Computer Virus

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I have contracted a nastey virus in my Dell Laptop.

This one is very hard to remove as it keeps coming back and sucks all the power from your computer. Cannot even open a webpage.

I can see it in the startup section when I go into system configuration-I unclick and remove but after restarting computer it always returns.

Any computer experts out there have any advice or solutions.

The virus is called FATrayMon.

HELP!!!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Check and see if you have any programs by Sensible Vision running on your machine and uninstall these, then run a good malaware program to scan your machine.

Malwarebytes.org

Yes you are correct it is Sensible Vision- and coincidentally I am 55 mins into the malware scan you suggested so far has picked up nada.

When i remove the sensible vision within the system config screen(which is the only place i can find it) it always returns on startup.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Could try this, it might or might not help.

Go to registry (type regedit from command prompt) and search for the program name that runs at startup (search is Ctrl-F, I think). Just add a number or something to the name of the program wherever you find it in all the registry, key or otherwise.

IMPORTANT NOTE: messing around with Windows Registery could mean your computer might never even startup again - so be prepared to re-install everything if that happens !!? (if you know your way around Windows, you can backup the registry and restore it, may be look that up before you start.)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The malware antivirus program did remove the virus, but things are still moving slower than normal-hopefully gets better.

Thanks for all helpful advice!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The Mawarebytes AntyMalware is the best tool out there to clean a virus ridden computer, you may also want to download GMER and catchme, you can find them in google. If the computer keeps going slow, download HijackThis, get a log and post it here.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
This wasn't on Dell but I have found insidious software under a different name in the program files. I had to individually identify the real and necessary programs versus a misnamed or erroneously named software. Basically, it didn't make sense. I tried to just delete the program but it wouldn't let me. I was not permitted to change the name within the program files so that I could delete the entire program. I pulled the program out using the drag and placed it on my desktop where it did allow me to change the name and subsequently allowed the deletion of all related to it. I was going nuts because it really bogs down the system and was not even closely identifiable with name of the malware. The program hid as a generic program. Not an easy task. The other suggestions are definitely worth the effort but if it hides under a generic name i.e., internet, security, etc. very difficult to find and my malware program could not detect it.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hey, since we're talking about computers, here's a question for y'all-

When I was switching my OS to Windows 7, the guy who was doing the install put in a jive-a$$ bootleg version of Nero 7. It would not install, but it also would not uninstall using the traditional methods.

So thanks to RenatoSosua's advice I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and finally yanked it like a bad tooth.

But I'm still getting this maldito Icon that I cannot seem to remove-

2uo046q.png

When I right-click on the icon and click "options" I get this message-"Initialization Error. Please Install Nero Again".

Anyone know how I can get rid of it?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Berzin, go to Start (in windows 7 the Windows logo) and then go to startup and if there is anything Nero related under that folder delete it, then type msconfig in the search programs and files field under the Windows logo (Down to the left) and go to startup and if you find anything nero related there uncheck it. Try that, reboot the computer and if the maldito message keeps appearing we will have to dig into the registry.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Of course there is a completely sure way of getting rid of all these malwear, trojans etc, etc. Save to CD, DVD or extenal hard drive all your important data,get rid of all of Mr Gates Windows and install a Linux operating system. By all means create a small Windows partition. I can always point you in the right direction for help. I?ve used Linux for years, currently SuSe 11 and never have any of the problems you mention.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Berzin, go to Start (in windows 7 the Windows logo) and then go to startup and if there is anything Nero related under that folder delete it, then type msconfig in the search programs and files field under the Windows logo (Down to the left) and go to startup and if you find anything nero related there uncheck it. Try that, reboot the computer and if the maldito message keeps appearing we will have to dig into the registry.

Are you talking about the stuff in this window? I see a Nero AG file. Is that the one I should delete?

6zmsg9.png

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes, uncheck it and restart the computer. Tell me what happens.

It's still there...:angry::angry::angry:

I went back to msconfig and even though I unchecked the box and restarted the computer, it's still there. The only thing that's different is the box is unchecked.

k1falu.png

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Ok, there should be another startup file trying to open up Nero related engines. There is another startup folder, is the Windows logo, All Programs, Startup, open that up and see if there is any nero related file there, if not then we will have to start digging in the registry (a bit dangerous if you don't know much about computers or Windows systems).

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Ok, there should be another startup file trying to open up Nero related engines. There is another startup folder, is the Windows logo, All Programs, Startup, open that up and see if there is any nero related file there, if not then we will have to start digging in the registry (a bit dangerous if you don't know much about computers or Windows systems).

The only thing that comes up is "One Note 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher".