A-Rod "Show me the money."

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
think about that comment for a minute

A-Rod not a real ballplayer! look at the kids numbers and past records and the records he is about to brake...he is not going to ths Hall for his money!
Don Mattingly is not returning!!!...Giraldi may be the manager....this is not good for A-Rod...nor any of the other veterans....:ermm: A-Rod would be great with pinella, leland, Torre?, or D Baker...but don't get it twisted A-Rod is the future of baseball, it's just people can't get past his money!:ermm:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
And I thought people hated Bonds!!!

BTW, how cool was it that one of the Bosox principals last night mentioned DR when speaking about baseball fans of Red Sox Nation!!

I'm sure Boras was the one behind announcing that during the WS. As for A-Rod, he's not really a baseball player. He's a businessman - a lot like Jordan was or Tiger is, or any great athlete today. In it for the money. The sport is only the means!

No, the sport comes first. You have any idea what sort of dedication it takes to be a great athlete?

And as far as these guys are in it for the money, what would you do? Play for the league minimum if you also happen to be the best player in your sport?

I'd rather see the players get this money than the owners-nobody goes to a baseball game to see Steinbrenner play, so let them get rich.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
they have been mentioning Big Poppy and Manny as the "dominican duo" all through the world series on US tv....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
And I thought people hated Bonds!!!

BTW, how cool was it that one of the Bosox principals last night mentioned DR when speaking about baseball fans of Red Sox Nation!!

I'm sure Boras was the one behind announcing that during the WS. As for A-Rod, he's not really a baseball player. He's a businessman - a lot like Jordan was or Tiger is, or any great athlete today. In it for the money. The sport is only the means!

You are missing something if you think Jordan or Tiger were/are in it for the money!

Jordan was underpaid for most of his career and was the true epitome of a team player even though he had unmatched personal skills - remember Paxon and Pippens? would anybody remember them w/o Jorda?

As far as Tiger goes, I don't remember that anyone is paying him a "salary" to play. If I remmeber correctly, he has to play well to win money. As far as his Nike contract, Nike pays the best in the world because they want to, not because they have to like the baseball owners.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que "hombre"....

Hey Cleefy, tell us how you feel about Rodriguez NOW and how you would feel about him if he ever signs with the SUCKS!!.

Come on, let's see if you can make me agree with you, wahahaha!!.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'm on record

Hey Cleefy, tell us how you feel about Rodriguez NOW and how you would feel about him if he ever signs with the SUCKS!!.

Come on, let's see if you can make me agree with you, wahahaha!!.
Predictably, your dream scenario would be my nightmare.

Thankfully, it's as plausible as the Rockies owner's belief that he had the better team, and that they'd have won a 10-game series (paraphrasing his comments last night). That means Josh Fogg would have beaten the World Champions at some point. The owner is more than mile-high, he's "miguel-high".

What the hell would the World Champions do with MeRod?

What can they do with Lowell?

That's proven, he'll be back with the World Champions.

If my nightmare comes true, I'll stay true to my word and give up on baseball all together.

I'll also fly to NYCity, stip naked through Washington Heights with a Hipolito Mejia facemask on, calling everyone "conos", while smashing grandes and spilling red beans over my mangu slathered body.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hook....hook...sink.......

Slow in SUCKSNUTion?..

Hey, am I the only one who think even AFTER winning the WS the SUCKS are second bananas to the Yankees?.

Think about it, a story leaked by Rodriguez's agent and words of Girardi being offered a contract to manage the Yankees are what EVERYBODY is talking about, even in SUCKSCITY.

It's NOT fair, darn it, give the SUCKS some credit!.

Miguel,

look at what the Sox have done. They have a great mix of young players and veterans. They do not rely solely on the home run to drive in runs. They get clutch production from batters 1 through 9 and they don't have to resort to pathetic gimmicks like signing that steroid puppy Roger Clemens, who went 5-5 and an ERA as bloated as his torso and got paid a kings' ransom for it.

Right now the "Sucks" as you call them are playing the game better than the Yankees, and there is no end in sight.

Unless the Steinbrenners swallow their pride and pay A-Rod his 300 million over the next 8 years, they are losing their major draw and the best regular season offensive producer in the majors.

This may be the domino effect that could set them back for years. Who knows if Pettite, Posada and Rivera sign on again? Are you really willing to pay major cash to a bunch of aging veterans instead of investing in some young talent? They are all going to want 2-3 year contracts and their production will go down every year because of age.

So yeah, say what you want-but the "Sucks" are going one way and the Yankees the other. Lets' see what happens in the off season.

Sep 19, 2005
I totally understand A-rods plan to opt out...if the yankees want to get upset and not make any offers...thats their chouice.

he is just like anyone they might replace him with..if the guy is good enough ..YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY TO GET HIM!!

It would ber a totally different story if it were Jeter....because Jeter has never been anythign BUT a yankee....so he can go his whole career with one team.
I think that is worth something( in terms of giving up some long term cash)

but A-rod has already bounced around a little so there is nothign to loose to keep moving and picking up more cash.

besides there is truth to the big unknown in ny now that georges sons are up front....

maybe they will be WORSE than he was!!!

The yankees paid a lot of money for little return for a few big names in the past 5 years....

but they should have kept Alex i think.

look what they paid roger...look what they paid Giambi......

bob

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Wahahahahaha!!.

Miguel,

look at what the Sox have done. They have a great mix of young players and veterans. They do not rely solely on the home run to drive in runs. They get clutch production from batters 1 through 9 and they don't have to resort to pathetic gimmicks like signing that steroid puppy Roger Clemens, who went 5-5 and an ERA as bloated as his torso and got paid a kings' ransom for it.

Right now the "Sucks" as you call them are playing the game better than the Yankees, and there is no end in sight.

Unless the Steinbrenners swallow their pride and pay A-Rod his 300 million over the next 8 years, they are losing their major draw and the best regular season offensive producer in the majors.

This may be the domino effect that could set them back for years. Who knows if Pettite, Posada and Rivera sign on again? Are you really willing to pay major cash to a bunch of aging veterans instead of investing in some young talent? They are all going to want 2-3 year contracts and their production will go down every year because of age.

So yeah, say what you want-but the "Sucks" are going one way and the Yankees the other. Lets' see what happens in the off season.
Hey, thanks for quoting my post BEFORE Doinky deleted it.

Berzin, the SUCKS played 20 times better than the Yankees this year.

For that reason I predicted, LOOOOONG ago, they were going to win the WS and the Yankees were going to win shyt!!.

The Yankees NEED to get rid of MOST of their players for them to win, including, like I said before, most of those "ancient" players.

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
A-Rod carry the Yankees for 4 years into the playoffs,two of them as a MVP, without him the Yankees would not make it. And what about the others?? when A-Rod failed so did the Yankees, the 4 years that he did not produced in the playoff the Yankees lost, and then the Jeters, Steroid 120million Yanbee, the fuel less rocket, snake johnson, Joe Torres etc where spare of all the failure. Stop talking nonsense , A-Rod was treated really badly in NY

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Jees...Give the guy a break. Stop being such player haterzs (no pun intended). Bottom line is A-Rod is the best there is, Scott Boras is the best in the business, Yankees didn't make it but it wasn't because of A-Rod, they are unhappy they are losing the gravy train they've had for all these years paying next to nothing for the best player (Texas pays the lion share of his salary). Any team should be happy to have him...

A-Rod is not any more or less selfish than any other player in Baseball. He's in it for the money (maybe the ring) just like everyone else...

So please stop with the annoying name calling (me-rod).

Cleef, MQ:You should just be happy the Sox won and that Alex is leaving NY and you won't have him as a direct threat. Enjoy your win and stop hating...

Jruane: The Yankees deserve what they get. As long as Steinbrenner is involved I hope they continue to spend tons of money and get little to show for it...

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
They were chanting....

This afternoon at Fenway Park (Boston), there was a huge rally for the arrival of Red Sox players who were fresh back from their World Series victory. At the rally, the crowd was chanting {very very loud} "Don't Sign A-Rod" - And the media was on hand to cover it all - Also, the owers of the Red Sox were there and the General Managers.

It was evident that the fans who were in attendance at this rally do not support the possibility of ARod coming to Boston.

It will be interesting to watch .

t1_alexrodriguez.jpg

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I am.

Cleef,:You should just be happy the Sox won and that Alex is leaving NY and you won't have him as a direct threat. Enjoy your win and stop hating...
I'm loving it, not "hating" it. I just had to remind a poster that we've established the fact that he's a selfish prick. His teammates, former and current, would likely agree, perhaps even more so today than yesterday. I'm not criticizing (hating) what the guy has done this time, just reminding a wayward soul to the reputation of MeRod.

I'd rather he stayed in NY for two reasons.

First, he's been a loser everywhere he's gone, and that would fit perfectly into my plan to have Red Sox (World Champions) Nation take over the world. He'd likely be the antidote to those that feel they can't cross over to the good side.

Secondly, if he had any pride whatsoever, he'd stay in NY and make it work. For the "man", that has everything else he could ever dream of, both personally and professionally, wouldn't it be nice to turn those NY frowns into smiles and adulation?

10 years from now, he'll be looking back at his (life) choices and likely see this time as a juncture in his reputation.

He either leaves and fleeces another dumb baseball owner out of close to half a billion dollars (with VERY little guarantee of winning anything - no team has ever invested more than 16% of their salary in one player and won anything). He'll also leave a wake of bad feelings with a huge sporting population. Even if he wins a couple rings somewhere else (a huge long-shot in comparison to being in pinstripes) I think he'll still be looked upon poorly.

Or, he can stay with the MFY - the greatest sports franchise in our lifetime* - and finish something he started. He said he came to NY to win championships and so far they haven't done so. It's his third team, and it's his best shot to get it done. The MFYs can afford him and they have what it takes to win.

Now he thinks otherwise?

I think working something out with the MFYs was the way to go. It would be a great challenge to sway the fans back in his favor, but a championship would go a long way.

Big challenge, but a huge reward. Certainly more positive than turning your back again and going off into free-agent oblivion.

*The NE Pats are the greatest franchise of my lifetime. But I'll say it's the MFYs to satisfied you gray beards.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I certainly am not a me-rod fan...but i DONT Think his decision is all about money.

THe Yanks are in complete termoil right now. Torre gone...many other players who are open for free agency as well...and the NY fans and press have not been all to friendly to him since he came here....and he also plays second fiddle to jeter.

THe yanks were ready to extend his contract for great money...and in fact he might actually make LESS money in free agency.

sooo..i dont really think its about the money...i just dont think he's ever been happy here.

and NO..i dont want to see him go to Boston. #1 they dont need him, #2 their payroll is already too big, #3 i think he wants to play shortstop and be the diva on the team (jeter owns both those titles in nyc).

Again...not a me-rod fan...but when you are making SOOO much f'ing money why not try to find a job where you will be happier at?

Oh..and i forgot to mention that George is losing his controll of the club. with such termoil there i can see why he would want to ditch. Lets see where the other free agent players end up this year.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Bien dicho....

Jees...Give the guy a break. Stop being such player haterzs (no pun intended). Bottom line is A-Rod is the best there is, Scott Boras is the best in the business, Yankees didn't make it but it wasn't because of A-Rod, they are unhappy they are losing the gravy train they've had for all these years paying next to nothing for the best player (Texas pays the lion share of his salary). Any team should be happy to have him...

A-Rod is not any more or less selfish than any other player in Baseball. He's in it for the money (maybe the ring) just like everyone else...

So please stop with the annoying name calling (me-rod).

Cleef, MQ:You should just be happy the Sox won and that Alex is leaving NY and you won't have him as a direct threat. Enjoy your win and stop hating...

Jruane: The Yankees deserve what they get. As long as Steinbrenner is involved I hope they continue to spend tons of money and get little to show for it...
Indeed.....Nicely said......10,000% true...Gustele a quien le guste....

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Blaaaaah, blaaaah and more blaaaaaaah blaaaaaah...

You can't stand the guy because you are jealous of him and his talents and you want EVERYBODY to sing along with you.

You also hate the fact that even AFTER winner the World Series, the SUCKS are still second bananas to "anything Yankees".

End of story!!.

hate to bust your bubble Miguel (my friend)...but i think we can finaly say that the yanks are second to boston for a change.

Check out the NY daily news and other NYC papers. THe NYY dynasty is OVER. I am not saying this to be mean...but for real. I have lived thru other dynasties and seen them die (1980's celts 70's bruins i.e.). A-rod aint the first one jumping ship...nor do i think he will be the last.

THe days of King George are over...and no-one seems to like his sons.

i am SO not yankee bashing here (dont need to today...grin)..and not gloating over the sox sweep either. but something has definitely shifted in the east here.

THere was a big story in the Daily News (i know miguel..u dont like that rag)...but they predict the sox are only going to get hotter with their young team development program and farm teams. Interesting.

AY AY AY...it IS nice to be a boston sports fan these days tho (ok..now i am gloating) Sox sweep...the Pats are F'ing hot!! (big game this week tho), The celts FINALY have a team and heck...even the bruins are playing well!!!

ok..i am digressing...but what about 3 out of four championships!!!!

but yeah...back to A-rod...when the ship is sinking the rats are the first ones to jump ship.!

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
...You also hate the fact that even AFTER winner the World Series, the SUCKS are still second bananas to "anything Yankees".

End of story!!.
I agree. Who gives a f#$% the sucks won? Boston has been and always will be a second grade team. Nobody cares about Boston except Bostonians. The entire world would be celebrating today if the Yankees won the World Series ... even if the Marlins won, the entire world would be celebrating. Sucks are suckies!!!!!! :laugh:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No senor.....

hate to bust your bubble Miguel (my friend)...but i think we can finaly say that the yanks are second to boston for a change.

Check out the NY daily news and other NYC papers. THe NYY dynasty is OVER. I am not saying this to be mean...but for real. I have lived thru other dynasties and seen them die (1980's celts 70's bruins i.e.). A-rod aint the first one jumping ship...nor do i think he will be the last.

THe days of King George are over...and no-one seems to like his sons.

i am SO not yankee bashing here (dont need to today...grin)..and not gloating over the sox sweep either. but something has definitely shifted in the east here.

THere was a big story in the Daily News (i know miguel..u dont like that rag)...but they predict the sox are only going to get hotter with their young team development program and farm teams. Interesting.

AY AY AY...it IS nice to be a boston sports fan these days tho (ok..now i am gloating) Sox sweep...the Pats are F'ing hot!! (big game this week tho), The celts FINALY have a team and heck...even the bruins are playing well!!!

ok..i am digressing...but what about 3 out of four championships!!!!

but yeah...back to A-rod...when the ship is sinking the rats are the first ones to jump ship.!
Hey, you are NOT "busting my bubbles"...

I am the first one to admit that the Yankees played like pus^%$* when they played Cleveland.

I also predict they WILL be toast if they don't get rid of their "old bones", especially "money hungry Clemens".

Indeed, there no reason why the SUCKS can't win in years to come.

They sure have the talent.

Now, don't get mad at me for saying what most fans, true fans are saying (and the media too) that even if the SUCKS won, people are more interested in hearing what's going on with Alex and who the Yankees are signing to manage the Yankees (basically, "anything Yankees").

Look at it this way, even SOME SUCKS fans are more interested in what's going on with the Yankees!.

Just look around, wahahahaha!!.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Killer!

I agree. Who gives a f#$% the sucks won? Boston has been and always will be a second grade team. Nobody cares about Boston except Bostonians. The entire world would be celebrating today if the Yankees won the World Series ... even if the Marlins won, the entire world would be celebrating. Sucks are suckies!!!!!! :laugh:

As they say, if you're going to be stupid, at least be funny. That made me laugh pretty good.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Jruane: The Yankees deserve what they get. As long as Steinbrenner is involved I hope they continue to spend tons of money and get little to show for it...[/QUOTE]

I agree, I cant stand the Yankees. Lets go Mets!

Status
Not open for further replies.