Obama Inauguration Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
As luck would have it I will find myself in Santo Domingo on January 20, the day of Barack Obama's inauguration. This is shaping up to be a very big deal in the US, with parties being held all over the place. The crowd at The National Mall in Washington is supposed to be huge. There will be a inauguration train for two days prior with Obama and Biden going from New York to Washington with several stops along the way. I can't remember when I've seen this much hoopla for an inauguration. Maybe Kennedy, but I don't remember much about that one. My question is: are there any suggestions as to a place with a good quality large screen television to watch this event in Santo Domingo? Possibly in english? Some of my Dominican friends are also excited about the first "moreno" president but will not get time off of work to watch the swearing in. It should be happening around noon, followed by a parade to the capital building. My better instincts tell me not to get liquored up that early in the day, but who knows !

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Cane Restaurant on Abraham Lincoln I hear is planning one for its customers. Will check and let you know.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Cane Restaurant on Abraham Lincoln I hear is planning one for its customers. Will check and let you know.
Make sure you get an invite out to Chip. From close study of his posts in the 'USA Election Thread' he would be mortally offended if he could not attend! :cheeky::paranoid: ~ Grahame.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yes Let us make sure that we have lots of them!

I hope that there are lots and lots of them!! I know that I sure want to celebrate!! I have never been to this restaurant... BUT will be happy to join the other Yanks if that is where we are heading....

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bumper Sticker in Prairie du Sak, Wisconsin:
What do you call January 20, 2009?
>End of an error<
Have a great party.
mkohn

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
DR Holiday January 21

I just read in another post that the day after the inauguration, January 21, is a holiday in the DR (Day of the Virgin Altagracia). Does that mean that most Dominicans will have it off ? That may be a great excuse to stay out late and "carry on".

Mar 2, 2008
"some of us are in mourning.... and might do something we never do, GO GET DRUNK"

That just might be the excuse I've been searching for. I could use the inauguration as the excuse for Janurary 21, and then use the mourning the morning after.

Makes perfect sense.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It's official, the party's at Cane. They have lots of Obama shirts to give away for those attending. They will have the TV screens showing the inaugural for all to follow.
Yes, the 21st is a holiday, so it can be an all day party!

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Cane Restaurant

Thanks Dolores. Do you have an address and nearest corner for the Cane Restaurant? Something that a cabbie could follow.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Easy to find. It is Abraham Lincoln between Gustavo Mejia Ricart and John F. Kennedy. After Expreso Jade on the east side of the avenue.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Cane Restaurant

What kind of a restaurant is the Cane? Fancy? What type of food? Is it a restauant/lounge? I saw on DR1 that they had a Chrismas display of Nativity scenes made by local artists. It is the first time I have heard of it. Shame on me for spending too much time in the tourist areas like Zona Colonial and the Malecon.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Cane is located on Abraham Lincoln between Jose Amado Soler St. (the street on which PorterHouse is located) and John F. Kennedy -- closer to Jose Amado Soler. It is opposite of the Grupo Punta Cana office (on the other side of this four lane avenue). It is casually elegant, more informal than formal. Relaxed atmosphere. Food is good. They specialize in mojitos, mix of international and Latin/Caribbean food. It is on the east side of the avenue (right when going north from Jose Amado Soler).

Once I have more details, will post here.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My Obama Hat

I am walking down the street wearing my Obama cap which I got in DC over Christmas - and the group in front of me looks back and sees it and says "OBAMA" and then parts, and one of the guys says, in perfect English 'Are you American?" and I say, (with pride, for the first time in I don't know HOW many years but certainly, certainly the last 8) say YES, and he says,,, "GOD Bless you...."

I am still choked up....

when does the party start?

pass the mojito

jlo

Oct 29, 2007
Obama Inauguration Party at Cane Restaurant - Santo Domingo

Yes, there is an inauguration party at CANE RESTAURANT on Abraham Lincoln on Tuesday. The restaurant will show the ceremony live at 1 p.m. and also will show it again during a happy hour beginning at 4 p.m.

The happy hour will go from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and have drink and food specials. Obama T-shirts will be given away, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.