flights to POP from NYC advice please..

blondytomato

Oct 19, 2005
Hola
I am English however next week i will be going to NYC for a few days after my trip to NYC i would like to go to POP for a few days. Can anyone advise me on what airport i need to go from, i would like to leave from JFK but dont know if this is possible any advice greatly appreciated
Gracia xxxxxxx

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
American Airlines flies JFK-POP. This is the busy season, you better book ahead. Especially if you want to pay a reasonable fare.

blondytomato

Oct 19, 2005
Also i have just looked at American Airlines website ,the flights coming up for the day i want to go all go via Rio San Juan and Miami do you recommend this ???

blondytomato said:
Hola
I am English however next week i will be going to NYC for a few days after my trip to NYC i would like to go to POP for a few days. Can anyone advise me on what airport i need to go from, i would like to leave from JFK but dont know if this is possible any advice greatly appreciated
Gracia xxxxxxx

You will save money and save time if you fly into Santiago (STI) instead of Puerto plata (POP) from NYC. POP only gets 2 direct flights a week from NYC but STI gets 4 daily non stops.

blondytomato

Oct 19, 2005
Okay,dont mean to sound stupid but is that JFK - STI . How many airports do you guys have in NYC im confused.

blondytomato

Oct 19, 2005
Right think i understand now just checked out the website thanks Badpiece your right STI is less complex.

Jan 5, 2006
Yes, that's JFK (New York) - STI (Santiago). The flights that you saw have a stop in either Miami or San Juan, Puerto Rico. I advice against stopping in San Juan, as the connecting service is American Eagle, and their old and noisy propeller planes.

We have 3 airports in the NYC area. JFK, LGA and EWR, which is actually New Jersey, but within 15 minutes of the city.

blondytomato

Oct 19, 2005
Thankyou very much you have all been a great help, im thinking STI it is for me. Sorry for being stupid on the whole airport location thing but i guess you dont know unless you ask .

Sep 19, 2005
another thing about flights that connect in San Juan..is the duration of the trip is like 21-26 hours!!!!!!!!! that makes for a lot of wasted vacation time, if you ask me. Especially coming and going. Plus you are dead and dogged when you arrive at each place.....is that worth $100, $200????? not to me!!!!!!

What is a single vacations day pay worth, alone?.... then you are gonna throw it away to save some money?( IF YOU EVEN SAVE MONEY!!!) taking that PR flight.

with the trip to POP from STI only about an hour( for me now days) by rented car.....Id never fly into either airport VIA PR......Id just drive from one town to the other......bob

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Actually laurapasinifan.....SOME flights that connect in San Juan are faster than sitting on your duff for 5-6 hrs in MIA.
Depends on what flights you take...where you're coming from and where you're going to.

Sep 19, 2005
mom....to tell you the truth I have never seen one!!! in any of the flight checks I have made....actually I think they have a 12 hour layover on some of the san juan flights!!!!!!!!!!! the flights that go through miami are never less than 6 hour trips . best i can tell. and I dont think I have seen any longer than maybe 12 hours through miami.....but I just check from JFK......I seldom if ever, check Laguardia or newark...because after all the time I went to check there.. they NEVER have anything decent........its always more money, or the flights are not even offered!.. or they are late at night........so i dont even bother anymore with those airports...unless i get real hard up

when AA wanted $1263 for my christmas holiday flight...i got hard up and checked every where....guess what

I bought the $1263 flight

not because i love spending money either!!!!!!

bob

Jan 5, 2006
Continental from EWR is not bad, if the schedule suits you. They leave EWR at around 9:00AM and the return flight from STI leaves at around 1:30PM. Their prices are usually not bad, and sometimes even cheaper than AA, and they usually run closer to their scheduled time. AA has gotten real bad at leaving on time; at least the last few times that I've been on their flights.

Sep 19, 2005
hipocrito:...what flight is that you describe?
is that a non stop flight?
is it offered every day?

thanks..bob

Sep 19, 2005
hipocrito...I just searched continental for the flight i am taking feb 16th

the flight leave ewr at 8:50
the return flight leaves sti at 2;35

the flight is non stop and the cost is ........$711.......kinda high dont ya think.....I just booked my AA flight last week...and it was under $400

bob

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
There is a continental flight from EWR - POP which leaves at 08:55 from EWR, arriving 13:50 in POP and on the return leaves POP at 15:05, arriving EWR at 18:09

This flight runs daily except for Wednesdays.

Not sure about their EWR-STI schedule

Daydream :classic:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
daydream said:
There is a continental flight from EWR - POP which leaves at 08:55 from EWR, arriving 13:50 in POP and on the return leaves POP at 15:05, arriving EWR at 18:09

This flight runs daily except for Wednesdays.
That depends on the time of year. During Christmas season the fly 7 days a week, now down to 6, in May it drops down to 3.

Not sure about their EWR-STI scheduleIt's about the same time as the POP flight. I believe it runs 7 days a week most of the year.

Jan 5, 2006
Continental flies daily to STI and SDQ all year. They also fly to POP and PUJ, but those schedules change according to the season. The flights to STI and SDQ always leave at around 9:00AM, and usually run close to schedule.

For those of us in the northern NJ/NY area, it is worth checking if the times are ok for you. Sometimes they are cheaper than AA, and most of the time the prices will run within $25 of each other.

I fly AA most of the time, because the schedule is more convenient for short stays due to the multiple flights offered by AA, which allow me to leave work and get to DR the same day, instead of leaving the next day in the AM. It gives me an extra night in DR to enjoy. ;)

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Also worth mentioning JetBlue flies JFK/STI. Flights are late at night but pricing is competitive.