DR1.COM - New Stuff!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What would you like to see new on DR1.COM?

I'm not just talking about the message forums, I'm talking about the entire website.

What features, sections, functions etc would you like to see and use?

Thanks for any feedback you can give us :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the best of section doesnt really work, so I would get rid of that.

Is there an events page already ? I know no one ever promotes any events here, but you never know

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i like the best of section, but i think it should be split out more into santo doming, santiago. etc. i used it just hte other day to find a good place to eat.

the events section would be a big deal with accurate calendar downloading. maybe even put it in facebook (facebook.com/dr1) and send out all the events that way? expats aren't as connected in as dominicans so sometimes we miss key events.

i would even be willing to pay for a great events system with accurate info in english; others might be too.

outside of these i'd look at what is working in similar businesses in other countries eg china expats, brazil expats, etc.

May 8, 2009
It would be kind of cool to be able to upload a picture of yourself for your profile with the option of having a quote below. A mini picture with the quote would come up next to your name everytime you write a message.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
1) Maybe a specific section for the trade/sale of goods between expats/locals etc.
I mean the common items that we all search for at one time or another when moving to the country.
Its so difficult and costly to ship furnishings,electronics, vehicles etc. yet there must also be a turn over of people who have purchased such items and now need to sell prior to leaving.
This could even be in the same format as the real estate auction section on specific large items or package items like a furniture set or todo apartment set.
Whenever I have tried the search funtion to hunt down certain items its a very difficult lengthy process and your forever scrolling through unrelated opinions and dialogue. This section should be offerings and related questions only, no opinions or off topic chatter.

2) I think the country or specifically Santo Domingo needs a "blackout' section- would be very great info to have in advance of the decision making process of where to live or set up shop- how difficult and costly it is to exist in certain areas of the city.
Obviously some areas are more desireable than others based on this one element alone.I keep hearing how great Gazcue is for lack of blackouts-is it the only one?

3) more to come...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
more information in one place on each of the towns/resorts here. We keep having to reply with the same information re restaurants and hotels. The info on juan Dolio is 10 years out of date - hotels that are now a pile of rubble. It should include info on beaches, restaurants, facilities, internet cafes, transport, shops, as well as just hotels

matilda

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
the best of section doesnt really work, so I would get rid of that.

Is there an events page already ? I know no one ever promotes any events here, but you never know

DR1 - Calendar

For Santo Domingo we have an events section in the dr1guide, it's by far the most complete events directory of any website.

dr1guide - Events

We are working on making this more user friendly and emailed weekly.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
A sub-forum to talk everything non-DR related, per example in General Stuff there is the Honduras thread, but the OP had to made it DR related so it won't get closed although they haven't spoke anything related to the DR in the last 40 pages. Also I would've liked to know the opinion of DR1 poster on Juanes concert in Cuba but couldn't as it isn't DR related.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How about suggesting that the next Juanes concert is held on the DR-Haiti border?

I agree with many of the suggestions above: Exchange and Mart, a fuller listings section, updating a lot of the info...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
How about suggesting that the next Juanes concert is held on the DR-Haiti border?

I agree with many of the suggestions above: Exchange and Mart, a fuller listings section, updating a lot of the info...

I don't believe there is an war, or political discrepancies going on between those 2 states. For that to happen Juanes would first do a concert in the Mexico-USA border.

But that is not the OP of this thread. Go on.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ahh ...I never look at the main page lol

maybe the listings on the calendar need the nearest town in a different colour first so you know what region you are looking at

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ahh ...I never look at the main page lol

maybe the listings on the calendar need the nearest town in a different colour first so you know what region you are looking at

That will evolve as the dr1guide moves into other areas of the country.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Honest business

As someone planning on relocating to the DR next year I would love to see people post their good experiences with merchants and repairmen ect. It would be very helpful to know of an honest mechanic or computer repair shop, whatever, based on city or area of the country. Where to buy the best meat or cheapest beer. Many people want to charge "gringo" prices so an area to list honest and dependable business would be very helpful.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
As someone planning on relocating to the DR next year I would love to see people post their good experiences with merchants and repairmen ect. It would be very helpful to know of an honest mechanic or computer repair shop, whatever, based on city or area of the country. Where to buy the best meat or cheapest beer. Many people want to charge "gringo" prices so an area to list honest and dependable business would be very helpful.

Yes I second the value of this-would be great especially if organized in a manner where the different professions of these individuals would be easily found within the section.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
repairmen etc I think they tried- the sytem gets abused by people recommending themselves under another name