How to handle certain situations...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was going to add this to the "Levels of deception..." thread but I didn't want to hijack it(even though I'm the OP) and take it off course.

In lieu of certain situations that are confusing, I think that some newbies would appreciate answers to these questions-

1) If I am in a disco, bar or beach and I strike up a conversation with a young lady, is it appropriate to ask if she is a prostitute if she seems interested in spending more time with me during my stay?

The reason I ask is because of a common scenario that plays out where a tourist meets a chica, spends time with him giving him a real "girlfriend" experience only to be hit with a "factura" at the end of the vacation and the whole time the tourist in question had no idea she was charging him and never gave him an inkling that this is why she wanted to be with him.

2) If I plan to hang at the beach or the colmado with a friend and he decides he wants to bring some of his friends, is it appropriate to ask if they will be paying for their own food and drinks? Or is it automatically assumed that "el gringo" will pick up the tab? How can this be handled if one doesn't feel comfortable with the arrangement of having to pay for everything?

Part of the MO of hustlers or people looking to take advantage is they act like your friends but are not. And the deception lies in having to pay for something after the fact as opposed to everyone laying their cards out on the table before any commitments are made. THEY automatically assume that you are supposed to pay for this and that, but you are kept in the dark until the very end.

So the point is trying to avoid this and how.

A

apostropheman

I would think that if there was no discussion of price you could be safe in assuming that a, relatively, small regalo/propina discretely offered, and masked as "for the salon" or "to buy milk for your daughter" would suffice (regular chicas need dinero tambien :D)...but I'll leave it to those more experienced to answer your chica scenario.
:cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Your part 2 has always been simple from my perspective.

Handle it two ways:

1. Never allow yourself to be put into this kind of an awkward situation. That is, be careful about who you hangout with.

2. When in doubt; tell the waitress, bartender, whomever, something to the effect of "cuentas separadas por favor". Then there is no room for confusion....and watch the freeloader wannabes scramble! :cheeky: (defeat them at their own game before the play even begins)

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I cannot address #1.
RE: Number 2: Tell your "friend" sure, if they [ay for their beer....Just like the above poster said1!! Screw ?m....

HB

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Well, what if they have fake credit cards, no credit cards or no money on their credit cards and you only find out about it afterwards. :confused: From what I hear about experiences abroad - the merchant is going to charge whatever credit card is valid and then you have to deal with a case of fraud to remove the charges which is time consuming and unpleasant :ermm:

I guess, the best solution is - don't hang out or trust people you don't know for at least a year or so, that is all.

A

apostropheman

Let me clarify; as the initial orders are being taken tell the waitress to make separate bills. Then everyone will either agree or scurry away. :D

While walking along the beach in Boca Chica on a very hot day we had a couple of hangers on, touts, whatever they were, trying to get us to stop in for a drink. We were thirsty so we sat down at a table and were quickly joined them...uninvited. My friend and I ordered beer and so did the they. Just as the waitress was about to leave I told her we needed separate bills. Our uninvited guests were gone so fast all you saw was a cloud of sand! :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
Well, what if they have fake credit cards, no credit cards or no money on their credit cards and you only find out about it afterwards. :confused: From what I hear about experiences abroad - the merchant is going to charge whatever credit card is valid and then you have to deal with a case of fraud to remove the charges which is time consuming and unpleasant :ermm:

I guess, the best solution is - don't hang out or trust people you don't know for at least a year or so, that is all.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Well, I am sure this has happened to a few out there-like when you invite your novia out to the movies or whatever and she brings a friend.

I have read in past threads that they guy is automatically supposed to pay for the third person even if she was not invited. Would a dominican just shrug this off, make a scene, quietly refuse to pay or not say anything and go with the flow? Or would a dominicana not even dare do this to a dominican man?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
If you are in a bar - yes she is a puta - at least 98%. If she isn't and she is out to have a good time on her own, as in with friends and she is worth anything, the small 'propina' is just normal (I would think).

The invitation question and as in who is to pay - to somehow suggest that you are only going to pay for your own in a tactful way is best.

*What I have found is that once they know you can't be taken advantage of there is that moment of 'uh oh' and they may want to flee since they may have to pay themselves.
They may seem angry or upset or annoyed with you and say you are cheap but after the dust has settled you can actually fit in even more since you know what is going on.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
question #1--i never ask that question because there is always the possibility the dominican women you meet may be dominican tourists just visiting the DR to see family (i ran into a few women like that in sosua, they were from POP). in tourist areas i would assume a girl in a club maybe a working girl. in non-tourist areas i would assume an opportunist.
i don't do the rent-by-the-vacation scenario...
question #2---i usually buy one round and wait to see who's buying next. remember if you are buying you are in control of the situation not anyone else...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Re: Question #2

This is a good question that I have faced as a "gringo" and "non gringo situation". I think one should get it cleared up long before the check is presented at the table and you have a problem. Perhaps like this:

1) Friend says he is going invite 4 others to join you for drinks. You say something like--When did you hit the lottery to pay for those guys? Or, do you think they have any bux? Point being you insinuate early on your're not paying.
2) You say--well the drinks are more expensive there--think they can handle it? In fact, I'm a little low on cash tonite myself but I think I can do it.

On the other hand if YOU suggest inviting other people along that presents a different problem. I think there is a strong assumption you're paying.
john

1) If I am in a disco, bar or beach and I strike up a conversation with a young lady, is it appropriate to ask if she is a prostitute if she seems interested in spending more time with me during my stay?First of all never ask a girl if shes a prostitute 1 because it is rude and 2 because if you ask for a price you will get a high one. Better to just enjoy the time together and when the time comes to depart leave her some money for the salon and for her nails (Payment for services rendered) but at a much lower price. I always tell them I am looking for the right women and something stable, and the price of poker dwindles to almost nothing at all.

2) If I plan to hang at the beach or the colmado with a friend and he decides he wants to bring some of his friends, is it appropriate to ask if they will be paying for their own food and drinks? Or is it automatically assumed that "el gringo" will pick up the tab? How can this be handled if one doesn't feel comfortable with the arrangement of having to pay for everything?Stop being a$$holes and treat people as you would in your own country!!! Buy a round and I will buy you a round otherwise get lost. But if you are with a girl and she brings a friend(common practice) Don't be a cheap bastard and pay for both young ladies, Dominican men also do this so get used to it, common practice in DR.

tcinlo

Feb 1, 2008
The hustlers can be very cleaver with words. Once when I was young and inexperienced I was walking on the beach. A tout starts walking with me...mistake #1 was allowing him to do that. As we walk past a vendor, he asks, "Do you want a beer?" I say no. Then he says, "Do you mind if I have a beer?" I say go ahead.

He goes through this routine 2 more times before we get back to where I was sitting with friends. At that point I say see you later and he says, "You owe me $15." I ask what for and he says that I said I'd buy him 3 beers.

When you are with "friends" you know, you can establish at the get go that everyone is going to buy their own...and still at the end of the evening they will open their wallet and with shock and surprise announce that they don't have any money..."it must be in my other pants. I'll pay you back tomorrow." And tomorrow never comes.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I wouldn't begin to know how to handle question #1...

But for #2...this is what happened to us on our recent trip...and I think I taught my husband a little lesson...he flat out refused to do it...but I didn't care whether his friends thought I was cheap or not...I'm not a 'dumb gringa' that they can take advantage of...

"El Torito" was playing last Monday at some club in SDQ...by the time I found out about it, tickets were $1000 RD each...I wanted to go...so we made plans to go buy the tix...One of Tony's friend, (I love him to death. but I know when and how to say no) says:"Oh, when you go...let me know...I want to buy tix also...for me and my g/f"

When we told him how much the tix cost, he said..."Hmmm, maybe a little pricey for me...'cause then we would have to pay for the drinks also..."...

Since my hubby didn't want to say this...I did...I asked him how much money was he able to spend...and he said...$2000 RD...So, I said..."Ok, since you're our friend, we'll pay for your ticket...and you can pay for your g/f's and some drinks..."...

He agreed...and that's what happened...we bought 3 tickets...and paid for some drinks...and he paid for the rest...

I don't know for sure he wanted to take advantage of us, but I didn't wait to find out...

We both work very hard here for our money, and the guy makes pretty decent money over there...he owns his own house and a car...so he's not too bad off...he could afford to pay for his g/f if he wanted to bring her...

Same thing with 'hanging out with friends'...Tony buys one round...and waits till the rest of the men pay for another round, before he buys another one...

DO NOT let them take advantage of you....that's my motto...

MQ

Well, I am sure this has happened to a few out there-like when you invite your novia out to the movies or whatever and she brings a friend.

I have read in past threads that they guy is automatically supposed to pay for the third person even if she was not invited. Would a dominican just shrug this off, make a scene, quietly refuse to pay or not say anything and go with the flow? Or would a dominicana not even dare do this to a dominican man?

Dominican women will on occasion bring a friend or another female relative and it is expected the man will pick up the bill. This is not a major problem unless your dating a hustler who will order expensive drinks or the most expensive items on the menu. If they seem like hustlers order for them,tell them your drinkinig presidente and so are they and thats that. Stand up and be men take charge.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
:tired:
First of all never ask a girl if shes a prostitute 1 because it is rude and 2 because if you ask for a price you will get a high one. Better to just enjoy the time together and when the time comes to depart leave her some money for the salon and for her nails (Payment for services rendered) but at a much lower price. I always tell them I am looking for the right women and something stable, and the price of poker dwindles to almost nothing at all. [/COLOR][/B]

BTW: And you're proud of this scheme??

Your time will come and you fall in love and then BOOM the tables will be turned, what goes around comes around hahahahaha You've deceit many into your game but someday ..................ok i'll stop now.

but i agree with you Badpiece and a woman hears that a man is looking for something serious, right there and then she'll feel more at ease about going on with the encounter. :eek:gre:

:tired:

BTW: And you're proud of this scheme??

Your time will come and you fall in love and then BOOM the tables will be turned, what goes around comes around hahahahaha You've deceit many into your game but someday ..................ok i'll stop now.

but i agree with you Badpiece and a woman hears that a man is looking for something serious, right there and then she'll feel more at ease about going on with the encounter. :eek:gre:

I am not saying that you do this to any women you meet but if you come across a hustler in your travels and you would like to have a good time with that lady then why not turn the tables on her and get as much as you can and pay as little as you have to??? Why cant we be sankies from time to time???

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I am not saying that you do this to any women you meet but if you come across a hustler in your travels and you would like to have a good time with that lady then why not turn the tables on her and get as much as you can and pay as little as you have to??? Why cant we be sankies from time to time???

Badpiece, this is what some guys want and need to avoid. Being seen as the idiot with money to burn who doesn't care about who gets comped. Even if the amount is inconsequential.

I think the movie scenario is a perfect example. I see nothing wrong telling someone that it is rude to bring an uninvited guest and that you are not going to pay the other persons' way IF you don't want to. That is up to the individual.

Its' OK to be forceful not only with hustlers but with regular everyday dominicans.

Uninvited guests on dates is BS to me-and seeing as I'm not dominican I do not want to be treated like one.

And whats' wrong with saying "Hey, in MY country when a chica brings a friend along for a date it means one thing-a threesome!!!" YEAH!!!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When a legitimate Dominican girl first meets a man it is common in this country for her to bring a friend or relative along on the date. If you ask the girl to pay her own way you might at well just look for hustlers.

On the other hand, if a puta brings a girl along with her you can say what you want to them. Good or bad.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When a legitimate Dominican girl first meets a man it is common in this country for her to bring a friend or relative along on the date. If you ask the girl to pay her own way you might at well just look for hustlers.
Correcto....
A decent chica will almost always want a friend to come along on the first date, maybe even on several dates.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

On the other hand, if a puta brings a girl along with her you can say what you want to them. Good or bad.

You're missing the point. Its' about communication. Imagine this happening to a guy who doesn't know that this is standard protocol-and the fact that even if nothing more intimate was expected, another party coming along unexpectedly will stunt the quality of the conversation.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You're missing the point. Its' about communication. Imagine this happening to a guy who doesn't know that this is standard protocol-and the fact that even if nothing more intimate was expected, another party coming along unexpectedly will stunt the quality of the conversation.

So if the other girl paid it would be OK with you? I think you are in the wrong country pal.