Great Trip But I Was Replaced By Another Man!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Just got back from my latest trip to the wonderful DR, from the 15th to the 23rd. Wayyyyyyyyy to darn short!!!!!.

As always, since 1983, my best friend Ramon was waiting(finally since most of the times I am the one waiting for him, you know, the dominican "thing" of always being late even to their own funeral, lol) for me.

From there, we went to the Barcelo Talanquera, since I had reservations for just 2 days (for just 2 days because if I did not like it, I was going to be out of there as if I had ants up my axx) starting on the 17th. I just needed to see if I made the right choice when I decided to booke it after getting the nicest reply from a worker after I sent them an inquiry email.

In a way, I wanted to be near my loved ones since it's located in San Pedro and my half-brother lives near-by, my father lives 30 minutes away, mom Elena 40 minutes and my brother Carlos is about 45 minutes away. I just wanted to be right on the middle. What I saw at the Talanquera was more than satisfactory and Rafael, from the front desk, was more than nice when I asked him one question. I still needed to stay so I was not going to count my blessings until the 17th.

Off to the Hamaca in Boca Chica we went (it was on the way so no biggie) since I had reservations there for the 21th until the 23rd. Amazingly, after parking and getting out of the car, a lady came over to me and asked me if I had water with me. After I gave her my bottle, she ran to a parked car nearby. I saw that she was crying and I ran to her car to see what was happening. Inside the car was a little boy throwing up. She mentioned that her whole family had gotten sick. That they had eaten something. So she claimed that she was cutting her stay there short. Off they went. Since the reception/front desk guy was a prick that needed to finish his personal call before helping 3 older ladies that were ahead of me, I, after 5 minutes( and listening to all his bull crap in spanish), asked for the manager and demanted for the ladies to be taken care of. Out came this nice young girl and after the ladies and I complained about the rude worker, she took care of them and then I just told her to cancel my reservation. She wanted me to change my mind but to me, first impressions are "keys to lock a deal". What did I get out of it?, a nice kiss on the cheek from a great-grandma on my way out. Good enough for me!.

I could not wait any longer and I needed to go see my brother Carlos. I needed to see that he was fine. I needed to talk with his doctor. I needed to interview a few people that would be taking care of him and making sure that he is well taken care of. I needed to see that the new apartment that Mayra and Ramon got for him was nice and accomodating. Got there and saw that he was happy. His neighbours are nice people. The location was not of my liking but he was happy. Off we went, within minutes, to buy him some furniture (Lord, they are 3 times more expensive than here). I just spent the first 2 days taking him places and buying things for him.

On Sunday morning, off to the airport we went to pick up Louisa. Amazingly, her plane was about 30 MINUTES AHEAD OF TIME, so since I have dominican blood and I could not be any different than my compatriots, I was "late". Off to the Talanquera. It was to her liking. It's more like a family oriented resort. Lots of kids and couples. Check-in was at 3pm and since we were there before 1pm, Rafael took care of us and told us to just go drink and eat until 3pm. Ummm, good idea. At 3pm, he apologized since it was not ready yet. Off to drink and eat some more we went. Btw, when checking in at a resort, when they are not ready, JUST GO EAT AND DRINK until your rooms are ready. Don't get mad, get full and drunk, lol. And, btw, it's ok to leave the resort and venture out. We went a few times to "El Tamarindo" restaurant in Playa Guayacanes and the atmosphere was COOL.

Since we had such a great 2 days, I decided not to go anywhere else and booked another 2 days. We had the nicest 4 days. The resort is a nice place. The workers are very, very nice. The food was good. The drinks were great. The rooms were very, very clean. I have not one complain about the place. I needed a cake to celebrate something and they even made it for me for free. Not the best resort but it's not expansive either. I got much, much more than what I paid for. Crap, in one day I ate and drank more than I paid for the whole 4 days, lol.

Now, below is the story of being dumped FOR ANOTHER MAN!!. And I did not even get the "he is my cousin" comment:

On the 17th, I called my "man", AZB, to see if we were going to get together like we did on my last 2 trips. Mind you, I had already made plans with him via PM's.

He started to tell me, like a true man, that he was not sure since he had company and he needed to be a good host to a visiting DR1 member. I GOT DUMPED FOR LARRY!!!!!. He wanted me to drive over there but it was impossible since I only had 4 days. He did not care that I told him that Louisa and my brother wanted to meet him. Now it's all about work and his new "love". How easy they forget :cry: .

Everything was Larry this and Larry that. " I got to do this and that with Larry". "I have to see Larry". "Larry is leaving later". Like a true sankie that he is, he did called me a few times trying to make me happy. He even came out with some good days so we could meet but by this time it was just out of the question. My "manhood" was thrown to the floor for another man. I guess that it's true what they say: " "tall, baldy guys have more fun than fat, short and ugly guys"!!!!!.

All jokes aside, thanks for the calls buddy, I will be going back to the DR in a few months and I will make the trip to see you. You are a very nice man and I don't care what EVERYBODY HERE say about you, lol.

After 4 magical days, 4 days of spending time together, spending time with Ramon, brother Carlos, mom Elena and Tony, it was time to take Louisa back to the airport.

Off to finish with the interviews and more talks with the doctor and sign some contracts. Then it was time to visit some organizations and visit some of my "kids" again.

I called our very own Sunshine79 just to say "hi" and to let her know that I was sorry for not calling before with the plans for the get-together. Very pleasant and friendly young lady. Maybe next time.

Now, the 23rd, it was time to leave. Off I went. Back to the "normal" life.

Ps: Carina and Planner, sorry I did not get in touch with you dolls, I was not able to go to an internet cafe.

Sunnie, thanks for the invitation. If only I had more time. And no, I am not going to be in the capital when you are there in 2 weeks, lol. I wish.

AZB, you are "mi pana de verdad".

Louisa, what an incredible person you are. Truly amanzy.

PSSSSS: The Barcelo Talanquera is NOT a sankie resort. Rafael told me that they are warned all the time about sociazing with the guests. Some have tried and lost their jobs. Some workers don't even make contact with the guests.

Great trip indeed!!!!!.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Great report Miguel......

and I'm glad my recommendation to you of Talanquera was not off the mark.
The last friends we had that stayed there was back in November so I didn't think things had changed much since then.
They also mentioned there didn't seem to be too many sankies around the place (they tend to hang out at one of the bars on the street just a few doors away!).

Now that you know where Talanquera is it's only a short 2 km stroll down the beach road to our condo so I fully expect to see you when next we are both in the DR.

;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
MommC said:
and I'm glad my recommendation to you of Talanquera was not off the mark.
The last friends we had that stayed there was back in November so I didn't think things had changed much since then.
They also mentioned there didn't seem to be too many sankies around the place (they tend to hang out at one of the bars on the street just a few doors away!).

Now that you know where Talanquera is it's only a short 2 km stroll down the beach road to our condo so I fully expect to see you when next we are both in the DR.

;)
Thanks Mommc.

And thanks again for the recommendation.

I am one of these guys that I have to see "things" in order for me to believe it. I do take people's advices but as I always say "what may look green to me, may look brown to others". I made the right choice.

Listen, I am a big LAMBON so don't throw many invitations my way if you don't want me to be at your house every day for dinner!!. And I may even bring a few friends with me, lol.

Thanks again!.

May 31, 2005
Great. After I read some of those posts you are talking about Miguel I did not want to go to this resort but now after hearing how great you were treated I will give it a chance. Thanks.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
NIce report Miguel. SOrry we could not get together, maybe next time!!!

Based on your nice review I will contact the Barcelo Talanquera to discuss my companies need for rooms!!!

I cannot believe that AZB would throw you over for Larry though.. just incredible......

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
All I am saying!

Dragonfly32837 said:
Great. After I read some of those posts you are talking about Miguel I did not want to go to this resort but now after hearing how great you were treated I will give it a chance. Thanks.
See, the thing is that it worked very well for me. We were treated very well and very respectfully. We were made to feel that we mattered.

Granted, is not the best resort that I have stayed, by far, but for the price, it was above my spectations. I was not specting a 5 star resort. If I wanted that, I would had stayed in one and pay 3 or 4 times more. For me it's not about the money, just the location and the way they treat their guests.

You also need to understand that I really do not need much to feel comfortable at a place. When I am on vacataion, I try for nothing to bother me. I will try my hardest to not let many things ruin even a few minutes out of my "relaxing" time.

A lady in front of me was throwing a fit because her room was not ready and she handled it her way. Me?, my room was not ready and instead of getting mad, I ended up going to drink and eat some more. Why make a big deal about something that you have no control over?.

May 31, 2005
miguel said:
See, the thing is that it worked very well for me. We were treated very well and very respectfully. We were made to feel that we mattered.

Granted, is not the best resort that I have stayed, by far, but for the price, it was above my spectations. I was not specting a 5 star resort. If I wanted that, I would had stayed in one and pay 3 or 4 times more. For me it's not about the money, just the location and the way they treat their guests.

You also need to understand that I really do not need much to feel comfortable at a place. When I am on vacataion, I try for nothing to bother me. I will try my hardest to not let many things ruin even a few minutes out of my "relaxing" time.

A lady in front of me was throwing a fit because her room was not ready and she handled it her way. Me?, my room was not ready and instead of getting mad, I ended up going to drink and eat some more. Why make a big deal about something that you have no control over?.
I'm the same way. I will not throw a hissy fit for something like that. I do understand what you pay for is what you get. I do not go to a 3 star hotel expecting a 5 star. I have worked in hospitality and know what truly matters when it comes to accomodations and service.

To me it's more about the way you are treated. I have held customer service jobs in the past and ever since then if I don't get treated the way I should at anyplace, I would rather go somewhere else.

It's about the location for me too because I will be in Santo Domingo and I'm thinking about spending two or three nights either in Juan Dolio or Guayacanes.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
INdeed!!

planner said:
NIce report Miguel. SOrry we could not get together, maybe next time!!!

Based on your nice review I will contact the Barcelo Talanquera to discuss my companies need for rooms!!!

I cannot believe that AZB would throw you over for Larry though.. just incredible......
Thanks planner. Perhaps next time.

A little piece of advice: after calling them, make sure that you, yourself, stay there a day or two. Why?, because as I said, what I see as a plus, you may see as a minus.

About AZB, can you believe his nerves?. He started our planned "GayFest2" without it's star, lol!!!!!. Men!!.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Always Miguel, I always stay anywhere that I am thinking of negotiating a contract with. Same theory on restaurants, tour excursions, golf courses etc.... Kind of makes it fun for me......

Look forward to seeing you next time....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
No problem Miguel!

I find it much easier to cook for a gang than just for two.....especially when one is on a special diet!!
Keep in mind that I like to be 'treated' at one of the local restaurants once in a while! :p

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
MommC

I've heard about your cooking and as a helpful DR1er I will help you out. Next time you are here and cooking and need someone to eat - Call me........... I'm glad to help you out.....

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
MommC said:
I find it much easier to cook for a gang than just for two.....especially when one is on a special diet!!
Keep in mind that I like to be 'treated' at one of the local restaurants once in a while! :p
Ok, let's make a deal. Since I have heard about your "yummy, finger licking, exotic" dishes, I will eat your home cooked meal once and then I will take you to a chimichurry stand for a chimi and a soda. Deal?.

Btw, is it true that the more one eats your food, the hornier one gets?. If that is true, count on me for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late snack, lol!!!!!.
If true, you and planner should stay faaaaaaar away from me, lol.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
miguel said:
Btw, is it true that the more one eats your food, the hornier one gets?. If that is true, count on me for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late snack, lol!!!!!.
If true, you and planner should stay faaaaaaar away from me, lol.
Planner, darling, LOL means "Laughling Out Loud". As in "joking around". As in "not serious". As in "playing around". As in, well you get the idea.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Bachateame mama, como anoche!!!.

planner said:
As in I know.......... silly..... I was teasing right back....
Cool amore. I thought that I was going to lose the only "friend" that I have on this site, lol.

Thanks for the PM reply.

Btw, if insterested, I have one or two pics from my trip that if you want, I can send to you so you can put on your bloggie. Not pics of me, just some dominican "panoramas". I was going to do the same for carina but SHE IS IGNORING ME. Oh, the insanity!!.

Let me know!.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
YOu are welcome my dear...

Yes to the photos.... I just have to learn how to upload photos to my blog.... I am sure I can do this.... If Escott can, so can I....

I just took some fabulous shots at a private beach on the north coast. I've just been hired to do some consulting work for them.... stunning beach....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
miguel said:
Cool amore. I thought that I was going to lose the only "friend" that I have on this site, lol.

Does this mean we are no longer friends? Just because I close threads and delete posts doesn't mean I don't like you, you know. Someone has to do it. :laugh:

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
planner said:
I just took some fabulous shots at a private beach on the north coast. I've just been hired to do some consulting work for them.... stunning beach....

Hey Darlene,

Um, private beach? Didn't we just go through all that with Encuentro? ;)

BTW - I've been out of town but I am still looking forward to get together with you for coffee or a drink (I know, I know, no more than 2 for you;)

Stay well,
Amy

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Encuentro????? did I miss something.

Yes Amy, coffee, drinks, RIBS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just reported on my blog about eating ribs at Rocky's!!!!!!!!

http://dr1.com/blogs/?u=planner

Oh my goodness they are sooooooooo good..... Want to go next week???

Anyone else want to join us.....???