5 y/o Dom boy put on wrong plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
But in the future maybe The Airlines can put a luggage TAG with the Airport Code on the kids Carry on, with a Matching one on his wrist ? At least til he gets on the Plane

But Martinez said she has never received an apology or explanation
for how the mixup occurred ? noting that Andy was wearing a wristband with his name on

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I dont see what the big deal is.. 2 kids got switched. it was an accident.. I dont see that the Airline did anything Malicious , why would they. Mistake yes, but no harm came to anyone.
I blame the Parents for being to cheap to send someone with the kids.. Unless you put Bar Codes on the Kids head, how are you ever going to be 100%.
But in the future maybe The Airlines can put a luggage TAG with the Airport Code on the kids Carry on, with a Matching one on his wrist ? At least til he gets on the Plane
... that should eliminate it.
Geesh, now we treating 5 year old kids as LUGGAGE ,just cuz the parents are too cheap or lazy to send a Chaperone along.

If my underage child would not be on the international flight I?m expecting him her to be, I would not be very fine with that, but that?s just me... But yes, I agree with you, I would send a 5 yo child nowhere alone, yet alone to a international flight... Accompanied or not, the staff only works there, and you don?t know the staff personally...

On the identification of the kid, I have no idea about this, but aren?t they required to carry passport anyway? And the staff is supposed to compare that with the passenger list of the flight? Should be relatively easy to confirm the identity of the person boarding the flight? Even if the child was accompanied by airline staff up until to the gate, they should have presented the ID at the gate?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Horrifying story, but at least it ended well. I cannot imagine what that poor mother felt like at the airport.

Last edited:

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
no!!! At baggage collection there is a place they will place unclaimed luggage taken from the conveyor belt....it is here
you can also stand the unaccompanied or unclaimed lost child like the suitcases already there. easy!!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If my underage child would not be on the international flight I?m expecting him her to be, I would not be very fine with that, but that?s just me... But yes, I agree with you, I would send a 5 yo child nowhere alone, yet alone to a international flight... Accompanied or not, the staff only works there, and you don?t know the staff personally...

On the identification of the kid, I have no idea about this, but aren?t they required to carry passport anyway? And the staff is supposed to compare that with the passenger list of the flight? Should be relatively easy to confirm the identity of the person boarding the flight? Even if the child was accompanied by airline staff up until to the gate, they should have presented the ID at the gate?

I've seen kids traveling alone, they wear a pouch around their neck on a lanyard with all their documents inside. It sounds like this time the two boys' pouches got switched somewhere along the line. But geeze, they are 5, didn't ANYONE ask their name to confirm their identity anywhere along the line?? I have a 5 year old grandson, they certainly can rattle off all important personal info. This mixup was done in Santiago, and they were Dominican children who we have to assume speak Spanish. There is no excuse in the world good enough for me.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Horrifying story, but at least it ended well. I cannot imagine what that poor mother felt like at the airport.

Not sure if you are tying to be comical or what.. and its especially humorous since the Parents accept no responsibility in this .
its NEVER the parents fault, is it ?

Besides,
One kid went to Boston, one went to NYC , yes ??

If one went to Baghdad, Iraq and the other one to Istanbul, Turkey , then yeagh, they would have a right to be upset. like WTF.

The whole thing had a happy ending..
Stop already, with these First World Problems and Spoiled Brat attitudes .
Kids in other countries are dying , from hunger and being SHOT...
these 2 kids went on the wrong plane, im sure they were treated VERY nicely, Especially once the error was detected.
And how is this different from lets say the Airline having to make an Emergency Landing in another City ? a much worse Scenario, imo.
But ok, at 5 , they probably did not appreciate it,, but acting like they were abused in some way by the Airline. this is just some real First word CRY my a river type of nonsense ..

------
EDIT.
I see you edited your post, either way. I took NO offense to it whatsoever, just for the record..

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I've seen kids traveling alone, they wear a pouch around their neck on a lanyard with all their documents inside. It sounds like this time the two boys' pouches got switched somewhere along the line. But geeze, they are 5, didn't ANYONE ask their name to confirm their identity anywhere along the line?? I have a 5 year old grandson, they certainly can rattle off all important personal info. This mixup was done in Santiago, and they were Dominican children who we have to assume speak Spanish. There is no excuse in the world good enough for me.

29 posts and everyone is just too "politically correct" to state the real reason why it happened. It is NOT JetBlue's fault.......it is their employees..............and what do you expect.......based on what
country it happened in.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
29 posts and everyone is just too "politically correct" to state the real reason why it happened. It is NOT JetBlue's fault.......it is their employees..............and what do you expect.......based on what
country it happened in.

And since when are companies not liable for the actions of their employees?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
...........didn't say they are not liable.............I said it was not their fault................and actually,
the Dominican Republic is a perfect example of "where a company feels they are not responsible for
for the action of their employees"

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
My response is to just binge-watch "Bojack Horseman," because that's the only thing that makes sense.

Apr 7, 2014
Not sure if you are tying to be comical or what.. and its especially humorous since the Parents accept no responsibility in this .
its NEVER the parents fault, is it ?

Besides,
One kid went to Boston, one went to NYC , yes ??

If one went to Baghdad, Iraq and the other one to Istanbul, Turkey , then yeagh, they would have a right to be upset. like WTF.

The whole thing had a happy ending..
Stop already, with these First World Problems and Spoiled Brat attitudes .
Kids in other countries are dying , from hunger and being SHOT...
these 2 kids went on the wrong plane, im sure they were treated VERY nicely, Especially once the error was detected.
And how is this different from lets say the Airline having to make an Emergency Landing in another City ? a much worse Scenario, imo.
But ok, at 5 , they probably did not appreciate it,, but acting like they were abused in some way by the Airline. this is just some real First word CRY my a river type of nonsense ..

------
EDIT.
I see you edited your post, either way. I took NO offense to it whatsoever, just for the record..
Ok..

Lets prove this: Santiago has ONE runway. So how does the Boston flight and NY flight depart at the same time? There is like a half-hour between departures so how was this not detected during boarding? With the boarding pass and all?
Maybe wristband and barcodes isnt a bad idea.

Jan 9, 2004
And since when are companies not liable for the actions of their employees?

They are.

Under the Doctrine/Theory of Respondeat Superior.

JetBlue did not have to accept the responsibility.....but they did.....and when you do....and.....your employees act negligently.....Respondeat Superior.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
...........didn't say they are not liable.............I said it was not their fault................and actually,
the Dominican Republic is a perfect example of "where a company feels they are not responsible for
for the action of their employees"

As far as I understand, JetBlue is an American company?

If they are in a foreign destination where they suspect that everything does not go always smooth, they should make an extra effort to know that they are carrying who they are supposed to carry. On the other hand, with all the unfortunate things happened in the recent years, should it not be in particular interest of American carriers to know everyone on board?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The passports got switched somehow, just in case anyone wants to know how it happened.. seems the wristbands were correct . so yes, "somebody" messed up, and then a series of people did not double check.
which is funny cuz they check your passport at Check in time, check your passport at Immigration, at the xray machine, Then at the gate,and then again at the chute into the plane..
What exactly are they "checking" ?
this could be a deeper problem then, cuz maybe they are just going through the motions and not really checking anything?.

I'm curious though, since these Flight were so Close , were the kids maybe playing with each other at the Gate Area, and in playing they switched each others passports ?
That would be an innocent mistake, but still a mistake since the kids were under the Airlines PAID supervision.. The mother paid $100 for this service.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My sister has Down's syndrome and once I was waiting in the Chattanooga airport for her to arrive from Minneapolis. My brother had put her in the hands of TWA and paid $50.00 for the extra service. The plane had arrived that she was supposed to be on when my cellular phone rang. unknown number. I answered and it was an airline employee in Charlotte NC> Somehow sister had arrived there. We never dd figure out how. I spoke to her and they got her on a plane to Chattanooga and arrove an hour and a half later. 30 years ago or more. But she has refused to mount on an airplane since then.
Der Fish

Aug 6, 2006
My response is to just binge-watch "Bojack Horseman," because that's the only thing that makes sense.

========================================
Bojack Horseman made sense to you?
Surely you jest!

tartesos

Dec 7, 2011
I had to travel that way once when I was young, so don`t be so fast to judge.
Jet Blue still sucks to me btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.