450$ for electricity contract in Bavaro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why we are ripped off always

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The high charge for the electricity meters is not just for foreigners. Most of my neighbours are Dominican and as far as I know they did not pay any less for theirs. :)

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
The high charge for the electricity meters is not just for foreigners. Most of my neighbours are Dominican and as far as I know they did not pay any less for theirs. :)

Good to hear that from a foreign.
If He think that he is being ripped. here a list of average of what We pay
Very poor = 0, yes they pay nothing (about 40% of population)
Poor = 100 to 300 fixed.
Middle low = 400 to 3,000
Middle = 3,000 to 18,000 depend of your lifestyle. If you have 3AC (which is normal here) and use it for around 8 hours a day, be prepared to pay over 400dlls a month.
Upper middle = 20,000 to 40,000
Upper class from 50,000 and up.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
Interesting... i went today and made the "solicitud" they told me RD 2,500.00 for 220 in juan dolio.did i understood wrong? she did say i will have to pay after they go for an inspection of the building... OMG do i then have to pay whatever they say according to "the inspection"???

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
my first contract with the Corporation was in 2000 required a RD1,000.00 deposit, a year later, I moved, paid the final bill, they returned my deposit 10 days later.

I rented another house signed a new electric contract, no deposit required, lived there 2 years +, moved closed the contract paid the final bill.

New House, new location Corporation that services this side of town, sent mesenger with my ID, picked up contract, brought to me to sign, took it back with 2 copies of my ID, No deposit required, here now in this house since 2004, bill comes via email each 4 - 7th of the month, I pay it, no worries......

We have increase consumption over the years, usually was around 450 - 500 kwh, and like new year, january we are now over the dreaded 700 kwh mark, no more subsidies and time to go solar!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
wow, thats an interesting comment Glenn, I will ask about it, as I was not the one taking care of that matter, Im not yet in DR ...
You mean the machine that counts the electricty?
Thanks for that info.

Hi Rubenpriego,
I see others have also answered. My comment was based on what was told to me by another member who purchased their condo in Cortecito a year or two ago. My place is still under construction, so I haven't had to get electricity service yet. HOPEFULLY soon.

Nov 17, 2007
Hi Ruben,

at La Estancia near Bayahibe I paid for the contador as well, but no deposit for the electricity upfront.
Now I am abroad for some months and suspended the contract.
They told me I could reconnect for a small fee but would have to buy a new contador if I will be away longer then 12 months.
edwin

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
For what I read I see definetely that not everybody had to pay that amount of dollars to get electricity connection.
Anyway I have to go through this, no other way. Moving to another country has this kind of "collateral costs" ...
If anyone living in Bavaro wants to share a cold beer (I prefer a frozen Caipirinha ;)) in June, I will be there for some weeks setting up some matters before my final arrival there. Just let me know!
Cheers!