc.. this must be the result of being clever during centuries to survive .. Worked for some time in a few Arab Countries (Saudi Arabia /Koeweit and the Emerates ) . In these countries as you probably know they have complete SOUKS where they only sell gold, diamonds etc.. Most diamonds they sell come from Antwerp in Belgium where the diamond industry is almost 100 % in the hands of Jewish people. (Jewish selling to Arabs !!!) ..

Would just llike to give one more comment on Mathemathics and Asian people .. One of my brothers is a professor at the UCLA .. A few years ago they put a quote on Asian people ( limited the Asian people in number ) for maths . and maths related studies because if entrance would only be based on examens and test about 95% of all students would be Asians ..
carl ericson70 said:
I agree with most of what you've written. To that I'd add that; although black children develop quite sooner than others. It's been proven that over time white and especially asian children usually catch up and surpase black children in intellectual capacity. I don't know exactly how much environment, family life and the socio-economic standings of black children's families' adds to the equation, but I'm sure they're indeed factors.

World-wide blacks tend to lag behind others in mathmatecal abilities, which has a great deal to do with their lower recorded IQs. Yet, they show strength in verbal accumen and picking up new languages. Not to mention that they collectively have a high degree of artistic & musical talent.

*Generally speaking*

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I split the thread. It was taking away from Dale's original topic. Although this info is very interesting it better stay informative or it's gone.

Oh wait, although interesting this is getting a little racial and I forgot the rules about no racial subjects because people can't discuss it like normal human beings.

Thread closed!

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.