Cleaning Beaches

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Cleaning the outdoor natural toliets at Playa Grande would be quite an undertaking.

Bob K

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Not into picking up used condoms and tampons.
Back in NJ we have the county jail prisoners volunteer for beach cleanup. They can't wait to volunteer for a day out in the sun. Local businesses even donate lunch for them.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
One of the residents/business owners in Juan Dolio

organizes a beach clean up at least once a year. However the people cleaning do get paid.
The dive shop that our friend used to have also hosted a PADI beach cleanup one year with divers doing an underwater clean-up at the same time.
I'd be interested in helping host a DR1 beach cleanup day........
Email me Rob if ya want to start something in my area when I'm there!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
CEBSE in Samana organized a beach clean up day there for many years. Don't know if they still do.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Cabrera Verde

Cabrera Verde is a enviro foundation created by the local foreign
residents and in co op with the Cabrera Mayor they managed to
clean Playa Caleton, Playa Diamante etc.

A few new Kiosks were also built to house small restaurants owned by locals. Apparently,the kiosks were given "gratis" under the provision that the owners
would keep the beach clean after the initial clean-up (which was
done by volunteers and funds collected from donations & events.

In fact, when I visit the area around Cabrera (lately every 6 weeks),
no waste or garbage is visible even in the streets of the city.

After seeing most of DR I believe Cabrera is one of the most clean
cities in the island. Nice work indeed.

Georgios.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Proyecto Guariquen in Las Galeras, Samana, has also promoted similar activities.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
What would be great is to get the young people involved in such a project (school children,) perhaps it would help instill a level of pride in them towards their environment.

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
Beach Clean Up

My husband and I own property next to Playa Chiquita and we have the gardner pick up garbage from the beach every day. He's a young guy who lives in Cheramico (sp?) and he told us that they have a group from Cheramico who clean the beach every week but others who live there throw their garbage out faster that it can be cleaned. I agree with the other posters that the only way to beat this is a government campaign promoting "national pride".

I'm sure everyone will answer with comments on how useless a national campaign would be but, "they" said the same in the 80's about drinking and driving in Britain and now (with a HUGE government campaign) I've found that Brits are far more adverse to DnD than most North Americans, which was certainly not the case 20 years ago.

JMHO

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
Beach Clean Up

My husband and I own property next to Playa Chiquita and we have the gardner pick up garbage from the beach every day. He's a young guy who lives in Cheramico (sp?) and he told us that they have a group from Cheramico who clean the beach every week but others who live there throw their garbage out faster that it can be cleaned. I agree with the other posters that the only way to beat this is a government campaign promoting "national pride".

I'm sure everyone will answer with comments on how useless a national campaign would be but, "they" said the same in the 80's about drinking and driving in Britain and now (with a HUGE government campaign) I've found that Brits are far more adverse to DnD than most North Americans, which was certainly not the case 20 years ago. JMHO

Joanne