2 nights in Las Galeras

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I still don't understand what you mean Steve. I backpacked through Central America/Caribbean in my younger days, and even in Hostels, fans are standard. So, it wouldn't cross my mind to inquire about a fan, I expect it, even if the owner has to blow the air with his mouth. I don't care about overhead or electricity costs, even Dominicans in poor barrios have abanicos.

But at the end of the day, the OP was only there for 2 nights. So, it is not a big deal.

I am not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is that this place sounds like a dump. You get what you pay for.

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
How would you get to either of these places from Bavaro? I am looking on a map and it looks like it would take hours. It lookslike 104 doesn't go all the way through. Is there boat option? My guess is if there is, it would be expensive. It just looks like a beautiful area to see.

Monga

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How would you get to either of these places from Bavaro? I am looking on a map and it looks like it would take hours. It lookslike 104 doesn't go all the way through. Is there boat option? My guess is if there is, it would be expensive. It just looks like a beautiful area to see.

Monga

Are you talking about getting to Las Galeras from Bavaro?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
What ? Asking for a fan in a hotel, in a tropical country shows the lack of homework on his part ? He did not travel to the Jungle of Congo !! Las Galeras is still a tourist town, albeit small and quiet.

What do you google: fan availability in Samana, Dominican Republic ??

I actually had a fan in the Congo jungle in an old, decrepit, ex-Belgian guest house somewhere upriver from Kisangani..

Ok.

So they hadn't had electricity for thirty years, but I did have a fan...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From Bavaro take the new Hwy to SD. Before SD just at the airport stay right and get on the service road. You will come to

the new Hwy to Nagua. About an hour and 15 later you hit Nagua. Just make a right and go to the end of the road and

you will be in Samana. Continue North to the end , about 35 minutes and that is Las Galeras. Total time about 4 1/2 hours.

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
Thank you SKY. I copied those down for our trip. It seems more or less straightforward as long as you are paying attention to the turns.

Many thanks!

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
Thank you SKY. I copied those down for our trip. It seems more or less straightforward as long as you are paying attention to the turns.

Many thanks!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Cruce Rinc?n de los Molinillos

About an hour and 15 later you hit Nagua.

From SD you do not go via Nagua to get to Saman?....
At the northern end of the highway you reach 'Cruce Rinc?n de los Molinillos' and that is where you turn right.
You continue on road # 5 all the way to S?nchez, then Saman? (Town) and finally Las Galeras.

donP

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From SD you do not go via Nagua to get to Saman?....
At the northern end of the highway you reach 'Cruce Rinc?n de los Molinillos' and that is where you turn right.
You continue on road # 5 all the way to S?nchez, then Saman? (Town) and finally Las Galeras.

donP

Read my post. I said make a right turn off the Hwy. Which is towards Samana.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Here is the post I made.

the new Hwy to Nagua. About an hour and 15 later you hit Nagua. Just make a right and go to the end of the road .

You would have to be a moron to get off the hwy and make a left when the sign there says what I said, right is Samana.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hey pal I guess I should have said take the Hwy towards Nagua and make a right at the end of it.

Does that make you happy. I thought my directions were pretty clear. Stick to finding dead people, you are
a lot better at that than driving directions.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Las Galeras is very cool for any seasoned traveler, we all know what to expect in small remote towns... So much virgin stuff to be explored around there. Rent a boat and hit the water, explore the wild DR.

I hate these tripadvisor wannabe reporters... they seem to have so much time on there hands to write long these long reports...many are revenge reports ... very sad for the people trying to make a living in those remote places, remember that without them we would be sleeping in our cars.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
If you like horse riding you can also go from Las Galeras to Playa Rincon by horses. It's a bit long about 1 hour 15 min each way, but make sure you ask and confirm you can stay at the beach for a few hours, otherwise it's not worth it. Nice scenery and pleasant countryside and views...

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi I have a few questions about Las Galeras...
. How is it about safety?
. Can we get ok internet there?
. Can it be a bit compared to Punta Rucia in terms of tranquility? Im asking this because I just was in PR...
:)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Rep
I never stayed for extended period but I am pretty sure it is safe ( Felt safe with 2 kids)
The WiFi I connected to in both hotels was decent, so I am assuming Internet is OK.
Never been to PR but PR seems more remote than LG (Been meaning to go to PR but it s a pain in the ass to get to, where as LG is not, it is just a little far)

Hope it helps till someone more knowledgeable answers :)