UN diplomats visit Abinader and enjoy Dominican hospitality

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Funcionarios-de-la-ONU-visitan-RD-Presidencia-1024x576.jpeg

Ten United Nations diplomats, most from the UN Security Council, visited the Dominican Republic for a relatively brief but very active stay, as reported in Listin Diario.

The ambassadors of Malta, Guyana, Bahrain, Benin, Greece, Indonesia, Kuwait, Libya, Slovenia and Tajikistan met with President Luis Abinader, Foreign Minister Roberto Alvarez, Defense Minister General Carlos Luciano Díaz Morfa, capital city mayor Carolina Mejia and had time to discuss issues related to global security, peace and regional stability. They also discussed the efforts of the Dominican Republic to comply with the state of law, economic growth, job creation and combat poverty.

The ambassadors also met Economy Minister Pavel Isa Contreras, Minister of Industry & Commerce Víctor (Ito) Bisonó, and with the director of ProDominicana, Biviana Riveiro, with whom they talked about the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So long as they aren't here to lecture the DR government about immigration, diversity, human rights or indoctrinating
their children...
Entertain them and send them home.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
UN is a joke and it needs to be dismantled
As long they keep vacationing/doing their meetings in the DR, the UN is good for Dominican hotels/convention center businesses, then keep the UN alive.

Oh, I agree with you that the UN is a joke, but people need to put food on their table. If the UN helps contribute to that especially by staying in the DR, then they are a useless-useful organization for the DR.

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
This is a tell-tale sign they are going to be doing something in Haiti soon. Maybe pushing the MSS mission, humanitarian or even peacekeeping (again). The HQ and all the supporting offices will be in SD. They did a recon and wanted a head nod for support from the DR. Wait and see.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
UN is a joke and it needs to be dismantled
A lot of truth in your post. The UN has become an anachronism in today’s fast paced, technology advanced (militarily) violent world. For many years, it’s been a big boys club, especially at the Security Council level. Veto power gives the permanent members the ability to pursue their own political, economic, and military agendas. It renders many of the UN efforts useless.

As long as the UN continues to intervene in on going civil and international wars to provide food, shelter, and medical support to affected populations, dictators, despots, war lords will not think twice about starting wars that place their populations at extreme risk. Hamas relied heavily on UNHCR and UNWRA support to pursue its genocidal agenda and the UN bears some of the responsibility for the rise of Hamas and the current Gaza war.

President Abinader and his administration are wise to keep up the appearance of being a friend to the UN. If the Kenyan troops ever arrive in Haiti and the UN backed intervention starts in earnest, Abinader knows the number of Haitian refugees heading for the DR border will increase significantly. He wants them kept on the Haitian side of the border and the UNHCR to provide them with food and shelter. Otherwise the security of DR citizens along the border will be at risk and the DR doesn’t have the resources to deal with a massive influx of Haitian refugees nor should it.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is a tell-tale sign they are going to be doing something in Haiti soon. Maybe pushing the MSS mission, humanitarian or even peacekeeping (again). The HQ and all the supporting offices will be in SD. They did a recon and wanted a head nod for support from the DR. Wait and see.
I sure hope not.. Geez , what could go wrong with that , again?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A lot of truth in your post. The UN has become an anachronism in today’s fast paced, technology advanced (militarily) violent world. For many years, it’s been a big boys club, especially at the Security Council level. Veto power gives the permanent members the ability to pursue their own political, economic, and military agendas. It renders many of the UN efforts useless.

As long as the UN continues to intervene in on going civil and international wars to provide food, shelter, and medical support to affected populations, dictators, despots, war lords will not think twice about starting wars that place their populations at extreme risk. Hamas relied heavily on UNHCR and UNWRA support to pursue its genocidal agenda and the UN bears some of the responsibility for the rise of Hamas and the current Gaza war.

President Abinader and his administration are wise to keep up the appearance of being a friend to the UN. If the Kenyan troops ever arrive in Haiti and the UN backed intervention starts in earnest, Abinader knows the number of Haitian refugees heading for the DR border will increase significantly. He wants them kept on the Haitian side of the border and the UNHCR to provide them with food and shelter. Otherwise the security of DR citizens along the border will be at risk and the DR doesn’t have the resources to deal with a massive influx of Haitian refugees nor should it.
I hate to predict the future, but will take exception:

Nobody in their right minds is going to give half a billion dollars for 1,000 Kenyan mercenaries to go to Haiti.
All the other soldiers of fortune being sent currently hinge upon that. So, not going to happen under the current circumstances.

As you pointed out, The UN does more harm than good when it does act. Which is hardly ever, thank god.

Well, some people think a few pesos earned in the DR spent by those on UN junkets is a good thing.
Keep up the appearances, I guess...

Buzz65

Jul 13, 2017
I hate to predict the future, but will take exception:

Nobody in their right minds is going to give half a billion dollars for 1,000 Kenyan mercenaries to go to Haiti.
All the other soldiers of fortune being sent currently hinge upon that. So, not going to happen under the current circumstances.

As you pointed out, The UN does more harm than good when it does act. Which is hardly ever, thank god.

Well, some people think a few pesos earned in the DR spent by those on UN junkets is a good thing.
Keep up the appearances, I guess...
I spend quite a bit of time in Kenya and believe me, they are far from mercenaries. Another thing is that Kenya's volunteering is highly political internally. Their President Ruto was trying to be a big shot and volunteered to look good in the eye of the UN, however his political rivals took it to the Kenyan High Court and it was ruled unconstitutional - "Kenya’s parliament passed a motion in November allowing the deployment of 1,000 officers to lead a multinational force in Haiti. But Judge Chacha Mwita said Kenya’s National Security Council, which is led by the president, does not have the authority to deploy regular police outside the country." So yes, the Kenyans might not go, but someone will because deploying troops to another country under the auspices of the UN is a money maker at around $1,200 per boots on the ground while the soldier maybe sees 1/3 of that money. Benin already stepped up and I could see Liberia and/or Cote d'Ivoire doing the same.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I spend quite a bit of time in Kenya and believe me, they are far from mercenaries. Another thing is that Kenya's volunteering is highly political internally. Their President Ruto was trying to be a big shot and volunteered to look good in the eye of the UN, however his political rivals took it to the Kenyan High Court and it was ruled unconstitutional - "Kenya’s parliament passed a motion in November allowing the deployment of 1,000 officers to lead a multinational force in Haiti. But Judge Chacha Mwita said Kenya’s National Security Council, which is led by the president, does not have the authority to deploy regular police outside the country." So yes, the Kenyans might not go, but someone will because deploying troops to another country under the auspices of the UN is a money maker at around $1,200 per boots on the ground while the soldier maybe sees 1/3 of that money. Benin already stepped up and I could see Liberia and/or Cote d'Ivoire doing the same.
Kenya is side tracked dealing with natural disasters at this point. What you say is correct. For the Kenyans, it’s about money, not about the Haitians. If they can make a profit with the UN’s blessing, It gives an air of legitimacy to their intervention. UN hands have already been bloodied by their lack of action to the atrocities in Rwanda and Croatia. What they are attempting to do in Haiti is no different.

“And we’re bound for the border, we’re soldiers of fortune
Well, we fight for no country, but we’ll die for good pay
Under the flag of the greenback dollar
Or the peso down Mexico way”

Mercenary Song-Steve Earle.