La Isabela site & Luperon budget accommodation

Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakker

Dec 1, 2007
Hello all

Has anyone visite La Isabela site near Luperon? Wonder if it's possible to vist from Sosua, or better to be based in LUperon. If so, can anyone recommend basic but clean guest house (USD20-40 range there?

THanks in advance

amtrakker

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
There is a small room for rent across the street from the El Pariso Aparta-Hotel. It's above the gift shop, and it's small, but nice.Nothing fancy, but a room with a bathroom, bed, little table, TV...dresser..etc. You can ask the guy working in the gift shop.

I have been to La Isabela, there is the Christopher Columbus site, and the first church built. It's a nice little tour. The "security" in front of the Christopher Columbus site gave us a little tour. He didn't ask for any money for it, (we did pay him though) he was a very sweet and knowledgable older gentleman.

Let me know if you have more questions.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Doable in a day.....from POP!

Not sure about Sosua but we stayed in Luperon and did trips into POP and to La Isabella.
That was many years ago and I'm sure it's much easier today as the roads are way better than they were.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We went to the site, and church, and had a driver. We also were able to purchase a few wood carvings from some artesans who had little studio/shops on the property.
We definitely did it in a day including a trip to the Brugal plant, the fortress, a stop for lunch at a "local" restaurant, a stop for a beer and to chat with our driver who was very knowlegeable about Sosua.
We paid him about $100 American Dollars, and paid for his lunch and beer.
His name was Bennie and we stayed at Sofie's B&B. Unfortunately, the owner passed a while back, and so I don't know how to get a hold of Bennie.
Have fun.
mkohn

amtrakker

Dec 1, 2007
Thanks all

USD100 is a bit out of my price range for a day trip, assume there are gua guas that go to La Isabela from Luperon, will check out the gift shop room, thanks again.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
A day trip from Sosua is totally possible..but let me know if u need further info...

I haven't been for awhile but the room I'm talking about is under $40 US a night for sure...it's been awhile..but I think it would be closer to the $25US mark.

Luperon is a very small place..but can be interesting for a day visit.

For regular meals the restaurant at the corner restaurant of the town...(the main intersection) called Letty's restaurant has great food at great prices really nice service, amazing food for the prices.

If you want the most "gourmet" type food you can get in the area..there is a European trained chef just down the street. She has a restaurant upstairs called "Gina's".

Ask anyone and they will know, although the town is so small you can't not find it...lol. Prices will be more there than local areas..but you will get a great selection and amazing quality for such a small town. She has food on her menu that you could find in NA or Europe but cheaper.

If you want a tour to La Isabela you can find someone from Luperon to take you there for WAY cheaper than $100 US.

There is no bus from Luperon to La Isabela. (Unless they've come up with a new route since I was there.)
You will have to either already have a rented car or pay a "taxi" or motorcycle to take you there.

$100RD pesos is more than enough to get you there by motorcycle (for 1 person).

Just talk to the locals and you will have no problem to get there, for WAY under $100 US...

If you want to find a local to take you there go to the restaurant Letty's..or the local codetel area (just down the street before Gina's resturant...) I'm sure you will easily find someone who will take you for a few pesos....

amtrakker

Dec 1, 2007
Hi all

Just some update on the trip I did today from PP to La Isabela. Caught 8a.m. bus with Javilla Tours (35FDOM) for 20 min ride to Imbert, then 5 mins later caught gua gua to Luperon (45 mins, 45DOM), from where it was a 20 min motociclo ride (100DOM) to La Isabela. Spent a couple of hours at the site and its museums, lovely spot and vista, before walking 10 mins to Church of the Americas for another beautiful view of the bay. Then headed just out of town to El Castillo del Pirata, run by friendly French couple Georges and Michele 1 809 235 6652, have built a restaurant with 4 rooms (1400DOM a night for a couple with breakfast, or 1000DOM without), great place for lunch.

Arranged with motociclo driver to pick me up for return trip to Luperon, and from there, caught public taxis (same prices as getting there) back to Puerto Plata by 2. A great half day trip, and very easy to do with basic Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.