A Gem of a Town

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
None of those 3 places are in Pedernales.

It's an OK place, been there often. It's a stop on our SW tours I've documented here. But I've yet to have any customer say "Wow! Pedernales! What a place!"

Excuse me, I understand we're talking about the Town of Pedernales, but those places I mentioned are in the province of Pedernales, as Boca Chica is said to belong to Santo Domingo and Punta Cana to Higuey, you wouldn't visit a town just because is a nice town, as I wouldn't visit Puerto Plata or Higuey just to visit... honestly I rather take HOT and DRY Pedernales than hot and ugly Puerto Plata anytime...

Feb 15, 2005
I have yet to see a post with negative comments of Pedernales.

Many visit multiple times after. Which would lead one to believe that it's a great attraction. Once you interact with the residents, you see why it has an old time feel to it. It is said by the residents that one can still fall asleep in the plaza without worry.
Where can you say that about? As I mentioned, 90% of homes are gate-free, that in itself is indicative of the environment.
In the likelihood of "progress" it may change

Last edited:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Last time I was at the Cuevas, they were building something that looked like small 1 room shacks (for lack of a better word) to use as hotels,.....they might be finished now as it was Feb when I was there.....if it is then that would be an excellent place to spend the night......

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Bayahibe

It is John.

Small boutique hotels are plentiful, although places to eat are not (at this time). Hotel D'Leo is both a small boutique hotel with a nice restaurant and there are two other restaurants of which I don;t recall the name right off hand, just know that they are on the main road leading into town.

The restaurant at the Cuevas (Bahia De Las Aguilas) is another option. This last time, we had to go to three hotel before finding availability for 2 nights (Thursday and Friday) as they were booked for the weekend.

AS I mentioned, Las Terrenas and Pedernales have become my two favorite spots, for their own merits.

What do you think of Bayahibe? That is my favorite for a visit together with Las Terrenas.

Feb 15, 2005
What do you think of Bayahibe? That is my favorite for a visit together with Las Terrenas.

I don't know it that well. Only once did I visit and saw the home of I believe former President Clinton. It looks beautiful, although to me the beach of Playa de Coson is spectacular

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002

Hi John, I know the question is not directed to me, but I'll tell you, I think Bayahibe has one of the most beautiful beaches on earth, Dominicus beach, Bayahibe is just gorgeous...

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
It's the perfect town, for a relaxing few days. It'll be smart to reserve your hotel since there is more activity in the area with international groups, tourists, etc.

It's a 2 1/2 hours scenic drive from Barahona, straight road cannot get lost.
Take a tour of ANSE-A-PITRE on the Haiti side. If you're looking for a local guide PM me.

How many hours from Santo Domingo?

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Actually, there are countless small dominican towns all over the DR with what is being described as an " old time feel" to it. Its just that no one goes to visit them. Just go up into the Cordillera Central and start poking around. A whole different word. Better yet if you have a motorcycle. Los Ramones is one of my favorites- a pueblito lost in time. Las Terrenas once was an incredibly peaceful, gorgeous place. But that was 15 years ago.

Aug 19, 2004
Just back from Perdenales and found this thread interesting. For me the thing about Perdenales is the journey there (and Bahia de las Aguilas) rather than the town itself.

It is certainly a clean and tidy place but I am sure for anyone young or with a bit of ambition the best thing about Perdenales is the road out.

"Small boutique hotels are plentiful, although places to eat are not (at this time). "

Like this quote which could only come from an estate agent. With regards to eating things must have improve we enjoyed "informal al-fresco dining with the accent on locally sourced organic products" aka Chimi!