Any one know of a $300.00 USD wedding tax in Dominican Republic?

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
We have relatives headed this way this summer to get married at a local resort on the north coast. The travel agent is charging an additional fee of $300.00 USD and says it is a new law and the entire amount goes to the government. Any one know of this new law?

thanks

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Haven?t heard of that, and I would be skeptical. I do know that the person performing the marriage, the city constaple or judge, charged some fees in a wedding that some friends had awhile back, but they paid that to him in his office. How a travel agent is going to charge for a fee normally charged by the justice of the peace is beyond me.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Check this carefully - it might be accurate. There was a report in the DR1 news in the last year or so about a plan to increase these charges for foreigners getting married in the DR, which was met by criticism from the wedding tourism sector for obvious reasons.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
When my friends got married, they went to the local justice and he had them sign some offcial documents regarding their not being currently married to another person, and the marriage license, and there were some fees involved, but they were pretty minimal. Then he appeared at the weding and gave them their vows. The fees, however much they were, were paid directly to him in his office, the same office that processed the paperwork and gave the couple their license, etc. If someone wished to get married in the D.R., either to another foreigner or to a Dominican, they certainly don?t need to declare that to a travel agent, much less pay a travel agent a fee. Thissmells funny. Maybe next the justice of the peace will be booking flights for people while he puts them under oath...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have gotten married just recently (albeit as a resident, i.e. with dominican price) - charge for marriage of extranjeros outside oficina de estado civil is 8.000 pesos. not a word about any tax.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I remember this also........

Check this carefully - it might be accurate. There was a report in the DR1 news in the last year or so about a plan to increase these charges for foreigners getting married in the DR, which was met by criticism from the wedding tourism sector for obvious reasons.

Might be worth a post to Fabio in the legal forum......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
i have gotten married just recently (albeit as a resident, i.e. with dominican price) - charge for marriage of extranjeros outside oficina de estado civil is 8.000 pesos. not a word about any tax.
The report I recall had different categories depending on nationality/status, and yours would be among the least expensive, seeing as you're a resident and miesposo (as he surely is to be known from now on) is Dominican.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Wedding Business

... I do know that the person performing the marriage, the city constaple or judge, charged some fees in a wedding that some friends had awhile back, but they paid that to him in his office.

It may also be that they don't have time or staff:
Rechazan solicitudes de bodas por falta de oficiales civiles - DiarioLibre.com

About the fees:
I remember that early last year the JCE-fees were raised considerably:
Wedding Ceremony outside Government Office for two foreigners: 15,000 RD$
ditto, only one being a foreigner...............................................8,000 RD$

These, of course, are only the registry office fees and do not include any wedding expenses in a hotel...

m'frog

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ach, yes, you are right - the price i quoted (8.0000) was for one extranjero. oficina de estado de civil has a full list of prices - one just needs to ask.
i said no tax mentioned because indeed on the list of prices there was no word of any impuestos...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It may also be that they don't have time or staff:
Rechazan solicitudes de bodas por falta de oficiales civiles - DiarioLibre.com

About the fees:
I remember that early last year the JCE-fees were raised considerably:
Wedding Ceremony outside Government Office for two foreigners: 15,000 RD$
ditto, only one being a foreigner...............................................8,000 RD$

These, of course, are only the registry office fees and do not include any wedding expenses in a hotel...

m'frog
BINGO - that's it - and RD$15,000 is quite a bit more than US$300!

Jan 5, 2006

This figure is accurate. A Dominican female friend married a foreigner today in La Vega and the charge was 8k DR Pesos.