Jet Blue baggage requirements

JJandN

Nov 16, 2004
Just got this email in and thought it may be of interest to people.

Subject: New Baggage Requirements for Travel to Santiago

Thank you for booking your flight with JetBlue Airways to Santiago; we look forward to welcoming you aboard. We are confident you will enjoy our friendly crew members, leather seats, and new aircraft. It is our goal that all customers enjoy every aspect of their JetBlue flight.

To ensure a positive JetBlue experience, we want to inform you of special guidelines for our customers traveling to the Dominican Republic. Due to the high volume of baggage we see on our flights to Santiago, each customer is limited to two bags and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 50 pounds. Any bag that weighs between 50 and 70 pounds will be accepted on a space available basis only. JetBlue does not accept any bags weighing over 70 pounds on our flights to the Dominican Republic.

Please plan to arrive at our ticket counter at least 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure; JetBlue uses Terminal 6 at New York?s JFK Airport. If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-JETBLUE and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you for choosing JetBlue and enjoy your flight to Santiago.

Sincerely,

John Layton

Manager Customer Commitment

JetBlue Airways

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2004
Well.........

We had to expect this is monkey see monkey do. At the same time is good atleast now you wont see all these dominicans with apartments in there baggage. All we need to wait for is Delta and Contimental now to complete the four as of now we are 2 to 4.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
mmmm let me analyse this

apdomini100max said:
We had to expect this is monkey see monkey do. At the same time is good atleast now you wont see all these dominicans with apartments in there baggage. All we need to wait for is Delta and Contimental now to complete the four as of now we are 2 to 4.

AA flies A-300 which takes a LOT more luggage than any other STI bound passenger plane....... and they put 50lb restrictions....

what do you expect from the other carriers?????? ALL of the other companies have very serious luggage problems so all of them will follow papa AA luggage resticitions.

STIOP

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Defacto on Delta!

We flew down on Delta to SD (not Santiago) in Oct. and these baggage limits were in force then! We were told by Delta staff here in the DR that "delayed" BAGGAGE is routine because of excess baggage being brought into the country by Dominicans so cargo holds cannot hold all baggage for individual flights!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
STIOP said:
AA flies A-300 which takes a LOT more luggage than any other STI bound passenger plane....... and they put 50lb restrictions....

what do you expect from the other carriers?????? ALL of the other companies have very serious luggage problems so all of them will follow papa AA luggage resticitions.

STIOP

AA uses the A-300 for freight plus it holds more passengers that the JB aircraft so you are comparing a VW beetle to a Lincoln and they make far more on freight than passengers so the 50lb. limit is to maximize revenue. And it is 50 lbs. per piece not total, so other than bringing the kitchen sink home to the DR, for tourists 100 lbs. each plus carry on is enough for a week.

Jun 5, 2004
ricktoronto said:
AA uses the A-300 for freight plus it holds more passengers that the JB aircraft so you are comparing a VW beetle to a Lincoln and they make far more on freight than passengers so the 50lb. limit is to maximize revenue. And it is 50 lbs. per piece not total, so other than bringing the kitchen sink home to the DR, for tourists 100 lbs. each plus carry on is enough for a week.

the only problem is that tourist usually do not fly to Santiago. I think Dominicans are now up the wall. Guess this is good for the people who take boxes to the Dominican Republic. A 300 are animals and they did it everyone else will do it. Plus its a relief for the airline with this.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Mr. Toronto..........

ricktoronto said:

I have to compare them because JetBlue and AA have a DIRECT competition to NY.....

Just to give you a hint on the cargo of Dominicans........ In December the A300 brought over 30,000 pounds of bags when the flight was full... all 23 containers full of bags.... and yes... they left bags......

My point is...... when u see a line of 30 people at 3 in the morning claiming baggage.... almost eveyday..... makes u wonder why every big family with lots of stuff flies with AA.....

And.... i`m a huge fan of Jetblue, i use B6 for my own travel, but that`s my choice... eveybody has one.........

The A320 & B737 are aircraft for the regional and NORMAL baggage carrying........ we dominicans simply carry too much baggage... period......

And that my friends is why AA uses the Lincoln and JetBlue, the beautiful & modern but useless for this market Bettle....

STIOP

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
jet blue

JetBlue gave me 4 checkin..@70 each..2 for orphanage and were happy to do it. The supervisor e-mail me to make sure everything was up to my requests. ;) that's called great management and support. :nervous:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
STIOP said:
I have to compare them because JetBlue and AA have a DIRECT competition to NY.....

Just to give you a hint on the cargo of Dominicans........ In December the A300 brought over 30,000 pounds of bags when the flight was full... all 23 containers full of bags.... and yes... they left bags......

STIOP
Well you missed the point as most of you guys in this forum do - apart from Christmas (with the Dominican luggage - by and large embargoed now anyway, as in the summer) AA ships a lot of freight to and from the DR and the FTZ's in particular, so the large aircraft aid that and the passengers are a secondary form of income.

Jun 5, 2004
santobonao said:
AA is making a error by putting its limit with 50Ib per baggage. Especially to Dominican republic.

Any airline who does this is doing a great error knowing how Dominicans are with luggage. Lets see the future of JetBlue with this new policy. I guess it will affect AA but not as much since Dominicanans have a great loyalty on it. Hope Delta does not follow the crowd.

xxeonzz

May 30, 2004
they had that coming...

I may be the minority, but I rather PAY to not take heavy baggage. If people really want to send stuff to their family, why dont they use those cargo companies? There is one in every corner of a hispanic neighborhood. They provide huge boxes and usually ship for under $100...

AA was the first airline to introduce this restriction, even when they ACTUALLY had the cargo capacity to take all those 70 lb bags. Its only obvious that airliens that dont have the A300 (aka the scary monster) will follow suit. Jetblue and Delta CANNOT transport that much luggage, whats really surprising is that they do it much after AA (who did it purely to maximize profits)...

I always wonder what AA is going to do when they are forced to retire those monsters... they wont be able to handle luggage as well as they do now.

Jun 5, 2004
xxeonzz said:
I may be the minority, but I rather PAY to not take heavy baggage. If people really want to send stuff to their family, why dont they use those cargo companies? There is one in every corner of a hispanic neighborhood. They provide huge boxes and usually ship for under $100...

AA was the first airline to introduce this restriction, even when they ACTUALLY had the cargo capacity to take all those 70 lb bags. Its only obvious that airliens that dont have the A300 (aka the scary monster) will follow suit. Jetblue and Delta CANNOT transport that much luggage, whats really surprising is that they do it much after AA (who did it purely to maximize profits)...

I always wonder what AA is going to do when they are forced to retire those monsters... they wont be able to handle luggage as well as they do now.

Is there a year when AA will have to retire the A300's in how many years is that? I hope soon since i belive that theyve been flying since the late 1960's

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
JJandN said:
Just got this email in and thought it may be of interest to people.

Subject: New Baggage Requirements for Travel to Santiago

Thank you for booking your flight with JetBlue Airways to Santiago; we look forward to welcoming you aboard. We are confident you will enjoy our friendly crew members, leather seats, and new aircraft. It is our goal that all customers enjoy every aspect of their JetBlue flight.

To ensure a positive JetBlue experience, we want to inform you of special guidelines for our customers traveling to the Dominican Republic. Due to the high volume of baggage we see on our flights to Santiago, each customer is limited to two bags and the weight of each piece cannot exceed 50 pounds. Any bag that weighs between 50 and 70 pounds will be accepted on a space available basis only. JetBlue does not accept any bags weighing over 70 pounds on our flights to the Dominican Republic.

Please plan to arrive at our ticket counter at least 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure; JetBlue uses Terminal 6 at New York?s JFK Airport. If you have any questions please call us at 1-800-JETBLUE and we will be happy to assist you. Thank you for choosing JetBlue and enjoy your flight to Santiago.

Sincerely,

John Layton

Manager Customer Commitment

JetBlue Airways

like to know when they sent you this? I have received e-mails and many conversations on the phone with three supervisors and not one of them has mentioned anything other then keep it underneath 70 pounds. Maybe I'm just missing something?

JJandN

Nov 16, 2004
easygoin said:
like to know when they sent you this? I have received e-mails and many conversations on the phone with three supervisors and not one of them has mentioned anything other then keep it underneath 70 pounds. Maybe I'm just missing something?

I posted it the same day I received it. I am also flying to Santiago this weekend, so I am sure that played a large part in when they decided to tell me about this. I only take a carry on bag myself, so it is no bother to me, but I figured others might find the news interesting!

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Ok Mr Toronto

ricktoronto said:
Well you missed the point as most of you guys in this forum do - apart from Christmas (with the Dominican luggage - by and large embargoed now anyway, as in the summer) AA ships a lot of freight to and from the DR and the FTZ's in particular, so the large aircraft aid that and the passengers are a secondary form of income.

Ok Mr. Toronto.... i understand ur point..........

But.... do not generalize ur opinions of the people in this forum..... I with my own eyes have seen 3 LD3 containers full of cargo being taken off of an
A-300 in STI because it was overweight..... I understand that they don`t have a reason to lower to 50, but they did.....

Why??? because everybody uses AA..... 5 A300 DAILY to STI........ why should they leave it at 70 when eveybody and their mothers flies american when they make u have 50.....

I hope you still don`t think that everybody in this forum doesnt know about what their talking about....... at least i make my comments to help people in this forum to understand things about the aviation business that i`m involved in everyday.... i`m more than glad to help..........

Ohh.... have you had the chance to see a DRP Mr Toronto?????? have u analyzed a STI bound or outbound DRP???? do you actually know how many pounds of cargo they transport on EACH flight??????

Just curious......

STIOP