4 missing while on DR fishing trip....

HelenSkaates

Jan 16, 2010
Thank you so very much for your post. I am sure that Rob would have appreciated it as I am sure that Claude, his wife Debbie and Aaron will be attending the event.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Excellent post mrp. I will definitely be at Pat'e Palo that evening. Could you please confirm the time. My condolences.

rwillis

Jan 18, 2010
mrp - would you mind giving me your name? I've known Rob since I was 3 (my mom and he lived together from then until I was about 11). Anyways, I'm considering coming down from the US for the concert, but had some questions. If you're on facebook, my intent is to friend request you and go from there.

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
mrp - would you mind giving me your name? I've known Rob since I was 3 (my mom and he lived together from then until I was about 11). Anyways, I'm considering coming down from the US for the concert, but had some questions. If you're on facebook, my intent is to friend request you and go from there.

If you click on MRP's name you can send him a private message ( PM )

I also sent him an email to look for your post as he is sleeping now.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
...There is an old maritime trick that when you sink in a boat you use shoe laces to tie people together, since if there are air searched (which there were many) you can spot a group of people by air easier than you can spot one...
Sorry, but that simply doesn't make sense. It is virtually impossible to keep afloat on rough seas while swimming only with 1 hand, the other being tied by a shoe lace to a fellow who might be panicking, or already dead...
I do not mean any disrespect, I haven't taken part in that discussion. But the shoe lace explanation is not true...

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Sorry, but that simply doesn't make sense. It is virtually impossible to keep afloat on rough seas while swimming only with 1 hand, the other being tied by a shoe lace to a fellow who might be panicking, or already dead...
I do not mean any disrespect, I haven't taken part in that discussion. But the shoe lace explanation is not true...
People wearing life vests do not need to be swimming around with 1 hand.
Is there some reason why you would assume they did not have life vests?

It makes sense to me that people who are floating around with life vests on would want to stay together instead of drifting apart.
If they can do this without having to constantly hold on to each other, this makes sense to me.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
But, of course it requires that folks are in life jackets. If they weren't, it would be pretty hard to stay afloat if you're tied to someone else.
Then we are in agreement... This is what I was meaning...

-Am I mistaken to assume some of the bodies were found without life-jackets ?

mrp

Jul 7, 2008
For those who again are speculating, both recovered bodies were wearing ski vests. For those who still are speculating, they were blue, and yes the "burn marks" were in fact nothing more than sunburn. For anyone still in doubt, I was at the dock in Boca Chica, saw the bodies as they were brought ashore from two Dominican Navy vessels. I can only promise you that it was a sight you would never want to see, and I hope that none of you ever have to go through this. Anytime Rob and I were ever in trouble on any of his boats the first thing we did was put life jackets on, and we are both expert swimmers.

mrp

Jul 7, 2008
This message is to RWillis. I believe I know who you are, if your mother was a nurse. Please send me an email with your number via clicking on Mrp, with your phone number, as I will contact you personally. This is something that does not belong on this message board out of my Respect (and yours) for Rob. Please notice that I am not using your name, although Rob has spoken of you many times.

inmymind57

Jan 16, 2010
More inaccurate information to be corrected

I am positive that he would have done everything in his power to bring everyone to safety, and Pilio, who also wasn't found, was an Air Force corporal, and he was a certified diving instructor. I am sure that they were the last two to pass on.

Again, information that is not accurate. Plinio was not in the Air Force and was not a diving instructor. He was an attorney, and his wife Laura owned a restaurant. Someone else has speculated and put mis-information out about the bodies having been burned. The bodies that were recovered had severe sunburn from their long exposure over days in the water with no sun protection. They were not burned from a fire or anything like that.

Please don't write things on here if you are not 100% sure of the facts. We, the families of those lost, would appreciate it.

mrp

Jul 7, 2008
I am part of Rob's family, not Plinio's. The information that I was told was by the family members about Plinio and as I am not a family member, if you are, I will respect that your information is correct. If you are a family member than you probably know me, as I was in Boca Chica 2 Sundays ago and probably saw you and met you during what was then a search and rescue operation.

My understanding also was that Laura's father, Otto, was the owner of the restaurant, that I believe is called La Cava. If you are actually family, please accept my apologies about who Plinio was, since I did not know him, and I was told that he was an expert diving instructor by another person who was family. The last intention I have is to spread wrong information, there is plenty of that already circulating on this message board.

Please let everyone know in Plinio's family that they are invited to Pate Palo on January 31st to celebrate Rob's life. I will understand if they are not in a celebratory mood and don't wish to come, but if they do and it helps bring them closure, we would be honored to have them there, as we went to Laura's wake and ceremony as well.

kah1675

Jan 24, 2010
Laura was my 1st Cousin... they still have not found her husband Plinio or Captain Rob or the boat....... I miss her dearly but at least they did find her body as well as her brother in laws. :-(

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
From Capt Rob's Website

Captain Rob

Goodbye Captain Rob

IN LOVING MEMORY OF ROBERT WAYNE SKAATES AKA CAPTAIN ROB, MAY YOU REST IN PEACE AND MAY YOU STAY IN THE COMPANY OF G_D FOREVER. WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU. March 18th 1957-January 2010? LOST AT SEA...

Good Bye, and 2 other things...

Rob lost his life in a tragic boating accident when he was invited on SOMEONE ELSE'S BOAT. If you come to fish in the DR please do not board a boat that is made by Intermarine.

This line of boats was discontinued 15 months ago and they are very unsafe! Over 12 boats have sunk in the past 3 years. Now Rob, Plinio and Laura (parents of 3 children who are now orphans) and Javier (who leaves a wife and 2 children behind) would not want to have this happen to anyone else EVER AGAIN.

PLEASE REMEMBER, THAT IN THE DR THERE ARE VERY FEW SAFETY AND INSPECTION LAWS, AND THOSE THAT EXIST ARE RARELY ENFORCED. CHECK THE MAKE AND MODEL AND HISTORY OF A BOAT AS WELL AS SEA CONDITIONS WITH THE NAVY BEFORE YOU GO OUT SO YOU DON'T LOSE YOUR LIFE.

Reactions: AlterEgo