History Lesson

arcangel

Aug 3, 2005
Maybe somebody can help me. I am a United States citizen: however I was born in DR. According to my understanding Haiti was one of the first American nations to gain its independence, at some point it was sovereign in the entire island. What caused the creation of the Dominican Republic in the sense of political ideology or Dominican nationalism? What does the word Dominican means? Which international forces influenced in the struggle and at what price?

It may not be important today, despues de palo dao ni Dios lo quita, but it will help my further understanding of the history of my people.

observer keen

Oct 4, 2005
DR had almost become an official american territory in the twentieth century( although some have argued that it is a defacto american territory), but the americans had decided not to proceed with the plan; for the frequent incursions of "piquets"( haitian mercenaries that were instrumental in the haitian civil wars) in DR had worried about the future of DR. In other words, these unfortunate incursions had incidentally preserved your independence, at least on paper.
it is worth noting that both Haiti and DR are only independent on paper. they are both de facto territories!

arcangel

Aug 3, 2005
So the forefront on this battle for a new Civilization, is in the European Countries, and the United States. I like to quote Ghandi when asked for his opinion on Western Civilization, he said "I think it will be a good idea"

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
arcangel said:
Maybe somebody can help me. I am a United States citizen: however I was born in DR. According to my understanding Haiti was one of the first American nations to gain its independence, at some point it was sovereign in the entire island. What caused the creation of the Dominican Republic in the sense of political ideology or Dominican nationalism? What does the word Dominican means? Which international forces influenced in the struggle and at what price?

It may not be important today, despues de palo dao ni Dios lo quita, but it will help my further understanding of the history of my people.

What the word Dominican means.?

The word Dominican is comes from the Italian/Latin version of Dominic, what we know as Domingo. Hence I belive that during the time of Christopher Columbus there was a monastary in spain where the Dominicans Monks lived. AKA the Saint Dominican Monks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Haiti

Not 100% accurate but here goes

1804 Hait? secured its independence from France after defeaing the 50,000 man army Napoleon sent over to re-establish slavery and renew sugar shipments to France. (Very condensed version)

In fact Spain ceded the eastern part of the island of Hispanola to France, maybe in 1797?). And Toulouse Letrect (sp?)-too tired to look it up_ came to Santo Domingo to take it over. Because of the French Revolution and problems in Haiti, he returned to Port-au-Prince.

There was an "Ephermeral" independence in 1809, but it didn't last. Spain got back control--sort of.

The Napoleonic Wars ended, Spain was seak and in 1821-22, N??ez de C?ceres proclaimed independence from Spain. This ended when Haiti invaded the North and South and effectively took over the island.

The Dominican Republic was born in 1844 under the guidence of Juan Pablo Duarte, and his secret group, called the Trinitarios. This group, basically a product of the Illustration and the ideals of Romanticism favored indepencdence. Once obtained after several Haitian attempts to retake the eastern portion, the nation became divided into three groups: Those that favored close ties with Spain, those that wanted close ties with France and those that were independents.

The word Dominican comes fromthe capitol city of Santo Domingo de Guzm?n, the sait that founded the order of the Dominican monks....leaders of the Inquisiton----At least that is sort of what I can remember,...

HB :D:D:D

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
HB...I was thinking you should include in your Bed and Breakfast package a free sit down history lesson with HB. I love listening to you tell history stories. That would be worth the cost of the room many times over.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Hillbilly said:
Not 100% accurate but here goes

1804 Hait? secured its independence from France after defeaing the 50,000 man army Napoleon sent over to re-establish slavery and renew sugar shipments to France. (Very condensed version)

In fact Spain ceded the eastern part of the island of Hispanola to France, maybe in 1797?). And Toulouse Letrect (sp?)-too tired to look it up_ came to Santo Domingo to take it over. Because of the French Revolution and problems in Haiti, he returned to Port-au-Prince.

There was an "Ephermeral" independence in 1809, but it didn't last. Spain got back control--sort of.

The Napoleonic Wars ended, Spain was seak and in 1821-22, N??ez de C?ceres proclaimed independence from Spain. This ended when Haiti invaded the North and South and effectively took over the island.

The Dominican Republic was born in 1844 under the guidence of Juan Pablo Duarte, and his secret group, called the Trinitarios. This group, basically a product of the Illustration and the ideals of Romanticism favored indepencdence. Once obtained after several Haitian attempts to retake the eastern portion, the nation became divided into three groups: Those that favored close ties with Spain, those that wanted close ties with France and those that were independents.

The word Dominican comes fromthe capitol city of Santo Domingo de Guzm?n, the sait that founded the order of the Dominican monks....leaders of the Inquisiton----At least that is sort of what I can remember,...

HB :D:D:D

Good stuff, Luis. I especially appreciate the "condensed version".

What is the short version of why Pedro Santana (I think it was him) gave the DR back to Spain for a short period? Was it out of necessity or for his own benefit?

Scandall

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Nyeden said:
What the word Dominican means.?

The word Dominican is comes from the Italian/Latin version of Dominic, what we know as Domingo. Hence I belive that during the time of Christopher Columbus there was a monastary in spain where the Dominicans Monks lived. AKA the Saint Dominican Monks.

Also, Santo Domingo de Guzmán was the founder of the
Dominic order. Called also Dominicos. The name of the city is from here too.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A rather absurd post there Eddyx. How can you possible say that Santo Domingo de Guzmán founded the Franciscans when every school boy out of parochial school knows that St. Francis of Assisi founded the "Franciscans!!"

In English so you know: Saint Dominic, (1170? - 1221) Castillian churchman, named Domingo de Guzmán, founder of the DOMINICANS He studied in Palencia and became a canon and then the prior of canons at the cathedral of Osuna. He and his bishop went to Rome to ask the Pope, Innocent III, for permission to evangelize the Tatars. Instead, Innocent sent them to the south of France to preach to the Albigenses. Adopting absolute poverty (something the Albigenses approved of) the pair wandered about Languedoc and were the first Catholic clerics to have any success there. St. Dominic started a community of women converts in Prouille in 1206. In 1216 he was given a house and a church in Toulouse for his band of preachers, then numbering 16. He went to Rome and received from Honorius III approval for his new little order. The order, with its novel vocation of studying and preaching, grew phenomenally. An ancient tradition, often pictured, shows St. Dominic receiving a rosary from the Virgin Mary in a vision. (This was the Middle Ages and teocentrism and its belief in revelations was quite strong). It is also told that Saints Dominic and Francis met in Rome and were friends. Franciscans and Dominicans have frequently been associated, if not always friendly. and to this day each order always pays homage to the founder of the other order. You might want to read "In the Name of the Rose" or see the movie, with Sean Connery......:D:D:D

HB :p

Last edited:

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
When the haitians ivaded us in 1822, they tried to erase our hispanic culture and closed all schools and the univiersity. That's the worst period of our history. They also killed a lot of dominicans. The population of this part of the island was in that time about 60,000. In 1844 was less than 50,000. Juan Pablo Duarte was sent to study to Spain because his father was a rich Spanish trader. He came from Europe with the idea to liberate us and founded the Secret Society called La Trinitaria.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Eddyx said:
When the haitians ivaded us in 1822, they tried to erase our hispanic culture and closed all schools and the univiersity. That's the worst period of our history. They also killed a lot of dominicans. The population of this part of the island was in that time about 60,000. In 1844 was less than 50,000. Juan Pablo Duarte was sent to study to Spain because his father was a rich Spanish trader. He came from Europe with the idea to liberate us and founded the Secret Society called La Trinitaria.
They were also against European religions, with the DR case, catholicism.

In fact, there are historical documents reporting the whipping of a priest by Haitian soldiers in front of his church's portals and the forcing of two priest to walk from Santiago to Port-au-Prince with the soldiers abusing and maltreating them.

Additionally, several churches were destroyed and the construction peaces used to build more utilitarian structures. This heavily sealed the attitudes of the Catholic church towards the Haitians and it also caused the Catholic church to be highly influential in the creation of the Dominican Republic. In fact, religion and the Dominican Republic is apparent even in the naming of the three founding fathers as the Trinitaria (trinity as in the Holy Trinity) among other examples.

The more anyone studies the Dominican Republic, its creation, and how it came to be, the more clearly it becomes that the Dominican Republic was and still is a place highly inclined to influences of the Catholic Church, today to a certain extent.

-NAL

BTW, I have a document on PDF file that documents the effect of the Haitian invasion and the Catholic Church's oppression by the Haitians towards the creation of the Dominican Republic. Anyone who is interested in reading this, simply PM me with an email address (create one on Yahoo.com if you don't want to reveal your permanent email address) and I will be more than willing to email the document as an attachment.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Hillbilly's short version IMO appears to be the neutral and precise...The others in my opinion are dominican versions which hyperbole the haitian occupation.

Nal:BTW, I have a document on PDF file that documents the effect of the Haitian invasion and the Catholic Church's oppression by the Haitians towards the creation of the Dominican Republic. Anyone who is interested in reading this, simply PM me with an email address (create one on Yahoo.com if you don't want to reveal your permanent email address) and I will be more than willing to email the document as an attachment

This can NOT be true because the Catholic Church had its doctrine embedded in the minds of Haitian population. It was illegal to practice vaudou and one would face serious charges.. Again this document most likely is the dominican version(bias) in order to promote dominican nationalism and distance herself from sister nation. The movement of dominicanidad(identity). If one really sits down and decipher the two nation we can see both countries hyperbole ideology.. Again, the dominican identity & ideology had to distinguish itself from haiti..basically promoting the opposite. Both countries exagerated the ideology for their own personal gain.

Eddyx: That's the worst period of our history

Why would that be the worst time of your(dominican history). This proves my point why the dominican ideology portrayed the haitian occupation in a negative manner..I guess the spanish conquistadores was the climax of dominican history?...hmmm???? Ponder on that one a little...

IMO, I've always believed both haitians & dominicans should know both stories(the bad, the good & the ugly)...basically how can one speak of dominican history without knowing haitian history..dominican history didn't start after 1844?..Or did it?...What where you called b4 1844?Warning: This question my cause many dominicans to question their identity..Please take a deep breath...

Nals: In fact, there are historical documents reporting the whipping of a priest by Haitian soldiers in front of his church's portals and the forcing of two priest to walk from Santiago to Port-au-Prince with the soldiers abusing and maltreating them.

Historical documents..Where??? This is nothing but dominican folklore...just as the boogyman that was considered to be haitian..

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
I have always understood that the City was named "Santo Domingo" (Holy Sunday) by Columbus because it was founded on a Sunday. Were it named after the saint, wouldn't it be called "San Domingo"?

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
I have always understood that the City was named "Santo Domingo" (Holy Sunday) by Columbus because it was founded on a Sunday. Were it named after the saint, wouldn't it be called "San Domingo"?

Domingo Santo is Holy sunday not the other way around.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Quisqueya said:
Hillbilly's short version IMO appears to be the neutral and precise...The others in my opinion are dominican versions which hyperbole the haitian occupation.

This can NOT be true because the Catholic Church had its doctrine embedded in the minds of Haitian population. It was illegal to practice vaudou and one would face serious charges.. Again this document most likely is the dominican version(bias) in order to promote dominican nationalism and distance herself from sister nation. The movement of dominicanidad(identity). If one really sits down and decipher the two nation we can see both countries hyperbole ideology.. Again, the dominican identity & ideology had to distinguish itself from haiti..basically promoting the opposite. Both countries exagerated the ideology for their own personal gain.

Why would that be the worst time of your(dominican history). This proves my point why the dominican ideology portrayed the haitian occupation in a negative manner..I guess the spanish conquistadores was the climax of dominican history?...hmmm???? Ponder on that one a little...

IMO, I've always believed both haitians & dominicans should know both stories(the bad, the good & the ugly)...basically how can one speak of dominican history without knowing haitian history..dominican history didn't start after 1844?..Or did it?...What where you called b4 1844?Warning: This question my cause many dominicans to question their identity..Please take a deep breath...

Historical documents..Where??? This is nothing but dominican folklore...just as the boogyman that was considered to be haitian..
Well then,

explain to me why the document I got is found at Rutgers University in the Latin American Research Review, Volume 30, No. 1 (1995), 69-93?

Explain to me that one bit of factual information about these documents you are commenting on (in attempt of protecting your pro-Haitian stand) while not even asking for me to send them to you in order for you to properly judge the documents yourself, as plenty of DR1ers have already done?

I must say that your last post quoted above is highly contradictory towards the documents you have not even seen and shows a perhaps paranoid side of you I, and certainly other DR1ers probably never had taken into account about you and the issue of Dominican history bothering you whenever certain Haitian acts are revealed, as contradictory as they may be to perhaps, your agenda.

For goodness sakes, the documents are even in English!

-NAL

Last edited:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Nals,

I never ever heard of such a thing happening..Well, I would like to read this and most of all so who wrote this...I will look into this..

Besides, I am not trying to sugarcoat history..If it happend will what can I do about it..Regardless, we know that history of hispaniola was not peach n roses...

Why do you still believe I have an agenda? Regardless, the acts commited by the French,Spanish etc. is far worse..

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
How about 'Haiti1.com'?

Quisqueya sure likes to participate in this Dominican forum to denigrate Dominicans, misrepresent history, etc., to further his desperate nation's interests.

Quisqueya, how about you starting up 'Haiti1.com" so you and your compatriots can do your thing there and leave Dominicans alone!

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Frank A.

How am I degrading dominicans? I am simply dismantling the bias points made regarding history..

Why do you want me to leave this forum so badly? you know what don't even answer that. Have a nice day..