AA new widebody plane starting in december 2012

edm7583

May 29, 2007
You are either a shareholder who is not telling the truth or very very lucky. Since you have 3800 posts and are a respected member here, I will assume you are very lucky. Please give me the lottery numbers for this Saturday! My experience with AA is different than yours.

All depends on what your expectations are. Like any other business, AA treats is best customers very well. Business class service on AA, despite the older 757's going to SDQ, is quite good compared to the other US airlines. If you fly with them frequently enough to get elite status you will often get upgrades to business class very easily if there are empty business class seats left after cut off time for check-in.Passengers paying $350 round trip are bound not to get quite the royal treatment as passengers paying $700-$800 or more for their ticket, or who travel very frequently. For those who wait until you get that $89 fare each way plus tax for that once a year trip, then complain about how awful the experience was, AA can't afford to keep your business.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
This is just a guess on my part, but I suspect on the DR runs, most of the passengers are counting every penny they spend, and few pay the business class upgrade. What happens is they end up putting coach paying people in those seats - I know because it's happened to me several times. So, you offer the $30 upgrade, and someone like me will pay it to be insured a more comfy seat with more room, close to the front. That way they made $30 they wouldn't have had otherwise.

Spirit does the same thing on their planes, offering the front/wider/more comfy seats at a small premium.

You are kiddong right? I fly AA to DR a LOT. Exc platinum on AA for years so fly business 99% of the time. Most of the passengers flying business are domincans that wouldn't be caught dead flying coach. Maybe flights to north cosst as that is a budget destination, but SDQ and STI? Nope.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You are kiddong right? I fly AA to DR a LOT. Exc platinum on AA for years so fly business 99% of the time. Most of the passengers flying business are domincans that wouldn't be caught dead flying coach. Maybe flights to north cosst as that is a budget destination, but SDQ and STI? Nope.

No, I'm not kidding. I see it all the time, the excitement on the coach passengers when they exclaim 'Oh, they put me in first class!!!' because they're given a Business Class upgrade. And it makes sense - why have an empty seat when they can at least get a coach fare out of someone

And I've never flown anywhere except SDQ since 1975.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I don't get all the hate on AA. If I have to choose a company to fly to STI, AA/Delta business class gets my vote. I know it isn't like flying Singapore/Korean/Asiana Air first/business class but AA/Delta business class makes you feel like you are on a plane not on a stretched bus with wings.

As for Wide body plane...
It will only be be used for select international flights and we all know DR won't be on the list.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
No, I'm not kidding. I see it all the time, the excitement on the coach passengers when they exclaim 'Oh, they put me in first class!!!' because they're given a Business Class upgrade. And it makes sense - why have an empty seat when they can at least get a coach fare out of someone

And I've never flown anywhere except SDQ since 1975.

And you never see business class filled with dominicans that paid for business class tickets? I have flown hundreds of flights on AA to SDQ. Rarely if ever see a non exec plat person getting a free upgrade. Dominicans that have a few bucks try to flash that around. Flying 1st or business, designer luggage, high end yipetas, bottles of johnny walker black and above etc etc etc.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I also fly AA almost exclusivley. I have noticed that since they declared bankrupcy the selections for AAdvantage reward flights have become more expensive (more miles) or are horrible and/or overnight connections. Even the BOS-SDQ routes reserved a year in advance (329 days is all they allow) are 30K miles one way or the 17K flights include routing throughBOS- DFW-MIA-SDQ(?) or overnight at JFK(!).
I have always used The AA credit card but lately I have been giving JetBlue another look. Even though thier direct flights BOS-SDQ are in the middle of the night it may end up being a better choice. With all the problems with ladrones while leaving the airport I am a little reluctant to be driving around and/or wandering the streets of Santo Domingo at 4AM, but the mounting problems with AA are at least making me think about it. JetBlue has many other BOS-SDQ connections and the planes seem to be nicer.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I fly AA all time to and from DR to the US. I fly business or first class and the service is ok. Some flights better than others. I have tried Delta and US Air but basically all 3 seemed the same to me service wise. Pricewise on AA I seem to do a bit better for the upgrades in class. Using my mileage for reward travel is fairly easy if I plan ahead My only complaint on using AA (and this is not their fault) is if I have to go through Miami. Nightmare each and every time. Unfortunately when going to and from the west coast of the US your choices are limited, mostly changes in Miami or New York. The only bright point of Miami is the distance to DR is shorter.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
You are either a shareholder who is not telling the truth or very very lucky. Since you have 3800 posts and are a respected member here, I will assume you are very lucky. Please give me the lottery numbers for this Saturday! My experience with AA is different than yours.

sorry to hear that. when i'm on the plane i focus on one thing and one thing only...CHICAS/TICAS/COLUMBIANAS/ETC....!!