help finding work

honeybunch

Aug 1, 2007
Hello

I am looking for a job preferrably in the puerto plata area, however cabarete, santiago and possibly santo domingo is an option as well.

My educational background is that i am a liscensed early childhood educator in canada. i teach children aged 0 - 12 in preschool and daycare centers (it is not a teaching degree but an early chilldhood education certificate). i am also finishing my special needs education certificate to work with children with dissablitlies. Currently i am a consultant. i help families and child care centers support children with dissabilities whether it be connecting them to resources or including them into the classroom.

I dont speak spanish, im fluent in english and know some italian. I have great customer service expereince as well as computer skills. I dont necessarily need to find work with children that is just my eduational background. I am looking for employment that offers a salary that i will be able to survive with rent, food etc. Call centers, teaching english, tour reps???

Can anyone help me out? i dont know where to start. my resume is in english, does that matter that its not in spanish?

any contact numbers, information, would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much to anyone who can and is willing to help me on my journey in finding work in the DR.
I haVe been in contact with a tour rep in puerto plata and have given her my resume and gotten some contact numbers as a start, but need to explore all options.

I do not live in the DR, but would like to move there given that i can find employment and a decent apartment.

honeybunch

Aug 1, 2007
my boyfriend already has a job and will have no problem finding another job if i decide to move over there. AND we will be SHARING the cost of living. but i would like a place that if needed, i could survive on my own should things not work out.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A few questions if I may ...........
How old are you? (this would help people judge type of possible suitable employment)
How often have you visited the DR? Where & when?
What level of salary had you considered essential to allow you to live comfortably?
What do you consider to be a 'Decent' apartment?
What line of business is your boyfriend in that he can easily get another job in Santiago or Santo Domingo?
Are you busily studying Spanish at the moment or will you be waiting until someone offers you a position down here?

Might I suggest you duck if any of your answers to the above don't meet the criterior deemed necessary by some of the more regular posters here!! Hope you have a tough skin! ~ Grahame.

honeybunch

Aug 1, 2007
bushbaby
i am 25. i haev vistied the DR three times,,,,,twice in punta cana and once in puerto plata (cabarete, sosua) was there in may, july and november.

i dont know what level of salary to consider to live comfortably because i dont know how much i will need over there to live comfortably
a decent apartment is one in a good area, furnished somewhat, the basics. if its small thats alright.
my boyfriend works at the resorts and can work at any hotel.
i am not learing spanish at the moment as i am finishing my education currently. but would like and do plan on learning spanish.

i am looking for work there possibly in march or april as that is when my school will finish and i will be able go. most of my experience is working with children and families with dissabilities and i also have experience with customer service. computer skills as well. im open to any job that like i said combined with another income, is living comfortably.

thanks to anyone who can help. i will send you my CV.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Honeybunch, please have a look at the threads in the living forum and the employment forum. It is full of valuable information.

Please cut this girl some slack. She is trying to follow some well intended advice provided on another thread which suggested that she move to the DR to get to know her DDD before getting married and having him immigrate to Canada.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
There are better paying jobs for customer care agents in SPM's Zona Franca. If you are a Native English Speaker--no Spanish Required--PM me and I'll give you info. These are not sales positions, but in-bound calls for US companies. Some computer skills are necessary but most importantly, people skills are valued.