Moving to Juan Dolio

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I'm taking the big leap and moving to the DR this weekend. I am looking forward to meeting MommC and any other DR1ers in the Juan Dolio area.

I will miss Toronto but I am looking forward to making new friends in the DR.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Why would you miss Toronto ?

I am in Toronto and I tell you, when we move this summer I won't miss nothing!!! Best of luck to you. ;)

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I am in Toronto and I tell you, when we move this summer I won't miss nothing!!! Best of luck to you. ;)

HAHAHA, I know what you mean, but I'll still miss my friends and probably my car...you know the creature comforts...

Where are you moving to?

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
What area???

We are coming back down shortly( just not soon enough for me :cry: ), and we have a few areas that we are deciding on. Our son will be going to the ISOS so we will have to be in that vicinity. As for missing friends, well hell they can come down to the DR,( all of ours are looking for a free vacation lol), and I could really care less if I did not have a car( unfortunately we will buy one), as I can walk, run, ride a bike or buy a horse and I think I would still not miss Canada lol. Really happy for you. :cheeky:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey nikke.....we leave on the 23rd so I'll pop in to Mara's in the PM on Monday to meet you.
Several others in the area so maybe we should set up a 'coffee klatch' at Casablanca for Tues. or Weds. to meet some of them.....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Got it!

Yep.....Mara told me you were coming a day early. Couldn't make it down there today (had 25 guests appear unexpectedly!!! %)) but I'll call in the morning,,,,,,,,,,

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
How do you like living in Juan Dolio? What do you like the most and what do you miss the most?

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Hi Lexi,

I've been here only 18 days exactly but I already have some definite answers:

Things I like the most:

1) My new friends

2) The fact that I now live near a real beach (anyone from Toronto knows what I mean). This was part of my dream...

3) Pico Pollo

4) Daily sunshine (so far)

5) The latest Merengue and Bachata

6) Presidente and the 'real' Brugal, not the watered down version you get in Toronto

7) People saying Good Morning and Good Afternoon when the get on the publico or when they pass me in the street.

8) I am more relaxed, less rushed here than I was in Canada

Things I miss:

1) My friends and family back home (but that can happen anywhere I go)

2) Whole grains (I'm by no means a healthy eater, nut, but after eating brown bread for years, I feel strange eating all this white flour)

3) My linens...where does the DR get its towels and sheets from?!?!

4) Sushi. I see that Naito's has a sushi menu in their window, but I haven't ordered any...

5) Someplace to take Spanish lessons. I haven't found anyplace where I can take any formal lessons yet. I'm learning more every day, but I'd like to study properly.

That's it for now. Ask me again in a few months, LOL.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Frog Bakery

... I feel strange eating all this white flour)

When in DR do like the frog does.

unserbrotrw5.jpg

m'frog

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Great advice

Ohhhh wow...nice bread...I'll check out the Cacique too.

Thanks!

Where can I find good cheese to eat with it?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Jumbo has a nice selection of imported cheeses including quite a few American ones (no good Canadian cheddar tho'!)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
nikke....there is a sushi restaurant opening soon inside Cafe Oasis (the pizza place). Ask Stephano next time you're down that way when exactly!!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Hi Nikke,

Looks like you are really enjoying yourself! As a fellow Canadian I am glad to hear it! I am thinking seriously about taking a year off and either travelling all over or renting an apartment in the DR for 6-12 months. Maybe a bit of both. That's why I wanted to know how you liked it!

I am coming there in a few weeks and will be having a good look as to whether I want to take the plunge or not! I can't wait to see the sunshine, it is pouring out here!!

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Hi Nikke,

You bought a new camera, send pictures!

Glad you're settling in. The weather here is picking up, sunshine for the next 5 days 16-18 degrees (no comparison to where you're at).

Hope all is well and keep posting.

Audra

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I'm glad I came

Hi Nikke,

Looks like you are really enjoying yourself! As a fellow Canadian I am glad to hear it! I am thinking seriously about taking a year off and either travelling all over or renting an apartment in the DR for 6-12 months. Maybe a bit of both. That's why I wanted to know how you liked it!

I am coming there in a few weeks and will be having a good look as to whether I want to take the plunge or not! I can't wait to see the sunshine, it is pouring out here!!

Lexi,

I'm glad I came. It's something that had always been in the back of my mind for years and finally after some planning I decided just to do it...I'd rather try it out here than spend the rest of my life wondering what it would've been like.

Why not go for it?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
You're right! Life is too short to wonder! I am going to take a year off work, I just don't know whether I am going to rent a place in the DR for a while or just travel. I think I will know when I come down this time.

I'm glad you are enjoying it!