Accident in Las Terranes/Samana (Monte Plata)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Chatarras with Slicks

After the recent 2 major accidents on that road which caused at least 19 deaths, immediately Dominicans started to blame the road.
{Most likely because it cannot be that Dominican drivers could be at fault. :laugh: }

Nobody will ever be able to prevent those accidents.
Chatarras with slicks and little brains... :classic:

donP

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
I have just overheard a conversation between two girls at my house saying that man by the name of Juan is dead as a result of an accident to the guagua fro Santo Domingo
this afternoon/evening, I know no more. Anybody know more because it is a service that I use far too often.

see what happens when you go cheap....

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Tell me lovemedo how else do you travel LT - SD now that they've taken away the plane from El Portillo?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not only going cheap...

When one gets on a vehicle and has to stand, that's a risk. One with no seat belts is a risk. Lots of unsecured cargo in the racks and on the floor, another risk. A small minibus vs a full-sized bus another risk. The decisions and risks one takes has a lot to do with determining whether one gets the chance to survive/walk away from a vehicular mishap.

If the impact and initial crush doesn't kill you, and the sudden deceleration doesn't kill you, getting hit by an unsecured body or backpack just may. Just getting hit in the head by a shower of unsecured cellphones travelling at 100 km/h may be enough to turn the lights out.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Only Choice

see what happens when you go cheap....

Not only going cheap... The decisions and risks one takes has a lot to do with determining whether one gets the chance to survive/walk away from a vehicular mishap.

May I remind you of the fact that there is no train going from LT to SD and walking is not really an option.
Thus, your suggestion is?? :cross-eye

donP

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
May I remind you of the fact that there is no train going from LT to SD and walking is not really an option.
Thus, your suggestion is?? :cross-eye

donP

Run or bicycle but both options wouldn't be safe on the autopista :)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Life Is Risky.

Run or bicycle but both options wouldn't be safe on the autopista :)

... nor was the former choice of flying.
There was a fatal crash... although it happened years ago.

So, a boat charter or horseback then? :laugh:

donP

Last edited:

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
In LT better get in to the bus at the Cemetery. Seat Reservation in advance is of no use if you get later into a full guagua.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Your suggestion is??

I wasn't offering a suggestion or an alternative, merely pointing out that if one places themselves into a position with a higher than reasonable amount of risk, then they do so knowing that if there is a problem they may not be as "safe" as they could be.

Everyone who gets on an airplane, does so accepting the risk. Getting on an aircraft without an available seat is not an option. If that was an option, doing so would be rather stupid. Riding in a land vehicle in the DR travelling at highway speeds without a seat or seat belt presents a higher degree of risk to oneself. The individual makes their own choice. I wouldn't do that, but that's me. Where one chooses to sit may also have an impact (pun intended) on one's chances of surviving a crash.

Here in the DR I only ride in full sized buses. I have chosen to get off a bus that had no seat belt that I could use. I took a later bus. I realize that my situation provides choices that others do not have but that does not absolve someone from making the safest choice possible and weighing the risks vs the benefits. Much is beyond the control of the travelling public - driver competence, mechanical condition of the vehicle road conditions, other drivers etc., but some prudent choices can prove advantageous if all does not go as planned.

This is not an all or nothing proposition. Every activity carries some sort of inherent risks. Some of these risks can be mitigated after reasoned consideration. Some still choose not to "over think" things and rely solely on the roll of the dice. That was my sole point.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best....

donP

Dec 14, 2008
We know all that, but...

I wasn't offering a suggestion or an alternative, merely pointing out that if one places themselves into a position with a higher than reasonable amount of risk, then they do so knowing that if there is a problem they may not be as "safe" as they could be.

Everyone who gets on an airplane, does so accepting the risk. Getting on an aircraft without an available seat is not an option. If that was an option, doing so would be rather stupid. Riding in a land vehicle in the DR travelling at highway speeds without a seat or seat belt presents a higher degree of risk to oneself. The individual makes their own choice. I wouldn't do that, but that's me. Where one chooses to sit may also have an impact (pun intended) on one's chances of surviving a crash.

Here in the DR I only ride in full sized buses. I have chosen to get off a bus that had no seat belt that I could use. I took a later bus. I realize that my situation provides choices that others do not have but that does not absolve someone from making the safest choice possible and weighing the risks vs the benefits. Much is beyond the control of the travelling public - driver competence, mechanical condition of the vehicle road conditions, other drivers etc., but some prudent choices can prove advantageous if all does not go as planned.

This is not an all or nothing proposition. Every activity carries some sort of inherent risks. Some of these risks can be mitigated after reasoned consideration. Some still choose not to "over think" things and rely solely on the roll of the dice. That was my sole point.

This is a very clever observation. :rolleyes:

Back to the question:
How would you suggest to travel from Las Terrenas to Santo Domingo?

donP

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
another accident this morning, I'm told...

those roads are bad.
canted the wrong way in places

WW, I have driven that road close to 100 times and it is one of the best single carriageway roads in the country.

The lousy drivers who see an empty road and forget it was designed for 50km/hr in the Parque and 80km/hr elsewhere as signposted.

Drive at 120km/hr and the cambers don't work.........you slide off the road.

I am guessing you are a speedster when you get on an open road too. LoL

(I doubt if the principles of highway design have changed much since I as trained in this area many years ago.)

And yes there are design flaws or cost saving issues........it floods close to peage 2 and the wearing course is s##t. But at 50 and 80 no issues unless you have a death wish, are blind or don't know how to drive in the wet.......or are drunk.