Cheers to Hillbilly!

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
Cheers to Hillbilly!

I hate to repeat things that have been posted on this site but I want to share something that I can never get tired of reading.

1 Word, 3 Syllables: Hillbilly

As everyone knows, Hillbilly is the go-to-guy on this website. He is quick to answer questions, quick to give his opinion and most importantly quick to help us all out with anything we need. He is a wealth of information and is quick to share. He is "the man". Throughout the years, I've read his postings, I've asked a few questions and he is always there. I already knew how great he is, we all do. But I had the honor (it truly was) to meet him in Santiago.
I couldn't stay in Santiago knowing that "El Profesor", "the man" was living just a few miles away from where I was. I emailed him and asked perhaps if we could meet. He agreed(for some crazy reason) and invited me to lunch at his "hovel" as he calls it.

I usually don't meet men that I talk to via the internet(ha ha ha), but he was a DR1 guy, he was nice and he was Hillbilly! So how can I not meet him, this shy girl was not shy about that. So the same day I arrive to Santiago, I call him to see if he was still up for lunch, which he was and told me to meet him at his place @ 12pm....I get there and I ask a lovely lady(office administrator) for el Senor Luis. To my surprise, there comes out a dashing, handsome, younger man. Now, in no way I am saying that Hillbilly isn't that, it's just that I was expecting someone a tad bit older. So this lovely lady sees the perplexed look on my face and realizes that it was not the younger Hillbilly but the Senior one that I was looking for. So, it turns out to be two of them (Jr. and Senior) to which Jr. takes me to the house where I was greeted by El Profesor.

There he was, the man in the flesh.
Just like I expected, very inviting, very gracious and very accommodating. He introduced me to his 2 handsome sons, his lovely wife, some friends and quite possibly the cutest Chihuahua ever. So we chatted a bit, I asked a few questions about how he, this gringo ended up in Santiago and he basically said Love brought him there. Awe! A romantic as well! (ha ha ha). Then ate some lunch which was amazing (someday I will be able to make Locrio like that)! The man was truly exceptional and just plain smart. So my 1+ hrs with him came to an end which was unfortunate because I'm sure he has a million stories to tell. We parted ways but not before he invited me for another visited when I am back in the city later this year.

I hate to sound corny and cheesy but this world should have more Hillbillys....just a genuine nice man!
So Hillbilly, I am your number No. 1 fan! You truly are a kind & caring person which quite honestly is hard to find these days.
Will you adopt me? Anyway, Thanks to you and your family for your hospitality and thanks for opening the doors of your warm home to me.

respectfully,
-Carol

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
oh, I forgot to mention....

Oh, I forgot to mention that my only regret is that I forgot to bring my camera with me so I could have posted pictures up on the site! maybe next time....

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hillbilly is a very well honored and respected member of santiago society. Almost everyone knows him and most of the key players in santiago were his students one time or another. Last time I saw him at palermo, i almost didn't recoganize him. He has lost like 60lbs which makes him look alot younger than he actualy was when I saw him in sosua. He knows almost everyone is santiago which makes him a very powerful man. Thanks god he is not a mean spirited dude or he would make anyone's life miserable just by making a phone call.
If I could vote, I would vote for Hillbilly 2008 presidential ticket.
AZB

Hb

You have likely met the most wonderful man in the DR, Luis who I consider a friend did the same for us as he has done for many opened his hovel and made one feel right at home.

If everyone in the world were like this man, Peace would be here permanently.

He has my vote.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'll 5th that.
He's a wonderful man. Good heart, open house to all visitors. Been there for lunch.

I'll be there next time for sure Luis. Need to hug the thin guy. ;)

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
want to hear something funny about this?

want to hear something funny about this?

well, I forgot to mention in my posting that.......ok, start laughing now.....
but as I was about to go to HB's house, my cousin who took me asked me who he was. I truly didn't know what to say and I most certainly didn't want to say I met him on the internet. She would have killed me. I'm a grown woman but you just don't want to tell people something like that because they always think the worse. Anyway, I just said the first thing that popped in my head. That he was the father of a friend of mine from NY and I told her I would stop by to see him. Yeah, dumn idea. Anyway, she found out who he was and she says to me if he was the same Luis that taught at the university and she described him physically......Yes, it is the same one but I said, I didn't know......So, basically everyone in Santiago knows HB! My cousin is an architect who knows alot of people as well, so I should not have lied in the first place. I should have known that she would know him.........ha ha ha.......yeah, I'm a fool for saying that.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'll second that emotion!!!

Need I say more......to know him is to love him.....even if you HAVEN'T met in person!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
HB is one of this country's most outstanding redeeming features that keeps my love/hate relationship with it leaning decidedly towards the love side MOST OF THE TIME.

His wife and daughter kept me sane attending university in a foreign country in a foreign language, and I only hope that wherever life takes me, when I have 1/2 his age I will have 1/4 the respect this man gets.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AW, quit it already. I am a curmudgeon!

Actually, Carol is a gem of a nice lady. What a lot of people should emulate when they migrate. Highly articulate, well educated and a really graceful person. It was a pleasure to have her at the house. Even Mrs. HB, who does not take to my "realengos" from the Internet fell for her. And that's twice in one week! I must be on a roll.

Anyway, it was a good visit and, of course, you will be back here in December. I suppose the lure of Punta Rucia will make that trip a done deal?? HuMMMM?

And thank you all for the kind comments. Sorry, no politics.

One question: How did Grandma respond to the music? PM me about it, okay?

HB :D:D

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Stop everyone

You're giving him all these nice replies. ;) You know what that means...eat..eat...eat... ;) . He's finally lost enough to actually compete against BUSHBABY on the golf course.:nervous: .... so let's not build him up even though he deserves it. You're the best old man. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

eldorada

Mar 9, 2005
:cool: I want to add my cheers too! First gave me the idea of living in Santiago, keep up the good deeds!

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
Your so funny HB.....your wife was amazing. I guess you just really have good judgement. Oh, you better believe it, I am there in December.
Eventhough I would vote for you, I wouldn't want you to get into Politics.......I don't want them to corrupt you!

About the music and grandma......it was a great idea. You made the trip even better than I thought it would be. I'll pm you all about it......I have photos!!!

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
You are right Carcol! Mr. Hillbilly is indeed one very cool gentleman. I have already thanked him in private for graciously making time for a round of golf with me and my buddies while in Santiago last month, but I'll join the ranks of public fans of the professor here, and reiterate what an amazing guy I think he is. We enjoyed his company even more than we did the actual game. Too bad we couldn't hang around longer. But we will get together again. ...and we DO need more people like him in this world.

Mi casa es su casa, amigo Hillbilly.
- Tordok

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
easygoin said:
You're giving him all these nice replies. ;) You know what that means...eat..eat...eat... ;) . He's finally lost enough to actually compete against BUSHBABY on the golf course.:nervous: .... so let's not build him up even though he deserves it. You're the best old man. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

HOPEFULLY, we shall see about that this coming Friday!!!

Concur totally with the above comments re his generosity & hospitality. My hope is that I shall be 1/4 as kind/considerate as he when I get to be 1/2 his age!!!

See you 09.00 Friday morning Boss Man! ~ Grahame.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
a great guy

He is a true gem and deserves the respect he gets.. he even got on well with me, which can be quite difficult ;)

Again Luis, thank you for all the nice things you did, your sage advice and your good company!

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Carol,

Let's be cautious about all those platitudes for Hillbilly. Seems I have a secret dossier on old HB right here.

Hmnn.. (reading along here...)

Grew up in West Virginia... that does make him a true hillbilly. Read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey at the age of 4. Impressive. Had a paper route at the age of 5. Wow.

Now here's where things go bad..

Served time for a Ponzi scheme and fled the country. HB was traced to Argentina and Brazil. He later turned up in the Dominican Republic. Fancy that... You see that old story about falling in love was a smoke screen. HB fell in love alright - with his secret hideaway cabin in those Santiago mountains where he couldn't be traced.

Reading the dossier further, ...HB came to the DR with two of the finest coon dogs every bred. Their names were Bonnie and Billy. Say, ... the governor of West Virginia had two missing coon dogs by that same name. Probably just a coincidence.

The dossier goes on to say that the state of West Virginia sent a couple troopers to the DR to get the dogs back and gave HB a real spindle. Says HB got worried he could be nabbed and learned judo to fend off the LE. Explains why he became a grand wizard of the K.K.K. - K-9 Koon Dog Kamp.

At age 36, Hillbilly made a major decision in his life to attend charm school. A bit old... but nevertheless, he did it, completing a Dean Martin correspondence course. (Old Dean was smooth with women, you have to admit.) Of course, he did fail the J. Paul Getty correspondence course and had to work for a living.

At age 47, HB became concerned about his age and searched high and low for the fountain of youth. Instead he found the fountain of intellect. This was in 1969, the year that man went to the moon. Secret NASA file said they did it with help of a Caribbean coon dog raiser. I wonder.....nah, couldn't be...

Anyway, if true that would make HB about 82. Betcha he undertook some of those risky facelifts in Santo Domingo. Hey, got to give the man credit for bravery.

In case Hillbilly reads this, I just changed my address in West VA !!

Well, sure hope I can beat St. Martin press to his door to write HB's autobiography. 7 to 5 odds that it would sell a 1000 copies on DR1! ;)

carcol

Mar 9, 2004
Bravo King....

This was hysterical! Your right, maybe I should not have judged the man too soon-This makes you think!......ha ha ha ha.........This was very entertaining!

ps-sign me up for the autobiography....My check is in the mail!

Nov 5, 2004
kingofdice said:
Well, sure hope I can beat St. Martin press to his door to write HB's autobiography. 7 to 5 odds that it would sell a 1000 copies on DR1! ;)

hahaha! I would buy one! :)

I have heard nothing but good things about hillbilly (before I even read this thread), and I have noticed him give out some of the most helpful advice I have seen here on DR1.

Unfortunatly I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him....I will be down in his neck of the woods sometime soon....but despite all his kindness and goodness...I would be a bit intimidated to actually meet him...someone so intelligent..(and famous for that matter!) ;)

Maybe when I have finally setteled and made my home in the DR I will get the courage up to go meet him....

(NOTE TO SELF...must read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey before going to meet Hillbilly)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
carcol said:
This was hysterical! Your right, maybe I should not have judged the man too soon-This makes you think!......ha ha ha ha.........This was very entertaining!

ps-sign me up for the autobiography....My check is in the mail!

I?m in too! Pls do it before christmas and in English, Spanish and Swedish.
Then all the xmas gifts are taken care of, and the best gifts ever possible to give.

Ps. I need a kid version too, "The life & adventures of HB". ;)