A Good Dominican Movie

C

Chip00

When will there be a good Dominican movie?

Cuando Colon baje el dedo. :)

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I don't think we'll ever see a good dominican movie, because if it was good, it couldn't be made by dominicans for dominicans. They have a different sense of entertainment than us westerners. They don't laugh at the same jokes. They don't get our subtility, and sometimes we fail to see what could be subtle in theirs...

If you are a westerner, and you want to see what dominicans really like, just watch national TV, Telemicro, Colorvision etc... Sabado de Corporan, La opci?n de las doce etc...

If you are dominican reading my post and thinking I am wrong... Well, you are part of the minority then... First, regular dominicans don't read DR1, then most of them don't read english anyway...

Well, just another red neck.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I saw a Spanish film, Princesa-- it was good. Nothing earth shattering. One of the characters played ---unfortunately--- a Dominican prostitute ---- somehow she illegal wound up in Madrid??? she left her child behind in Santo Domingo. There were a lot of references made to the DR. The actress was very pretty. She wasn't Dominican-- she was Puerto Rican though.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
who want to finance a movie?

I think someone should make LuLu Metamorphosis. Some thing like of like the crying game.

maybe it can be directed by Waddys Jaquez... or he can play lulu

did you guys see his one man show PARGO? it was good !!!

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
I still say never. The Dominican movie-producing creative mentality is too limited, too cliched, too narrow, and way too corny to develop anything above and beyond what has already been spewed out there. I have to reiterate and say that we must first broaden our horizons - artistically, aesthetically, and intellectually. It is simply embarrassing to hear and see Dominicans trying to produce, act, or be funny. I say we stick to producing music, baseball players, beer, rum, and coconetes.

-Indie

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Perhaps someone may remake one of author Junot Diaz's works Drown or his latest The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao? Both have received good marks in literary circles. perhaps a movie version could be made?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He has sold the movie rights to Oscar Wao, so yes. But it will be a Hollywood movie, not a homegrown Dominican movie.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Well call me simplistic, but when I think of DR and entertainment, I think of comedies and music.
I personally thought Perico Ripiao and Sanky Panky were funny movies......I also thought Tommy Boy and Old School were funny, but none would be considered good movies by the academy by any stretch of the imagination.

Has anyone seen Yuniol?

El Mystery

Jan 11, 2008
I don't think we'll ever see a good dominican movie, because if it was good, it couldn't be made by dominicans for dominicans. They have a different sense of entertainment than us westerners. They don't laugh at the same jokes. They don't get our subtility, and sometimes we fail to see what could be subtle in theirs...

If you are a westerner, and you want to see what dominicans really like, just watch national TV, Telemicro, Colorvision etc... Sabado de Corporan, La opci?n de las doce etc...

If you are dominican reading my post and thinking I am wrong... Well, you are part of the minority then... First, regular dominicans don't read DR1, then most of them don't read english anyway...

Us "Westerers"? Since when is the Dominican Republic not part of the West?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Since my last post I see a couple of people chimed in. Actually I was talking about movies centered around DR and Dominicans in DR, not movies like "Raising Victor Vargas". I just saw "Un macho de mujer", and it was good for about the 1st 30 minutes, once the "roles" were changed, the movie also changed and it was bad. The ending offered no resolution, left to many unanswered questions and possibilities.

I don't mean to be a harsh critic, but I've seen many films about and/or from Latin America and Spain that are great. Apocalypto (shot in Mexico and about a time period involving Mexico), Abre los ojos (inspired Vanilla Sky), Amores perros, and the list can go on.... are all goods films that do not have huge budgets (except Apocalypto), those films rely on talent and vision, Abre los ojos is a great example.

Apocalypto?

Look at who is the writer, producer and director of this movie.

Yes, no other than Mel Gibson, and last time i checked he is Australian not Mexican,
with more experience in the business than Ali could ever sting like bee in boxing

To say that the DR will never produce a good movie is ridiculous due to your DR?s film industry lack of knowledge.

There is a handful of talent in the DR that have been making good films in the DR and some of their project are good work even though some of them don?t have the necessary funds to employ all the high tech that is included in making a great film including the most important thing, lack of promotion and distribution.

The DR?s film industry is in its infancy and it is getting some headlines only because of the sudden interest of some of Hollywood?s top guns like Robert DeNiro, Andy Garcia, Vin Diesel, Brad Pit and many others wanting to film in the DR.

It is just recently that the government showed some interest in the film industry by designating a special cabinet and a budget for the industry.

Also as the DR continues getting some attention for films in DR territory like Shipwreck, The Lost City, Jurassic Park , The Good Sheppard and Havana it will definitely attract more players and new talent in every aspect of the industry.

So, before many of you open your mouth you should see most of these movies and then talk.

Just because you have watched 2 or 3 DR movies, that doesn?t make you a DR movie industry expert. The DR has many good players in this field but some of them just need the money and support to do greater projects.

You can?t compare the very old Mexican and Spaniard film industry to a brand new DR Film industry.

How many of these work have you seen or knew they even existed?

Un macho de mujer (2006) Comedy
Locos tambien piensan (2005) Action and Comedy
La maldicion del padre Cardona (2005) Comedy Romance
Mi novia esta de madre (2007) Comedy
Un pasaje de ida (1988) Drama
Four men and a coffin (1996) Comedy
Enigma (2007) Horror
Room mate (2006) Drama
Los inmortales (2003) Drama
Pasaporte rojo (2003) Drama
Tropico de sangre (2007) Drama
Viajeros (2006) Drama Action
Para vivir o morir (1996) Drama
Trajedia llenas (2006) Drama
Cristiano de la secreta (2004) Comedy
Operacion Patakon (2007) Action and Comedy
El tercer mundo (2004) Crime and Drama
El sistema (2006) Action
Lilis (2006) Drama Action History
Exito por intercambio (2003) Drama
Crimen (2007) Drama History
Camino malo (2007) Drama
Crazones perdidos (2006) Drama and romance
Ptircia: el regreso del sueno (2007) Drama
Masacre en el rio Yuna (2003) Horror and thriller
Trafico de ninos (1988) Drama
Victimas del poder (1988) Drama
Al filo de la vida (1999) Crime Drama
Johnny, el motoconchista (2006) Drama
Espejisimo (2006) Drama
Relatos (2004) Crime
Maria Jose, oficios del hogar (1986) Drama

Always the same sad story of people that just because they get
a little taste of something think that it makes them automatic
experts on the subject.
subject.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Apocalypto?

Look at who is the writer, producer and director of this movie.

Yes, no other than Mel Gibson, and last time i checked he is Australian not Mexican,
with more experience in the business than Ali could ever sting like bee in boxing

To say that the DR will never produce a good movie is ridiculous due to your DR’s film industry lack of knowledge.

With all due respect Mr DR, you should have read the OP's post more clearly, they never said nor insinuated that Mel Gibson was hispanic, they said:

I don't mean to be a harsh critic, but I've seen many films about and/or from Latin America and Spain that are great. Apocalypto (shot in Mexico and about a time period involving Mexico)...

As far as Domincans making a good movie, I think it is a matter of taste, most Americans find Dominican comedies to be vague or unentertaining at best and feel indifferent about the dramas. However, these movies are made mostly for the Hispanic market and all one needs to do is watch Hispanic television to know that this type of movies and programming are very much different from American fare.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Apocalypto?

Un macho de mujer (2006) Comedy
Locos tambien piensan (2005) Action and Comedy
La maldicion del padre Cardona (2005) Comedy Romance
Mi novia esta de madre (2007) Comedy
Un pasaje de ida (1988) Drama
Four men and a coffin (1996) Comedy
Enigma (2007) Horror
Room mate (2006) Drama
Los inmortales (2003) Drama
Pasaporte rojo (2003) Drama
Tropico de sangre (2007) Drama
Viajeros (2006) Drama Action
Para vivir o morir (1996) Drama
Trajedia llenas (2006) Drama
Cristiano de la secreta (2004) Comedy
Operacion Patakon (2007) Action and Comedy
El tercer mundo (2004) Crime and Drama
El sistema (2006) Action
Lilis (2006) Drama Action History
Exito por intercambio (2003) Drama
Crimen (2007) Drama History
Camino malo (2007) Drama
Crazones perdidos (2006) Drama and romance
Ptircia: el regreso del sueno (2007) Drama
Masacre en el rio Yuna (2003) Horror and thriller
Trafico de ninos (1988) Drama
Victimas del poder (1988) Drama
Al filo de la vida (1999) Crime Drama
Johnny, el motoconchista (2006) Drama
Espejisimo (2006) Drama
Relatos (2004) Crime
Maria Jose, oficios del hogar (1986) Drama

Well Mr Critic, are they good or what????????

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Well Mr Critic, are they good or what????????

Hidalgo,

I personally like many of these movies but the world is full of critics and what I may like and find entertaining you may think differently. But I will never watch one movie and say that all other Dominican movies stink and that there will never be a very good Dominican movie based on just watching one or two movies.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I've seen many Dominican films.

Mr_DR if you bother to read the OP carefully you will see that the person never said he or she saw one or two movies but many. It seems they are making an educated opinion on the subject. I personally do not agree with all that's written, but I don't make assumptions on what is not there.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Mr_DR if you bother to read the OP carefully you will see that the person never said he or she saw one or two movies but many. It seems they are making an educated opinion on the subject. I personally do not agree with all that's written, but I don't make assumptions on what is not there.

I can almost guarantee you they did not know about more than half these movies
Specially when one rated negocios son negocios as the highest when in fact some of these productions will blow negocios son negocios away....Believe me most of them only know of the existence of Perico Ripiao, negocios, nueva yol, sanky, and andrea.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Well I liked "La maldicion del padre Cardona" although a comedy I thought it was some what similar to a mexican movie, I can't remember the exact title but it was starring Jael Garica.. " Los crimen del padre amaro"?

Thought "Apocalipto" was a great film.. I didn't think it got the reviews that it deserved.. would like to see something similar done in DR .with the Tainos yet not to have all that focus on Christopher Colombus.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hidalgo,

I personally like many of these movies but the world is full of critics and what I may like and find entertaining you may think differently. But I will never watch one movie and say that all other Dominican movies stink and that there will never be a very good Dominican movie based on just watching one or two movies.

No offense, but I have seen tons of Spanish and Mexican movies, not to mention from other countries incl. the Us, and I have yet to see one that I could say that I liked. Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that these places can't make a good movie based on my criteria, which is subjective of course. What that means is that I think they are on the whole bad and unappealing, but that if you like them, keep on watching them. Again, it is a matter of personal preference and it should be no surprise that most Americans would not like the type of movies I have mentioned.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I saw Perico Ripiao recently and it was much, much better than I expected. It evoked the 'period' (1970s) really well without overdoing it at all, the acting and humour were charmingly goofy without being excessively slapstick or crude. It is, however, the only Dominican movie I have ever seen, apart from bits of Nueba Yol years ago.

I can think of dozens of superb films from other parts of the Spanish-speaking world - mainly the larger countries like Argentina, Colombia, Mexico and Spain - but as Chip says, it is totally subjective: if I'm asked to name my favourite films of all time, while Hollywood-made films will feature, so will Australian, New Zealand, Spanish, Brazilian, Italian and British movies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You know I have been wanting to rent that movie, "Perico Ripiado" maybe I finally will this time. Also, since I live here in Santiago, I get to watch a lot of foreign movies from Spain and Mexico.

What I find about the movies from Mexico is there are two types, one poorly made action movies where it looks like they are firing cap guns and the other are comedies from the 70's and 80's with this guy with curly hair whose only purpose in life is to get women naked and get in bed with them.

As far as the Spanish movies, apart from their accent, which seems so self gratuitous, the themes are so dark and odd I often feel depressed after a short time. On the whole I have rarely seen anything positive or uplifting or anything close remotely considered as action.

A far as foreign movies in general, there have been quite a few that I have enjoyed and can't understand why I haven't at least seen a decent one from the places I have mentioned. Although this isn't for lack of trying, I check out the channels every night in hope that I will be inspired, usually to no avail. Then again a lot of the fare coming from Hollywood anymore is leaving a lot to be desired(especially the horror movies). Maybe the secret to success of Hollywood is the sheer volume they put out, statistically speaking, something good has to come out of all of the garbage they proliferate.