1 in 4 Dominicans think it’s OK to beat their wife

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is hard/sad to believe that anyone would think it is ok to raise a hand/put hands on someone else, woman, man, child, etc... When abuse becomes part of the relationship, it is time to leave. I know some don't for whatever reason, and that is sad.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It is hard/sad to believe that anyone would think it is ok to raise a hand/put hands on someone else, woman, man, child, etc..
It was normal where I grew up.

Now a days women have more options available for them to escape abuse than at any point in history.

The DR takes this stuff seriously. All the women has to do is say he threaten to beat me and the guy involved is all but guaranteed a 3 preventive jail sentence prior to his first court appearance.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It is hard/sad to believe that anyone would think it is ok to raise a hand/put hands on someone else, woman, man, child, etc... When abuse becomes part of the relationship, it is time to leave. I know some don't for whatever reason, and that is sad.
I will cancel a relationship either personal or business when someone raises their voice or intentionally deceives me. I would never be around for the next level. I know many thrive on drama and alcohol fueled jealousy episodes. It is not for me. However, I do watch binge watch 90-day fiancé when I need some spicey drama and there is no sports on tv.

• Haha
Reactions: billma90

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I will cancel a relationship either personal or business when someone raises their voice or intentionally deceives me. I would never be around for the next level. I know many thrive on drama and alcohol fueled jealousy episodes. It is not for me. However, I do watch binge watch 90-day fiancé when I need some spicey drama and there is no sports on tv.
In DR you mean alcohol and cocaine fueled jealousy. So there's this testimonial. My moto guy had a neighbor a few years back. He was shacked up with a young gal. He spent the evening imbibing and snorting cocaine. He came home at dawn. His teen wife proceeded to argue with him about his habit and knack for staying out all night. He then decided to take the rice pot and break open her skull. He left her there on the floor and went back out drinking. Not long after the PN caught up with him. So sad for that gal and her family. Know before you go folks.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Supposedly she made it to Puerto Rico. If it is any consolation, the little girl was smiling as usual. She is staying with family.
That’s good to hear. The other scenario was really creepy

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
That's just not how I was raised. My father never lifted his hand to my mom once, even in an idle threat. Once I llifted my hand to my ex because I was pissed but couldn't bring it down. There are some things you just can't do.

Any guy that hits a woman is something that's not obviously self defense is a true POS.
Same here and fully agree.

The contents of this recent article I find "interesting": https://www.diariolibre.com/actuali...iolencia-contra-la-mujer-si-es-infiel/2620996

One of my wife's sister's neighbors is with a guy (they've been together for years and have several kids) who evidently has had quite a few "external partners" aside from the marriage... The wife does not hit him though, maybe she should? (I'm sarcastic and do not condone violence in any form) Strangely, nothing of this sort was mentioned in any of those articles...

Reactions: NanSanPedro

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I pay attention and actively listen to people.
myself as well I pay real attention to what people are saying but half the time they are trying to set me up to scam me out of money to get me to feel sorry for them I can't tell you how many times when I ask a girl where her kids father is and they tell me he died classic setup...
3 weeks later I see on Facebook or Instagram the kids in a picture with their father only in DR folks.

slinger

Nov 5, 2010
Think for a minute what you and your wife shared in the bedroom. How the hell could you hit her after that?

Reactions: Lucifer

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Bob is speaking FACTS and FACTS don't care about feelings !!! A friend of mine did a Paternity test with all three Children from a marriage with the same women. All three turned out negative. I'm pretty sure you can include him into this statistic.
"When it comes to the matter of Baby Jesus, Joseph... you.are.NOT the father."

But seriously now... Did he do the paternity test after each birth or after all three kids had already been born?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Any man that hits a woman that he supposedly loves is a worthless piece of shit.
The only exception is raging Karen's that attack where you have to defend yourself.

David B

Aug 31, 2017

"1 in 4 Dominicans think it’s OK to beat their wife"?​

So provocative! The article doesn't say that! Actually, it says the opposite, that 26% "don't approve" of such behavior.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

So provocative! The article doesn't say that! Actually, it says the opposite, that 26% "don't approve" of such behavior.
Here's the article in English:

26% of the Dominican population “does not approve, but would understand” violence against women if they neglect household chores, reveals the report “Political culture of democracy in the Dominican Republic, 2023: taking the pulse of democracy”

“What is more worrying is that this percentage has grown significantly, 10 percentage points, since the last time the question was asked in 2014, with the result of 16%,” highlights the LAPOP Americas Barometer research.

In the gender and domestic violence chapter, the results showed that the percentage of people who 'would not approve, but would understand' that a man hits his wife in case of infidelity also increased, from 26% in 2014 to 33% in the Dominican population in 2023.”

“The justification of violence against women has increased in the country. This increase has been especially important in justifying violence when women omit domestic work,” she points out.

They think men are better political leaders than women

The Barometer concludes that these results show a society that is not very egalitarian, both in absolute terms and when compared with other countries in Latin America and the Caribbean.

Likewise, the report reveals a negative change in attitudes towards women in the political sphere, with 41% of people stating that men are better political leaders than women. The proportion of people agreeing with the idea that men are better political leaders than women had decreased since the first time that question was included in the survey, in 2008. But in 2023 it increased in the Dominican Republic, with the figure being the highest high in Latin America and the Caribbean, along with Honduras.

“The chapter reveals alarming findings that reflect a negative change in attitudes towards women in the political sphere, which consolidates the Dominican Republic as the country in the Latin American and Caribbean (LAC) region with the highest percentage of people who consider superior men as political leaders,” he warns.

These are the challenges women face

Women in the Dominican Republic face many of the challenges that women experience in most LAC countries: violation of rights, social, labor and economic discrimination, fewer opportunities, unfair treatment justified on cultural aspects, poor care of their children. health, concentration of demand for care tasks, sexual abuse and exploitation and sexist violence, the research states.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

As you began to translate, why didn't you translate the whole sentence then? You left part of it out.

"Ante la pregunta: "La esposa es infiel. ¿Usted aprobaría que el esposo golpee a su esposa, o usted no lo aprobaría, pero lo entendería, o usted ni lo aprobaría ni lo entendería?, el 33 % de los encuestados respondió que no lo aprobaría, pero lo entendería."

How would you then interpret the above? For me it's pretty clear... If I "understand" something, I'm definitely "fine" or "ok" with it...