27 Waterfalls

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Domincan Joe,

Thanks for posting this link. i just read through it, i found the article by the Dominican--who lives abroad--interesting, but perplexing at the same time. nevertheless, i enjoyed it. I thought Lisa's rant was just downright crazy. Oh well, i still liked it. I found the Scottish girl--on her honeymoon-story interesting as well--she broke her ankle in 3 places and then apparently broke her leg--which required pins. All interesting stories, all fascinating testimonials, but like everything in life, there is another side to life.

1. Every time someone comes to Norway to visit me, or i meet someone in a cafe--and they tell me they love mountain biking--i immediately offer to take them down-hilliing up at Frogner/Holmekollen--the hills that surround Oslo. I have a couple of race-ready down hill mountain bikes and really enjoy taking people on tours through the forests and mountains surrounding Oslo.

For every 20 people i take on a tour, one person inevitably falls and hurts themselves. there are lots of tree roots and slippery rocks in places. Some of these people break bones, others just receive scratches. But i never deviate or discourage people from trying it. Yes, it can be dangerous, but 99% of the time, it's a benign, scenic ride. Am i to use the 10% of people who fall and hurt themselves as a Litmus test of whether or not to take people with me?

Look, some people fall down walking up steps to their house; a few of these people will break their ribs in climbing steps--my mother manages to do it. Some people are simply uncoordinated and fall down trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Some people fall down and scratch and hurt themselves when having sex, but they just chalk it up to extreme sport. Ok, i'm just kidding here...only i manage to do this during sex. But my point here, however, is that accidents happen everyday, in every sport whether its extreme or benign--including walking though the park or crossing the street. yes, i understand, some people will say that these are necessary activities--and i agree--but they don't preclude you to having a safe journey. Falling down is part of life. sometimes people die from simply falling off a ladder...it happens somewhere every single day.

Life should be about getting out of the house, away from the TV, and enjoy your surroundings. There's a lot of benign, fun activities out there to do and try, and no matter how benign, some people manage to hurt themselves ice-skating, jogging, mountain biking, walking, climbing stairs, and having sex...with themselves. I managed to do it. I still have the scars. Does it discourage me from trying again. No, i just get back up on the bike and try it over and over. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...or it chaffs your skin--which ever comes first.

Frank

Last edited:

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
unfortunately some people that come from say America to do the trip will think that if a trip is offered it would be virtually impossible to kill yourself doing it (like a ride in disneyland) and therefore leave it up to the tour guide to look after their safety.

If you come from a place where if you trip over a kerb stone , Its your own fault, you tend to take better precautions

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
If tour operators are selling tickets to these falls one would think there were some safety protocols in place.
I don't just mean supplying safety gear, I mean the guides trained in first aid, or trained in what to do in case of an emergency. Are there any in place?

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
If tour operators are selling tickets to these falls one would think there were some safety protocols in place.
Are there?

oops double posting....sorry!

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
I agree with Frank. How can someone warn people off trying the falls if they have never been themselves? Doesn't bother me to much though - if everyone liked doing the same thing it would be a pretty boring world!

Where abouts do you go down hill biking Frank?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I agree with Frank. How can someone warn people off trying the falls if they have never been themselves? Doesn't bother me to much though - if everyone liked doing the same thing it would be a pretty boring world!

Where abouts do you go down hill biking Frank?

In Oslo, Norway--particularly around Holmenkollen/Frognersetern area.

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
Are there?

Why? Just because someone is providing you a service, what makes you think that there would be some safety protocols? It is your life. And this is DR.

Here is the thing: DR is not USA, or Western Europe. Like it or not, you are responsible for your well being, not your guides, not the tour operators. If a guide tells you to jump, but it looks dangerous to you, then don't jump. It is foolish to think that just because some teenager who has been doing this for a number of years and is tagging along with you tells you to do something that he will have your best interest in heart. He is there only to help you, show you the way, give you recommended routes, but is not to be responsible for you.

If it has been raining, and the water is high, it is your decision whether you go or not. I wouldn't do it. And don't ask the guide; every guide will tell you that you that it is safe to go, regardless of the actual condition. Why? Because it is in his best interest to sell you his services and hope that you'll survive.

Although I highly recommend the 27 Falls to everyone, I highly discourage this tour to anyone who has the attitude: "well, if it would be dangerous, they would not let people do it."

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
.......and that was my point ......some people do not know there are different standards in other countries and would expect to be totally safe without taking precautions themselves

westcan

Sep 10, 2008

Why? Just because someone is providing you a service, what makes you think that there would be some safety protocols? It is your life. And this is DR.

Here is the thing: DR is not USA, or Western Europe. Like it or not, you are responsible for your well being, not your guides, not the tour operators. If a guide tells you to jump, but it looks dangerous to you, then don't jump. It is foolish to think that just because some teenager who has been doing this for a number of years and is tagging along with you tells you to do something that he will have your best interest in heart. He is there only to help you, show you the way, give you recommended routes, but is not to be responsible for you.

If it has been raining, and the water is high, it is your decision whether you go or not. I wouldn't do it. And don't ask the guide; every guide will tell you that you that it is safe to go, regardless of the actual condition. Why? Because it is in his best interest to sell you his services and hope that you'll survive.

Although I highly recommend the 27 Falls to everyone, I highly discourage this tour to anyone who has the attitude: "well, if it would be dangerous, they would not let people do it."

Fair enough, I feel almost the same way as well.

But, how hard can it be to train the staff in first aid and have a first aid station? (I am assuming that hasn't been done).

Obviously one cannot control the weather but the falls can be opened for business or closed for the day when conditions merit. Is this done? Obviously this wasn't done when the people drowned, but maybe this has changed.

pdmlynek

Sep 27, 2012
Fair enough, I feel almost the same way as well.

But, how hard can it be to train the staff in first aid and have a first aid station? (I am assuming that hasn't been done).

Obviously one cannot control the weather but the falls can be opened for business or closed for the day when conditions merit. Is this done? Obviously this wasn't done when the people drowned, but maybe this has changed.

I completely agree with you, westcan, but I think that you are missing the point of my post.

Yes, it is easy to train staff in first aid, and to have a first aid stations available. It is easy to close the falls for business if the water level is high. That is what a responsible attraction operator would do in the US or Europe.

But this is a business in DR, where the culture is different, where the values are different, and where liability laws are different.

The point is that for better or worse, visitors to the Damajagua falls need to be responsible for themselves, and not think that someone else is going to responsible for them. If the visitors want to do something foolish or dangerous, they should not count on guides or the park service of the government on stopping them.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
I completely agree with you, westcan, but I think that you are missing the point of my post.

Yes, it is easy to train staff in first aid, and to have a first aid stations available. It is easy to close the falls for business if the water level is high. That is what a responsible attraction operator would do in the US or Europe.

But this is a business in DR, where the culture is different, where the values are different, and where liability laws are different.

The point is that for better or worse, visitors to the Damajagua falls need to be responsible for themselves, and not think that someone else is going to responsible for them. If the visitors want to do something foolish or dangerous, they should not count on guides or the park service of the government on stopping them.

Hence the reason that some residents on the north coast say that the falls are dangerous and recommend that their friends do NOT go.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Regardless of the perceived safety measures in place, they will not protect against the strong undertow, which claimed Adam Vitaterna's young life. Search posts by "cheetah", Adam's Dad.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some people just can't be responsible for their own decisions.

Some just aren't mentally fit for life...or even a vacation...in a developing/Third World environment.

But that's one thing I love about the DR: I can assume all the risk I want with little bureaucratic interference...

maleru

Jan 18, 2013
I did it a few days ago in a self organized tour, only one in our group wasn?t fit, she stopped at 12 and waited for the rest of us. Most of the bigger jumps have ?safer?slide alternatives for those with aversions to heights. Our party of 9 only suffered a scraped knee or two, the guides wouldn?t let us jump where new rocks had fallen because the depth of the pool was unknown. I felt safe and am an uncomfortable swimmer.

I did this tour a year ago. While I had the most fun I've had in a long time I couldn't help but think this is really dangerous! A few people in our group were scared stiff. If someone really wants to go I would suggest they be in good shape a good swimmer, not afraid of heights and hope for the best!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I did it twice.. once in 2008 and once in 2011.. both times the full 27 falls.. the last time I went up on a trail (a little tough but we were late coming to the falls and had to hurry up) and both times I enjoyed the experience...

Personally, I have always found it to be a highly energizing experience... but you are responsible for your own safety... so if you are not used to looking out for yourself, are out of shape, have trouble with water or sports don't go.. it is your decision ultimately..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I did it twice.. once in 2008 and once in 2011.. both times the full 27 falls.. the last time I went up on a trail (a little tough but we were late coming to the falls and had to hurry up) and both times I enjoyed the experience...

Personally, I have always found it to be a highly energizing experience... but you are responsible for your own safety... so if you are not used to looking out for yourself, are out of shape, have trouble with water or sports don't go.. it is your decision ultimately..
Didn't we do it in 2006?