School Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
We have heard that school supplies (pencils, paper, etc) are needed for students in the DR. We are bringing some items along with us in November and would like to make contact with a school rep or teacher that could use them.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We have heard that school supplies (pencils, paper, etc) are needed for students in the DR. We are bringing some items along with us in November and would like to make contact with a school rep or teacher that could use them.
Sometimes, it may be preferable just to give them to the kids yourself, to ensure that they truly get to their final destination, free of charge.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
That was my first thought as I didn't want anyone to go selling the supplies. Your advice is good and we will likely do it that way. What else would be useful that we could bring? It would have to be small and fairly light. What about hygiene stuff - toothpaste, toothbrushes, that sort of thing?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That was my first thought as I didn't want anyone to go selling the supplies. Your advice is good and we will likely do it that way. What else would be useful that we could bring? It would have to be small and fairly light. What about hygiene stuff - toothpaste, toothbrushes, that sort of thing?
Everything and anything is good, if you're giving it to poor people.
If an item truly couldn't be used, which would be highly unusual, they could at least sell it and benefit from the cash.
There's a current thread with pix of some folks doing as you intend.
I'll try to find it and post the link.
Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Where are you coming from? I have always found toothbrushes to be half the price in the DR compared to the UK so if you are thinking of buying those it may be worth your while buying them when you get there.

If you have the space in your case I would take clothes - be it second hand or new, they will always be appreciated.

Enjoy your trip :)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where are you coming from? I have always found toothbrushes to be half the price in the DR compared to the UK so if you are thinking of buying those it may be worth your while buying them when you get there.

If you have the space in your case I would take clothes - be it second hand or new, they will always be appreciated.

Absolutely.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For the most part, I find the kids like clothing, caps, baseball mitts, toys, perfumes, stuffed animals. dolls, trinkets, games, etc.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007

We are Canadian. The toothbrushes would be donated by a dentist here. I have had a private message saying that we should buy items that we want to donate in the DR so that the sellers will benefit as well as the kids. Thanks for the pictures link - never been to the DR before so it is good to see.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
If you are interested in seeing/helping a school in the area pm me.
We have 70 students (up to grade 5).
There are also lots of other schools in the area and nearby as well.
I can let you know of some others if you wish.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Where are you staying?

Where are you staying and when will you be there so that someone can connect with you in the DR.? There are many schools and an orphanage to which you can donate and visit while in the DR. There is always a need for cough syrup, school supplies, teacher supplies, etc. You can buy supplies in the DR that are heavy like paper. No need to put extra weight in your bags.

Sep 19, 2005
each time I think about this, I keep getting reminded of the weight issue at the airport.

airlines like Jetblue now DO NOT allow extra weigth at all.. and AA charges for it.
'
If I am coming down for a week I seem to use both bags just for my stuff...andf that doesnt leave room for much for much else.

especially if you think that going into a school that has 100 kids(probably way more!!) you would need 200 penciles to give each one only 2 each..then a note pads!! 100 of them!! or 100 of anything else!!!! takes up a lot of space.

I am thinking it might be worse to bring stuff for 1/4 of the students than to bring nothing at all....the 3/4 that didnt get anythign, would think you are cheap!!!

am I close??

I am thinking it would be less of a head ache to just buy the stuff in the dr to donate....

is there a wholesale outlet than anyone knows of??

bob

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You can always donate school supplies to Dream Project. It's located in Caberete and now has 3 schools running. Everything go directly to the children. My wife and I bring supplies all the time. I'll get their web site from my wife so you'll know their legit.

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Where are you staying and when will you be there so that someone can connect with you in the DR.? There are many schools and an orphanage to which you can donate and visit while in the DR. There is always a need for cough syrup, school supplies, teacher supplies, etc. You can buy supplies in the DR that are heavy like paper. No need to put extra weight in your bags.

Our hotel is in Cabarete and we are coming Nov. 8. Send me a PM with the contact information. We will just bring the lighter items with us and buy others while we are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.