¿Ahora o ahorita?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I enjoy finding information about Spanish whether I am very familiar with the topic or not. I enjoy self-educating and reading different perspectives and points of knowledge.

A topic that comes up often is the usage and meaning of ahora and ahorita. Here is a short video I found and a definition from the RAE. There is plenty of information and commentary on the internet if you want to read more about the usage.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Thanks for these helpful lessons (lessonitas?). I'm sure you've covered this before so excuse my redundancy, but how about para vs. por? I've looked online and even asked native Spanish speakers, yet I still get slightly differing opinions. I've never been corrected when speaking Spanish (perhaps out of courtesy?) but it makes me wonder if there is a hard and fast rule, or if it just depends on locale? What say you? Thanks in advance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Quite recently

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks for these helpful lessons (lessonitas?). I'm sure you've covered this before so excuse my redundancy, but how about para vs. por? I've looked online and even asked native Spanish speakers, yet I still get slightly differing opinions. I've never been corrected when speaking Spanish (perhaps out of courtesy?) but it makes me wonder if there is a hard and fast rule, or if it just depends on locale? What say you? Thanks in advance.

There are definitely rules of usage and this is not me saying this. The rules of Spanish grammar are in control.

Don’t expect speakers to be able to know the difference if they did not study Spanish grammar (and if they did a long time ago same don’t expect them to know)

Chances are people know what you mean so they don’t correct you unless it really stands out and changes the meaning dramatically.

The usage of por and para is not interchangeable.

See post #4 for a recent link in this thread.

There are plenty of resources on the web and you could not find anything?

Here is a quiz from cliff notes:

Very good link here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Lessonitas- quite original. Good for you.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Ahorita meanings in Mexico:

I am trying to find a similar link for the DR. A ver........

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
From what I hear, here on the North Coast of the DR, "ahorita" means "in a little while", but this can be before or after now. To signify "a little while later" I hear people saying "ahorita mas tarde". Am I right?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
From what I hear, here on the North Coast of the DR, "ahorita" means "in a little while", but this can be before or after now. To signify "a little while later" I hear people saying "ahorita mas tarde". Am I right?

Ahorita in that context used in the DR means después or más tardecito. A little later but often no specific time. Very common usage in the Caribbean.

The other meaning could be a little while ago as in hace poco.

Last edited:

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Aaaaah "Ahorita", a Dominican's favorite word :LOL:. Ask when anything will happen, when anything will get done, when will you get your money back, when will the problem be fixed... AHORITA. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Aaaaah "Ahorita", a Dominican's favorite word :LOL:. Ask when anything will happen, when anything will get done, when will you get your money back, when will the problem be fixed... AHORITA. 🤦‍♂️

So true. A response that often diminishes the importance of something.

Pregunta: ¿Cuándo lo vas a hacer?

Respuesta: Ahorita

In other words, never.

Reactions: DR_Guy and colmcb

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Here is something interesting I like about languages. This morning I was thinking about this post and your word ‘lessonitas’. However, in my mind I was saying to myself lessoncitas. You see the difference in the two words (in the diminutive form) yours- lessonitas and mine- lessoncitas.

I decided to check if there is a grammar rule that explains one over the other even though it is an English word. Turns out lessoncitas would be correct because if a word ends in N you add -cito or -cita to form the diminutive.

I had a teacher that would say that means the brain is working correctly because instinctively I used the right form without realizing there is an actual grammar rule.

Things that may you :unsure:

Last edited:

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Here is something interesting I like about languages. This morning I was thinking about this post and your word ‘lessonitas’. However, in my mind I was saying to myself lessoncitas. You see the difference in the two words (in the diminutive form) yours- lessonitas and mine- lessoncitas.

I decided to check if there is a grammar rule that explains one over the other even though it is an English word. Turns out lessoncitas would be correct because if a word ends in N you add -cito or -cita to form the diminutive.

I had a teacher that would say that means the brain is working correctly because instinctively I used the right form without realizing there is an actual grammar rule.

Things that may you :unsure:

I'm glad I get you thinking! Jajaja. Actually, I've seen the "cita" suffix before and thought it was slang (Jhoanncita, amorcita). Learning every day! Gracias!

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It does get done sometimes, just don't be in no hurry (this is doesn t include money matters of course ;))

I hear 'horita when Dominicans pronounce it.

I think it depends on who you are dealing with you can predict the outcome. I know when some people tell me ahorita it means olvídate de eso. That is how I process it.

As well, Africaida horita is frowned upon by the purists and grammarians. They already don’t like the fact that an adverb like ahora has a diminutive form and then dropping the ‘a’ gives them more to critique. Only in Latin America though because ahorita is not used in Spain.

Te lo digo para que sepas. Quiero que aprendas un buen español. :)

Reactions: colmcb

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I'm glad I get you thinking! Jajaja. Actually, I've seen the "cita" suffix before and thought it was slang (Jhoanncita, amorcita). Learning every day! Gracias!

The suffix -cito and -cita are definitely diminutives not slang. I thought it was interesting how my brain processed lessoncitas then I went back looked at what you wrote and thought okay this is good to check out. All good though. That is how you observe language usage.