Águilas Cibaeñas vs Tigres de Licey in NYC

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Águilas Cibaeñas and Tigres de Licey will be having three matches at Citi Field in NYC on Nov 10, 11, and 12.

Reactions: colmcb and Lucifer

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Lots of Dominicans living in Corona Queens were the stadium is located. The adjoining neighborhoods of Elmhurst and Jackson Heights also.
Actually the stadium is located in the neighborhood of Flushing bordering Corona...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Actually the stadium is located in the neighborhood of Flushing bordering Corona...

True, but you’re right, just a short ride down Roosevelt Ave or the 7 train to Jackson Heights and Elmhurst. I lived in JH 1974-1980, there were some Dominicans even then, but many more around 108th street in Corona

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Sure: many Dominicans in that area, but nothing in comparison to the Bronx. And Washington Heights is just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Yankee Stadium.
When I lived in Gotham, Jackson Heights was known as a Colombian enclave.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Hopefully the weather will be good.
That was (and still) the main concern the Dominicans abroad stated: Nov baseball is kinda weird in NYC.
And most of the people felt attracted at the beginning that the games were for LIDOM regular season, but they're gonna be exhibition games, not valid for the regular season :S :(

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The games will be played the following during the later half of the following week. Apparently, President Luis Abinader will shrow the first ball on Thursday. CDN/CDN Deportes will give coverage of the games in the DE.

JqIvTEg.jpg

I just checked in the iPad climate app what are the weather predictions for Queens, NY during the four days of the games. Things are looking wet for Thursday and sunny the other days. Temperatures (whites are celsius during the day, dark gray during the night) are expected to be, well, its not Santo Domingo in November. Hope the players are well dressed. These temps will feel more cold if the players arrive this week from thr DR, as the body requires a few days to get used to the change in temperatures. For people in the DR, the veins are closer to the skin as one of several cooling mechanisms the body does in the heat. When cold, those veins "move" away from the skin as a warming mechanism. When you travel from the tropics to NYC in November, those veins will be closer to the skin and you are going to feel that the temperatures are colder than someone that has been there for a longer time. Then you have to take into account the gender differences as women tend to feel colder than men given the same temperatures. It is what it is.

It's still early to get definite predictions as often they change by the time the days get closer, but usually the change isn't huge. Either way, it will be cold for Dominicans, more so those just arriving from the island.

JqIvu4a.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For comparison, the same days in SD.

JqIPjhx.jpg

These might be the first and last games by any Dominican team in NY during November. lol

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Let's see what the true weather is that day and whether they play. Spouses' cousin is a coach (used to be a player) and what they are being told they may or may not play. He mentioned something else about visas being an issue for some.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I hope Santiago plays better up there then they've been playing down here. They got their butts kicked all this week.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
I’m surprised that there are no comments on this thread after Nov 5.

Did anyone attend any of the games ?

Was the series considered a success?

Thoughts ?

I went to the Friday, Nov 10, game. The section (Field level - USD$210) where I was seating was empty before the game by the 3rd inning all the people from the 2nd/3rd level moved down - note to self : buy cheap tickets next time.

Overall it was a great experience for me.

I think the series was a successful but ….
the tickets need to cheaper and perhaps move it to summer/early autumn - they are exhibition games anyway.

Suggestions: Play in Chicago, Miami, Boston, Atlanta. In Texas and California bring in Mexican Titans ….

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I’m surprised that there are no comments on this thread after Nov 5.

Did anyone attend any of the games ?

Was the series considered a success?

Thoughts ?

I went to the Friday, Nov 10, game. The section (Field level - USD$210) where I was seating was empty before the game by the 3rd inning all the people from the 2nd/3rd level moved down - note to self : buy cheap tickets next time.

Overall it was a great experience for me.

I think the series was a successful but ….
the tickets need to cheaper and perhaps move it to summer/early autumn - they are exhibition games anyway.

Suggestions: Play in Chicago, Miami, Boston, Atlanta. In Texas and California bring in Mexican Titans ….
Everything suggest that a new Titanes del Caribe game will take place next year and that those games will count for the Dominican baseball season.

Here are random views during the three games. Considering things like the cold (which wasn't too bad during the games), it looks they were a success. Attendance was relatively weak during the Friday game, but during the other two days Citifield seem full of people. The cold and ticket prices didn't seem to be much of an issue. Some people went to NYC from as far away as Florida just to attend one of the games. Total attendance for the three days was over 90,000; most Dominicans.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
The general manager for Licey said they would not participate again due to poor planning and organization.

Of note, it was reported that the stadium did sell out of rum during the series which is the first time that's happened there in history so that's something to be proud of.