How much cash?

Kicker

Feb 19, 2008
Ok, first time for me in the wife for a week out of the country, except ocean cruises. (they don't count):surprised
So we were wondering what would be a "safe" amount of cash, travelers checks, to have on hand. We are staying all inclusive so 90% or better of our costs should be taken care of and any excursions will go on a charge card, so except for a few tips and souvenirs, what should we need cash for? :confused:

Any help from you experienced travelers would be appreciated!

Thanks!

jasonn230

Jan 6, 2008
Im not exactly too expienced but id say if you took 500 cash and 500 trvellers cheque you should be good

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
For tips and trinkets i would say $400 tops. Unless you like tossing crazy tips around and buying overpriced cigars and t-shirts. Have not been to an AI in years but when i did go i usually tipped $5 when i forgot to get my name on the list for a seated dinner and $5 to the server. So that was $70. Gave each maid $10 on the 2nd day when i was sure they would be the every day cleaners. Now up to $90. Spent around $40 in the store there for stuff i forgot or needed ( expensive place ). Up to $130.

Had a car so the rest went to gas, drinks on Sosua beach 3 days and 3 lunches. Some t-shirts from beach vendors. For this pesos are suggested. Exchange rate is on average 33 to 1USD on the street and a bit more if you know where to look. As for the vendors, watch out. Most i pay now for a t-shirt is 240 pesos for a Presidente t-shirt or the equivalent of $7USD. Do not buy cigars anywhere unless they are in a humidor.

There are hundreds of posts on going to AI's and how to save a buck if you want to do the research. Remember, it is the job of almost anyone you meet ( tour operators, vendors, timeshare salesman, taxis, ect... ) to separate you from your money. I usually bring as much as i want to spend and hit an ATM if i over spend. Also paying for everything on a credit card can run up the cost with fees on certain cards. Currency conversion fees and others. Check with your credit card company so you know what the fees are ahead of time. Bring a backup credit card and inform the CC company that you will be using the card in the Dominican Republic for these specific dates only.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
I usually bring as much as i want to spend and hit an ATM if i over spend. . Bring a backup credit card and inform the CC company that you will be using the card in the Dominican Republic for these specific dates only.

Good idea but bring two ATM cards in case one gets "eaten" by the machine.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Have ATM and Credit card handy

We never take Travellers checks, cash, atm card and credit cards. From reading other posts, Travellers checks can sometimes be a hassle to cash.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
X-Nay on the ATM

Had a bad experience in Higuey I tried to take out 7000.00 DR pesos, the machine said it was out of cash, so we walked over to another one in a bank, and took some money out "No Problem", When i came home to Canada, that machine said it paid me out! and i was minus that approx $200, luckily i kept my slip it spit out saying the machine was out of cash, and was able to get some money back-took about a month for reimbursement and they deducted about $80 for tracking blah blah blah...Never taking my bank card again.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I take cash out all the time from ATMs no problems. But to make sure I hold on to all of my receipts, check my account online and if there is a problem, call my bank. FDIC, so I am insured and shouldn't be charge anything extra. But if you want to play it safe, travellers checks and other credit cards is the way to go.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
oops

Ha, it looks like i wrote we don't take anything. I meant we don't use travellers checks but everything else we do use.
Good advise with the atm receipts, i keep all my receipts too and check them against my bank account.

Kicker

Feb 19, 2008
Thanks for all the replies! We decided to go with cash and a couple of credit cards, no bank or ATM cards as it's a pain to get your money back if something happens. The credit cards charge a 2% service fee for money exchange, etc. I will think of it as a tax.
SO lots of small bills for tips, medium for someone that needs a really good tip, and slightly larger for purchases, I figure no more than $400. and we should be sitting pretty.

Heading down this weekend! :cool:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You'll want to take at least one excursion.....

depending on which part of the island you are on!!;)

For God's sake get out of the resort and explore!!!:bunny:

Figure around $200. for a day trip ANYWHERE.......usually include food and drinks in excursion price and of course a tip for those running the tour.

Stock up on a few bottles of relatively cheap rum also and if your wife bakes some vanilla also!

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Bring cash...in your sock--travelers checks are very foreign in a local colmado. fifty bucks will get you basically anything you would like, have fun and enjoy