Accident while driving someone elses car...who is responsible?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
YOU are responsible , Ethically , Morally, and hopefully Legally...

Are you sure? After all, we are talking about the DR.
I've never heard of anyone actually being responsible
for anything that happens here... unless of course you
happen to be a gringo :cheeky:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
My apologies, I assumed the OP is a Gringo.... in which case as you say, he is 100% responsible..
and should consider himself lucky that no Lawyer is yet involved.. or a moto guy got hurt hitting the parked car , in which case his Parked Car would have been deemed "badly parked".

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
And I was a sexual advisor in a former life, people kept telling me. "If I want your f*cking advice I'll ask for it"
Come to think of it I'm still a sexual advisor.........

So are you going to give him some sexual advise on his car problem?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
read my lips Derf....

see the quotes above my post ????

Follow the clues.... like breadcrumbs in the forest.....
Hansel & Gretel was it ?

May 5, 2007
Huh, despite all the "legal" advice on DR1, the guy may not be responsible at all I believe he said there was no agreement or contract so who is to say what he could or could not do with the borrowed car (If I lend someone my car (It is fully insured so this is hypothetical) and she returns with a nice dent in side, sure she should offer to pay but I lack any means to force payment.

Maybe he mentioned he wanted to use it in a demolition derby and the owner said OK or just smiled, not knowing (Hard to figure how he can place a "mechanics lien" on a car other than the one in question but it is the DR)

In reality, pay the thing

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hi! I recently bought a car from a car agency here in Sosua and the next day there were problems with the motor so the car dealer agency took the car back to repair it and loaned me one of their rental cars to drive meanwhile they were fixing mine.(They gave me no contracct to sign and there was no talk of insurance)

It took 10 days to fix my new car and meanwhile while parked on the street someone backed into the front of the car they loaned me and took off while I wasn't there to see who did it.

When I went to the car dealer to pick up my car I showed him the damages to the front of the rental car that someone else had done and he told me it was my responsibility to pay for it.

The bill came to about $350USD and he wont give me the title on my new car till I pay it.

Who is supposed to pay for the damages? He says he only has minimal car insurance de Ley and I have to pay. I also have minimal car insurance de Ley. Thank you ahead of time for any of your expertise!!!

Legal / shmegal opinion...

here's the problem that needs fixing..

In that light, arguing about the responsibility seems minor and insignificant.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
There is no question that you are responsible for the damages. You should have asked about insurance when you accepted the car. It's only $350, they could have gouged you and charged you $1300.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The OP has the right to take it to the repair shop of his choice as long as the owner is good with the repair. He can either do that or pay the $350.

Personally, I'd take it to a shop myself and fix it before the owner even knew about it.
I had a friend who ran his rental into a ditch driving the old touristica road when drunk. He was freaking out because there was a LOT if damage---bumper, lights, dented hood and bashed quarterpanel---and he knew the rental company would screw him. So we took it to a backyard body shop in Santiago. Three days and $400 later the car looked new and the rental company never knew the difference.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I had a friend who ran his rental into a ditch driving the old touristica road when drunk. He was freaking out because there was a LOT if damage---bumper, lights, dented hood and bashed quarterpanel---and he knew the rental company would screw him. So we took it to a backyard body shop in Santiago. Three days and $400 later the car looked new and the rental company never knew the difference.

I have a friend in the rental biz on North Coast. We were talking about his 500 usd deductible. I asked him something about the logistics of getting everything covered when a car is really damaged. He got a little grin and said he can get a car almost completely rebuilt for 500.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I have a friend in the rental biz on North Coast. We were talking about his 500 usd deductible. I asked him something about the logistics of getting everything covered when a car is really damaged. He got a little grin and said he can get a car almost completely rebuilt for 500.

He is good People,
I never had a problem paying the guy for small damage ,, that guy has always treated me RIGHT..
and that kind of Friendship goes a LONG way...
One time i even owed him the money from one trip to another for a scratch on the door. ( like 1 Mil pesos) . he did not even blink about it ..
If he was a bad guy he could have jammed me up at the Airport ..
People like this who run an Honest Shop, deserve to get paid, when you do a little damage or a scratch to the rental car..

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
It is your responsibility here, Russia, France, England, Argentina and the good old USA........etc

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Gawd I probably shouldn't wade into this thread but here goes. Don't know the legalities in the DR. I like the idea of taking pics and offering less as a way of bargaining down. But here in the US, insurance is written on the car. It follows the car not the driver. The owner is ultimately on the hook for repairs. When you loan someone your car you are "loaning" your coverage. If this shop owner only had liability then why should I think he had any other concern than to bodily or property damage to others. He certainly can't claim damages to his car. Again, I'm only stating how it works here as a former agency owner.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi! I recently bought a car from a car agency here in Sosua and the next day there were problems with the motor so the car dealer agency took the car back to repair it and loaned me one of their rental cars to drive meanwhile they were fixing mine.(They gave me no contracct to sign and there was no talk of insurance)

It took 10 days to fix my new car and meanwhile while parked on the street someone backed into the front of the car they loaned me and took off while I wasn't there to see who did it.

When I went to the car dealer to pick up my car I showed him the damages to the front of the rental car that someone else had done and he told me it was my responsibility to pay for it.

The bill came to about $350USD and he wont give me the title on my new car till I pay it.

Who is supposed to pay for the damages? He says he only has minimal car insurance de Ley and I have to pay. I also have minimal car insurance de Ley. Thank you ahead of time for any of your expertise!!!

There in lies the rub? Buyer beware. I would say the right thing to do would be to pay either all or part of the cost of repairing the loaner vehicle. You may be able to get him to agree to let's say $300usds. He really has you by the you know what's. The problem is if you make a big production to resolve this it could make it a lot worse. I would give him $250-$300, get the vehicle you bought and have a nice day.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
If he loaned you the car it should have ins. that covers you. You should be liable for the deductible and nothing more. And if you have a gold or platinum card, that would cover it, Been there done that.