91 ex convicts coming home

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not sure what your point is

Originally Posted by capodominicano
One important issue on this topic is those being deported that are raised in the USA. I have met many Dominicans that came here in a very young age (for example 3-7 years old) and never get naturalized citizenship. Imagine those that come at a young age, are brought up as Americans with a bit of Dominican culture commit a crime & then get deported! Are these criminals really Dominicans? I would say NO they are Americans not just because they were raised in America but many are from the lower economic levels & therefore probably have never been to DR, I have met many "Dominicans" that have never been to DR, so exactly whose trash would this type of "Dominican" belong to? The country he was born in or the country he was raised in
?
I am not against illegal aliens being deported, I am against residents being deported for many reasons, the biggest reason resident aliens pay taxes & must register for the selective service. If a resident commits a crime I believe they should pay thier debt to American society & stay in America.

They are legal residents and the law says that the residency can and will be revoked if you break the laws of the country you are a resident in, or spend enough time outside of the country that your residency is in question. They have been ALLOWED to reside in that country it is not a RIGHT.

If they want the right to reside there then they should be come a citizen. Then they won't get deported! If they have been raised there why not apply for citizenship?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bienamor said:
I am not against illegal aliens being deported, I am against residents being deported for many reasons, the biggest reason resident aliens pay taxes & must register for the selective service.
Surprisingly, even illegal aliens are required to register with Selective Service.
bienamor said:
If they want the right to reside there then they should be come a citizen. Then they won't get deported! If they have been raised there why not apply for citizenship?
I never understood why they don't apply for citizenship. I think some are misinformed that they will lose their Dominican citizenship when they obtain US citizenship.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
There is still a Dominican community

Ricardo900 said:
There are few unskilled labor positions available in NYC, the restaurant and construction industry is tied up by the Mexicans, housekeepers and nannies are monopolized by the West Indians, city and state jobs are monopolized by the Blacks, Whites and Puerto Ricans, and luckily the Dominicans are finding work in office buildings (cleaning and food services), even though I am starting to see an increase of office cleaners from the former Soviet Union. Leonel need to get off his a$$ and feed his people

i think Leonel has a alot of cleaning up to do after Hippolito's mess. i really thought the "corralito" was going to happen in the D.R. thank God it didn't but Leonel has alot of paying back to do so that it doesn't occur.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
you guys are a little confused on the selective service

http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

NOTE: Immigrants who did not enter the United States or maintained their lawful non-immigrant status by continually remaining on a valid visa until after they were 26 years old were never required to register. Also, immigrants born before 1960 who did not enter the United States or maintained their lawful non-immigrant status by continually remaining on a valid visa until after March 29, 1975 were never required to register.

P.S. i highly doubt that there are bus loads of illegal immigrants registering for the selective service or even paying taxes.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mami said:
http://www.sss.gov/must.htm

NOTE: Immigrants who did not enter the United States or maintained their lawful non-immigrant status by continually remaining on a valid visa until after they were 26 years old were never required to register. Also, immigrants born before 1960 who did not enter the United States or maintained their lawful non-immigrant status by continually remaining on a valid visa until after March 29, 1975 were never required to register.

P.S. i highly doubt that there are bus loads of illegal immigrants registering for the selective service or even paying taxes.
I read the same thing before posting. I think that text refers to people with legal non-immigrant status. The chart in the same link says that legal and illegal aliens must register.

ALIENS ** REQUIRED TO REGISTER?
Lawful non-immigrants on visas (e.g., diplomatic and consular personnel and families, foreign students, tourists with unexpired visas (Forms I-94, I-95A), or those with Border Crossing Documents (Forms I-185, I-186, I-444). No
Permanent resident aliens. Yes
Special (seasonal) agricultural workers (Form I-688). Yes
Special agricultural workers (Form I-688A). No
Refugee, parolee, and asylee aliens. Yes
Undocumented (illegal) aliens. Yes

Regardless, I do agree with your statement that it is doubtful than many illegal aliens are registering for the draft.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
confusing.

i emailed the website to find out what the deal is and i also asked "if illegal aliens do register, does this make them automatic citizens?

but look what else i read in the same website:
U.S. non-citizens and dual nationals are required by law to register with the Selective Service System.* Most are also liable for induction into the U.S. Armed Forces if there is a draft. They would also be eligible for any deferments, postponements, and exemptions available to all other registrants.

However, some aliens and dual nationals would be exempt from induction into the military if there is a draft, depending on their country of origin and other factors. Some of these exemptions are shown below:

An alien who has lived in the U.S. for less than one year is exempt from induction.
A dual national whose other country of nationality has an agreement with the U.S. which specifically provides for an exemption is exempt from induction.
[Some countries have agreements with the U.S. which exempt an alien national who is a citizen of both that country and the U.S. from military service in the U.S. Armed Forces.] An alien who requests and is exempt under an agreement or bilateral treaty can never become a U.S. citizen, and may have trouble reentering the U.S. if he leaves.
An alien who served at least a year in the military of a country with which the U.S. is involved in mutual defense activities will be exempt from military service if he is a national of a country that grants reciprocal privileges to citizens of the U.S.
During a draft, any claims for exemptions based on any of the above categories would be granted or denied by a man's Local Board.

Military examiners make the final decision about who will be accepted into the military.

*Note: Currently, aliens cannot volunteer for the U.S. military unless they have permanent resident alien status.

it seems that the amount that should register is a small amount. because they can only register between 18 and 24 years of age and they have to have been here more than one year and they cant be a student etc. etc. etc. oh yeah they can't volunteer for the u.s. military and if they served in the military in their own country they won't be able to serve in the u.s. it goes on and on.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I can tell you from my own experience in my hometown that the vast majority of these people were actually good people who came to The US with good intentions, then found themselves here Illegally, with no money and without being able to speak the language and eventually got involved in the drug business or some other illegal activity. Most of them would do it here in The US, but would never sell drugs in The DR as it is considered shameful in most families. They are just an easy target to blame the increase in crime on.[/QUOTE]

This quote is absolute nonsense. Deliquents are born, some are made. If you came to this country for a better life and then all of a sudden screw it up, then out you go! What's wrong with that?

Dominicans have had a prominant foothold in the international cocaine trade for YEARS. There are young dominican men who come here specifically for this. Their dreams are to have a mansion back in San Fransisco de Macoris and a Mercedes Benz in the driveway. Do not blame Americas' lack of opportunities for illiterate, non-english speakers as the cause that is driving them into crime. That is BS to the max.

One reason why dominicans are so prominent in the drug game is because they can send their proceeds to the DR and noone asks any questions. You can fill a bank up with loot and noone will ask how you made your fortune. So if they are here to commit crimes and sell drugs, why can't we send them home to their stinking thirld world barrios? And if some of them happened to be americanized, that is for the dominican government to deal with, not us.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
Berzin i agree!!

If you have the "GREAT" opportunity to make it to the United States of America and you screw it up then your an idiot.

i don't blame anyone who is not a citizen for trying to get in illegally. to me it show a person with a strong will a will to want to survive and want better opportunities. but most people take the what they think is the easier way out. check out the articles below Associated Press.

http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Prohibition/Reviews and News/International News/Dominican Republic

Last edited:

frank2bad

Sep 30, 2005
tell me

is it true that there are like some kind of officer along the boarder line of the US that is catching illegal aliens from coming into the states. that is stupid, i am pretty sure that there is some place along the boarders that isnt guarded.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
frank2bad said:
is it true that there are like some kind of officer along the boarder line of the US that is catching illegal aliens from coming into the states. that is stupid, i am pretty sure that there is some place along the boarders that isnt guarded.
Gee, I wonder what the US Customs and Border Protection Service of the Department of Homeland Security does? Maybe you should clue them in that they can't protect the whole border 24/7.

T.O.N.Y

Apr 5, 2005
capodominicano said:
One important issue on this topic is those being deported that are raised in the USA. I have met many Dominicans that came here in a very young age (for example 3-7 years old) and never get naturalized citizenship. Imagine those that come at a young age, are brought up as Americans with a bit of Dominican culture commit a crime & then get deported! Are these criminals really Dominicans? I would say NO they are Americans not just because they were raised in America but many are from the lower economic levels & therefore probably have never been to DR, I have met many "Dominicans" that have never been to DR, so exactly whose trash would this type of "Dominican" belong to? The country he was born in or the country he was raised in?

I am not against illegal aliens being deported, I am against residents being deported for many reasons, the biggest reason resident aliens pay taxes & must register for the selective service. If a resident commits a crime I believe they should pay thier debt to American society & stay in America.

On the issue raised by Scandall, most Dominicans do not live in immigrant communities they live in ghettos & yes there is a big difference between immigrant communities & ghettos. Immigrant communities tend to be more peaceful & only have 1 ethnic group for example Hasidac Jewish communities, Little Italy, China Town or the Greenpoint Section in Brooklyn which is mostly Polish.... but Dominicans do not really live in these type of environments where there are just Dominicans, they tend to live with other groups such as Blacks & puertoricans in some rough neighborhoods. Lets take Washington Heights as an example WHs is surround by Harlem, Bronx & a Hasidac Jewish neighborhood, Harlem is harlem it is probably the most dangerous sector of Manhattan island, the bronx neighborhoods that surrond WHs are not the best in matter of fact they are some of the worst in the Bronx and then we have the lovely Hasidac neighborhood where Columbia Univeristy is located. Which neighborhood would impact more a freshly arrived Dominican family? The hasidac neighborhood which is culturally & physically and economically different than Dominicans, Harlem Blacks & Puertoricans which are closer to Dominicans in appearance, culture & economic or the Bronx neighborhoods which again are mostly composed of blacks & puertoricans?
IMO Washington Heights is not an immigrant community but just another ghetto where Dominicans migrate to just due to comfort level. By the way I hate Washington Heights... it truly is a disgrace to Dominicans.

Peace,
Capo

Washington Heights is an immigrant community and ghetto, Harlem doesn't even come into the picture until 145th street and even then some parts of Harlem is starting to see alot of Dominicans. So that's almost 50+ blocks inhabited by Dominican immigrants if that's not an immigrant community then I don't know what is . Also, what makes you so ashamed of Washington Heights??? I have lived here for 18 years and I will say this if you mind your business and not mess with any drugs then no one will touch you or your family members. Compared to other ghettos in America Washington Heights isn't really that bad.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
deportees allowed back to US?

Are people who are deported from US to the DR allowed back in to the US after so many years?

Another question, if someone moves to the US from the DR as a child or a teenager with a parent are they a legal immigrant or do they have to wait until they are an adult to apply for that status?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Are people who are deported from US to the DR allowed back in to the US after so many years?

Another question, if someone moves to the US from the DR as a child or a teenager with a parent are they a legal immigrant or do they have to wait until they are an adult to apply for that status?

No. There name is put into a system. If they try to return it is a felony. They could be jailed and then deported again.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
How many Dominicans do you think came to the USA to get rich quick selling crack and cocaine? I would venture that the number is alot more than you would think. Dom Yorks go back to the DR flashing money and wearing expensive tacky jewelry. They built huge homes with satelite dishes next to run down shacks. They drive expensive SUVS. All these poor guys see this dumb a$$ with alot of money and think, If dumb a$$ can do it Ican definitly do it and make alot more.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
how do they get there?

I read somewhere that there are 350,000 Dominicans in Washington Heights-not sure if that number is correct--how do they all get there? Can a family member sponsor them--is there a limit to how many people someone can sponsor?

mami

Mar 16, 2004

yes they have to wait to be an adult to apply for their own status

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Actually they don't have to wait to be of legal age if one of the parents becomes an American Citizen by naturalization. Read below

What Are the Other Provisions of the Child Citizenship Act?

At least one parent of the child is an American citizen by birth or naturalization.

The American citizen parent has been physically present in the United States for a total of at least five years, at least two of which are after the age of 14. If the child's American citizen parent cannot meet the physical presence requirement, it is enough if one of the child's American citizen grandparents can meet it.
The child is under the age of eighteen.
The child lives abroad in the legal and physical custody of the American citizen parent and has been lawfully admitted into the United States as a nonimmigrant.
Children who acquire citizenship under this new provision do not acquire citizenship automatically. They must apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service in the Department of Homeland Security and go through the naturalization process.

More answers can be found here Immigrants to the U.S.